A4. 3.0 year to year changes.

With the expansion of the knowledge base of the 3.0 I thought it would be good to collect all the information in one area.

So far it seems in the short time here that we have been talking about the 3.0 were finding new things out quickly.

So lets start with this and you guys can either take over or add to this list.

Audi 2002-2005 3.0

Motor.

Best I can tell the 3.0 has one major motor code. From 2002+ the 3.0 motor code XXX was the same for both the same for the A4 and A6. What small cosmetic or parts chances to the motors are unknown at this time.

2002-2005
Engine Code: ???

2005 motor code.
Engine Code: BGN

Transmission

The 2002-2003 6speed transmission was the same as the S4. It had a 01E transmission. Not sure on the clutch and flywheel.

The CTV was available only till 2004? Not sure on that one

The Automatic Tiptronic 5 speed transmission seems to be the same for each year

ECU.
2002 TIP
ECU: 8e0 909 559 A

2004 TIP
ECU: 8e0 909 559 L

2005 Man
ECU: 8E1 909 559 B

TCU: At this time Im going to make the assumption that all 2002-2005 Tip TCU boxes are the same part numbers
TCU: 8e0 927 156 Q

2004 8E0 927 156 Q
TCU: 8e0 927 156 Q CVT

At this time I don’t know what ECU will be compaitable with what year. The communications line seems to be the same much unlike the B6/7 S4 where in late 2005 the ECU communication lines were changed

This is just a rough start feel free to help add to this. I know I will as I get more

Good start, let’s all post our MY and ECU/TCU (if applicable) codes as well to sort out which ECU goes with which year.

2004 TIP

ECU: 8e0 909 559 L

curious to see what my exhaust system looks like, I’ll take a peek under it when I have free time to see if it has the 1 big cat or cat and precat.

Great stuff. Ill upate my post. with your information. this is valuable stuff.

Brilliant idea, here is mine 2002 TIP

ECU: 8e0 909 559 A

Notice how mine is exactly the same as meistah’s except for the last letter in the ECU which is A. Do you think this has something to do with country or region?

This is once again a great idea guys and great posts.

My S5 I took the liberty to clean up the post and add the TCU section.

Add this one to the list

2002 a4 quattro six speed manual.
ecu number is 8E0 614 517A

Lout The entire Audi parts numbers and letters have a description of what they are. The A at the end of the ECU is the designation of a engineering change. If you see two letters at the end. There generally updates to that part or replacement updates. So if you had a 8E0 614 517 AX that would be a replacement ECU for that car.

Thanks Count

So becuase mine is a first build it was the first version hence “A”, so does that make Meistah ECU is the 12th update hence the letter “L”.

Sorry just want to clarify this for my own brain

Hmm, on that train of thought then, is the second 2 sets of numbers the designation for automatic and manual? The ECU I bought from ECS had all the same numbers, just different letters at the end.

It would make sense as mine and Lout’s have the same numbers as TIP, but different revision letters.

I have a 2005 B6 Quattro with the 3.0L. In 2005 they changed the engine code to BGN. Also, my 6speed manual transmission is coded 01X. I know that sounds weird because the 01X is supposed to be for FWD cars.

I’ll get my ECU code later today and edit this post.

2005 6-speed Quattro
Engine Code: BGN
ECU #: 8E1 909 559 B
Transmission 01X

FYI I have a 2004 with a CVT.

Thanks Ill update that now.

The engine code for the 2002-2004 models is AVK

Do we know what makes the AVK motor code different then the BGN?

I’ve asked a few Audi techs so far and none of them know the difference. Who would be most likely to know something like this?

Thankfully the Experts on here will or they can find out.
ASN, AVK, BGN
to add further to the mix there is actually one more motor code for the 3.0L

Here is what I have.

There is a piston change that is noted by Vin split. Ill have to look further into this. So far its a piston change. What year and what piston is better I don’t know.

If I have to guess the older motors are going to have the better pistons. As the A4 passed 2003 sold in 04 the transmission changed. To the O2X the 02X isn’t as stout as the 01E. It looks like some changes were made to save money and to possibly be better for fuel mileage with lighter parts. So GUESSING I GUESSING that the motor change went with this.

Damn, I didn’t see any mention of the ASN motor code in the Bentley manual.

Finally got a response about the AVK/BGN difference from another audi tech I know.
He said “I’m not exactly sure but probably an emmissions upgrade.”

I might be shipping my car to JHM around mid July, so maybe they will figure it out.

Right On Man!! Where r u from?

Louisiana :slight_smile:

I spoke with Keaton yesterday and I’m waiting on a quote from his recommended courier. Hopefully it’s not crazy expensive.

I have a truck I can use full time and I’ve got a really busy travel schedule for work in the next couple months so I won’t be using the A4 much anyway.