A/C issue

Also Jimmy PM me how much it would cost me to bring the car to you for the A/C compressor job. It mine has truly gone then i may come to you for this a few other minor things. Like Komseh did.

Lol I guess I was lucky with my dealings all the years I lived there. Oh I know there are some shady ones around though, I just avoided them. Well I mainly have taken car to the Raleigh area.

Friend of mine, Cody Forbes, long-time Audi mechanic, owner and race driver, is in the Charlotte area. I’ve pinged him for the name and location of his shop, and will post it here for you once he responds.

Cody Forbes, Black Forest Racing, Denver NC.

He agreed you’re basically out of luck in the Raleigh area.

So I’m finding out.

I think the issue is in NYC you avoided the shady shops due to knowing the area a little more. Now in raleigh you dont know as many shops but one by one your finding the ones you dont want. The one good thing is there are only a few things on the S4 that really take a shops experience to change it. It sucks the AC is one of them. If you didnt have a broken wrist It woudl be something you could tackle in a few days

A lot of people say good things about Apex tuning and Black forest industries. I have no 1st hand experience with either though.

Replaced my AC compressor as preventative maintenance when I did timing job and header install. It’s pretty easy when you have the engine out…

Well another update, also hopefully someone can confirm this as well. I bought a dye kit to try and figure out what was going on. Before I use it I said let me hook up vcds and see if anything in the system had changed. Checked the codes and this is what I found. Skip the first fault, as I know what that is. Also I know the system is not charged. Does this code means the high pressure sensor needs to be replaced?

00604 - Potentiometer Positioning Motor for Air Flow Flap (G113)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65)
29-00 - Short to Ground
00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65)
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

0.000 A A/C Valve (N280) Current
0.0 % A/C Valve (N280) Duty Cycle
0.0 % High-Pressure Signal (G65)
1.0 bar Refrigerant Circuit Pressure
0 Compressor Torque Status

Hoping JimmyBones/justincredible/komseh/etc chime in here, but guessing some of those faults are the result of 1.0 bar Refrigerant Circuit Pressure (i.e. atmospheric pressure, no charge).

Guessing the second fault, 00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65), 29-00 - Short to Ground, is one you can and need to fix.

Agreed. That short to ground leads me to believe that sensor is bad.

Or the lead to it is chafed and has shorted?

If you go into VAG COM in the engine section you can still do an output test on the ac unit. That can help see if signals are getting sent and received allowing the unit to work. If something is wrong you can help find that out possibly that way. I would clear the codes and try an output test.

Engine section did not give me an option for an output test for the ac. I did clear the codes and the high pressure sensor short to ground code came right back. The signal to low code did not come back. I did double check to make high pressure sensor was plugged in and it was.

Try the HVAC module for output tests

Try the Hvac but I remember going through the output tests for the motor and part of the test is triggering the AC system. I will try to get out and look it over tomarrow.

I did, but did not change the status of that sensor.

That pesky ac system

Hvac module 08 fault code
00819 high pressure sensor
07-00 signal too low

Econ button illuminated at all times. And no ac

Possible fixes - refrigerant low, bad g65 sensor.

Had similar issues. Mine ended up simply being a leaking receiver/drier and obviously low refigerant

I just ordered the sensor, It won’t break my wallet at this point. When I get it I’ll see if that was the source of the leak.

Update. Old pressure sensor wasn’t really tight. I see that the shop changed the oring for it, but sensor had oil all in the plug area. Put the new one on and code went away. I don’t understand how a shop that deals with vw’s and audi’s would not check for codes. Re-filled with refrigerant and dye, blows ice cold now. I did not hear any leaks or see any from the dye after about an hr. I will get it properly filled in the next few weeks, if I don’t see any leaks. Needless to say I will never be using that shop again, also will be disputing the charge. Its a shame too as they are a jhm dealer and I had planned to getting my tune done there. Now I have to fix the catback from them changing the trans mount. Fun times.

Been there and done that with shops so I feel your pain.

Good to hear it’s blowing cold though.