Another JHM Tuned S6 in the 12s

Take what I’m saying with a grain of salt as I’m not impartial. Here is some perspective.

JHM had several cars. Both in house and customer cars that were S6 and S8 5.2 V10s. I guess you can say they custom tuned the cars. They custom tuned their test car and found the formula that worked and make GOOD power and unquestionable acceleration improvements. They then put that on the other cars. Logged and validated the results were consistent. From there they tested and improved on the dyno and street over the next several weeks to months. Testing in all kinds of conditions.

A JHM tune is more than just a WOT tune. How often do you drive WOT? Honestly? 90% of the time your part throttle or mid throttle.

JHM tuned not just for WOT throttle getting world record breaking results but, they looked deeper into the tune, into the part throttle, low throttle, off throttle. They tested on the dyno, then the street then the track and then in the city, stop and go traffic long road trips and they did this over MONTHS not minutes. Gathering data each step of the way improving each step of the way.

Do you drive to work on the dyno? I don’t, if you do, and you only drive WOT to work on a dyno… I don’t know how you actually would get to work that way but, if you tune your car that way your leaving 90% of the usable power untapped. Going to just get a dyno tune you’ll probably not make any power than the JHM tune currently makes. It’s not like JHM didn’t test already on a dyno for the best repeatable results.

IMHO A proven tune (canned or not) is better than an untested, unproven tune. The JHM tune has been producing the same results acceleration wise all over the world. It’s consistent and proven. You can always say. Oh there might be a few extra hp left. Maybe you can eek out something here or there. But at what cost?

This is the best quote so true —

I’ve been on the dyno and I’ve known TONS of domestic tuners who make a load of cash doing “custom tunes” all that means is in most cases they load up a tune that they know works for that combination and they dyno the car. Because if you’re a real tuner. You know X or Y combination needs this AFR, This ignition, this cam angle etc etc.

What’s so custom that needs to be tweaked? We all have the same MAF, Same cylinder heads, same throttle body, same motor, same camshafts, same injectors, same intake manifold the list goes on.

If you put in new injectors, build a custom intake manifold and then do major cylinder head work. Sure maybe a custom tune wouldn’t be a bad idea to look at. But for a 90% stock car IMHO a custom tune is a waste of your money and time. Especially when you have a tune like the JHM tune that has been performing so well for so long. There is no guess work. You already know what your getting.

For me, I’d rather have a tested tune that has been working strong and safe all over the world over the past several years with years of testing on the street and at the track. Vs someone who has little not no experience with the platform and is testing on my car on the dyno try try and make power.

But that’s just my take on it.

1 Like

Way to go guys!
I sadly don’t have my s6 anymore but I had most of the Jhm bits sans the exhaust and always felt strongly the car was a 12 second ride (impressive for the weight) that really pulled at any rpm. That said, it’s more about the complete package and the ecu and tcu really shined in all driving conditions not just peak numbers, this was even in the desert heat of Arizona.

This proves that anyone serious about these cars will follow the proven formula that JHM has laid out!

@CountVohn I wanna see some 11s this year. I’m confident with the full exhaust and decat that will be more than enough to put it over the edge. I’ll be watching from afar. Good luck everyone!

does anyone know of someone who makes long tube headers for the v10 s6’s? i have been looking for them but cant seem to find anywhere that can supply some.

CountVohn is the only one that makes them correctly, but be prepared to pay to play since their done the long/correct way rather than with a jig.

1 Like

You should see the sh*t storm the video of the white S6 is causing in the S6/S8 V10 group on Facebook. So many complaining saying the gains made are impossible when they could just speak with you and pay the price lol. You should see how crazy these guys got over the 100hp gain. Bunch of clowns :clown_face:. Some of them are on here lurking. I guess haters gon’ hate.

Facebook is where most of the dumbfucks go. I would be willing to bet most of the people who are whining don’t even have a V10 anything. It’s just a bunch of dumb asses that don’t care and they just want to bitch. Or they don’t want to believe you can spend the money and make real hp.

I’ll make quick work of this as we’ve actually all talked about this about 100x on this site with actual dyno info. I’ll try to find the dyno info to back up what I’m saying. I know you and most of the other smart people on here already know this but just for a refresher.

Take a standard S6 and S8. Pull the cats out and most people report a 50whp gain. We actually have a dyno on here from TWO separate people who with just the cats out dynoed a increase of OVER 50whp and posted it. Now keep in mind that is just removal of the cats. No tune… No headers… No cat back… No TCU tune. Etc et.

Lets look at Audis own words about how the S6 and S8 exhaust manifold was built for emissions and not performance. Here is the study guide from Audi on the S6 and S8

Blockquote

The ignition intervals and consequent exhaust valve
overlap can, in the worst case, create reverse pulsating
waves in the exhaust manifold. These reverse waves
inhibit both the scavenging of exhaust gas from the
combustion chamber after combustion and the intake
of fresh fuel mixture. This in turn reduces combustion
efficiency and increases emissions.

To overcome this phenomenon, a special exhaust
manifold design is required in which the exhaust ports
of each cylinder are mated to each other in a specific
manner. In the V10, a 2-1-2 manifold runner design is
used.

One solution to the exhaust gas pulsation phenomenon
would be to make an exhaust manifold runner for each
cylinder — a 5 into 1 header type system. However,
this system would be big and would create a thermal
disadvantage to the quick warming of the emission
required catalytic converters.

Blockquote

So in Audis own words there is more power to be had from a proper 5 into 1… But don’t take my word for it that a 5 into 1 makes more power. Lets take Audis

s-l640

That is a lambo v10 5.2 exhaust manifold. GUESS WHAT… It’s a 5 into 1 and how much does a R8 or lambo make whp wise. 550whp… SO ummm yeah. Looks like headers would add a lot of power if you added headers then a tune. Then a catback…

Fackbook usually = dumb asses just looking to whine. Facts are not top of their list.

1 Like

I’m actually in the same fb group, one of the founding members lol I always send people over here but they’d rather argue instead. It’s great for a quick answer don’t get me wrong but mannnnn I had a guy call the JHM tunes a box tune and tried to convince me that his dyno tune was better, that was pretty much when I gave up lmao. These cars are starting to get cheap so it was just about time for all these people to come crawling out the woodwork with their niteshade taillights and “ThE cAR nEeDs BaCkPrEsSuare” arguments.

1 Like

Nobody on FB really knows what they’re talking about with this car

I am confused. I was planning to gut my cats in August and get a revised tune for such. I live where no smog is required.

I was under the impression that the stock headers without cats would provide substantial gains. Is this not true or are your custom headers required?

Or would the gains with the custom headers vs stock gutted headers simply be more? I am satisfied with gaining “50whp” and saving 3 grand vs custom headers and gaining “70whp” (for example)

Are the current “stock” headers designed for the correct pulsing design as you mentioned above?

I read all of the responses and I get it.
A tuning here in Denmark starts at the same price, so it not the pricing. It’s just the fact that if anything would go wrong, I no where near JHM headquarters.

But that being said you guys have me tipped, and I’ll go with a JHM tune. :blush:
I’ll definitely contact the V10 team regarding my questions, as the guy on messenger didn’t seem to have the answers I was looking for … maybe I just ask unusual questions :man_shrugging:t3:

I get both sides of the story.
The thing that makes it more difficult for me to compare is the 1/4 mile issue.
It’s not that our local tuners are not willing to give it a shot… we don’t have any drag strips in europe easy as that.
On the other hand i can’t begin to feel these times since I have zero experience with drag racing.

So here we go by the feel of the car and the dyno.
That said, I see the substantial gains in the tuning that is done by JHM. And i get the point why they focus on track times too, but it would be nice to see both.
Track times to back up the dyno figures since you can’t mess with track times.

About the YouTube vid in the facebook post…
The biggest complaint I read there was claiming a 100WHP gain based on a single dyno is a bit hard to back up since there is no refference before the tuning of the car. This would be the easiest way just a dyno sheet before and after the tuning of the same car.

I believe in the abilities of JHM and i’m not here trying to get involved in an endless argument. They may well be the best out there for these cars (can’t tell for sure since i’ve never driven a tuned s6 JHM or other company…) but still it should be possible to compare and question eachother.

And in my opinion we should celebrate the fact that others are trying to build headers and tuning and everything as well. After all we are here for the same thing faster v10’s…

@Robocop - I think that is the biggest issue most people don’t know what their talking about

@laketahoequattro - headers make a different power curve than the gutted manifolds. I think there is about 30whp more. But someone tried to make their own headers and only ended up with the exact same power as they had on the gutted cats. So as far as headers go there is obviously some science to it.

@Kimovitzh I think overall since JHM tunes cars all over the world and their obviously still supporting this car it would make sense to just email the v10 tech line email.

@dzow - The no drag strip part is just lazyness. With all kinds of cheap P box type of devices out there now. There is no excuse as a straight flat road is all it takes.

The feel of the car is all that really matters. Did the car change. Did the tune give a better customer end experience. Since no two dynos are the same and so many of the results have been manipulated it’s better to go off something that clearly can’t be manipulated. Since so many companies used dyno sheets and abused them for marketing gain they have reduced their own value and personally. I could care less how much or little the dyno says. I paid for my car to be faster and feel faster. Not for a dyno sheet.

The youtube facebook people are just stupid and this also says why we don’t care about a dyno. In one breath people want to see dyno results but then you show dyno results and if they don’t like them they apparently cry about it without asking questions.

I don’t understand your comments. But I think its people on FB that literally have ZERO clue about the project or what went into it.

In the video they are just showing the car on the dyno doing a few pulls for the fun of it and a pull away. That car and a few other cars were tested stock before any work was done and then again after they had the full work done headers exhaust tuning etc. This wasn’t the only car that has had this work done. Either way the results were the cars 100% stock then months later after the work was done. Since this video isn’t some sort of sale video or promotional video it was just a video of the work that was done to the car and the end of the project.

As for the complaints on the FB about the videoI think in the end it’s just a bunch of people that don’t know what they are talking about talking about a video that they don’t know all the details of and then whining about it.

I agree. we have a lot of really excited people who love the car and are not interested in drama but interested in great developments for the platform. It’s great IMO that JHM is even giving this platform the time of day still. . May the drama queens stay in their cry castle.

I was looking in to buying the draggy do you have any experience with that?
It looks legit when looking through YT

I agree. We have our differences on this site but no one is throwing accusations or bitch about anything.

We all have the same car, and essentially the same goal.
“10/10 - would recommend” is what comes to mind when thinking about this forum!

1 Like

I have a dragy module. It gives pretty consistent back to back results (often within a couple 1/100ths in the 1/4) if you use the same stretch of road (in the same direction) to test on all the time.

Thanks for the clarification. I’m looking forward to seeing these gains when I install my test pipes!

Iirc “dont mark my words” CV said we can rev these slush boxes to 7200 up from 7000 stock. Is the stock box capable of running higher than 7200, maybe 7500 rpm?

Curious what the fail point of the trans would be at this rpm or if it could be built to accommodate higher rpm

Any idea how the driveshaft, diff and axle shafts compare to the RS6? Does the RS6 use a different transmission? Curious if there is a weak link in the transmission of after it since we are now tuning the engine and transmission to throw a lot more power to these components.

I read that the RS6 trans has a more robust trans to handle the torque reliably, but you can always buy internals from on of the guys making the built RS6 trannies. They’re definitely not cheap, but if you end up going big on power (built motor, supercharger, etc), it’s probably a must have.

1 Like

@eng92 I would love to try it. So I’ll put that on the wishlist.

Has any one here tried the “drag mode” in VCDS?
Never tried it on the S6 but I did have a go at it in a Passat once.
I guess with the correct wheel diameter typed in it should be somewhat accurate.

Hi Everyone,
It has been awhile since I have been on here.
The custom manifolds are the way to go!! My car is running very strong for the last three years.

Updates from test n tune today. Finally had a nice sunday to get the car back out there now that the cats were removed and catback done. Right after the exhaust mods were completed i had a pcv go bad and after that took care of fixing a bunch of vaccuum leaks which has it running insanely strong. Added a set of OZ wheels to the mix as the old stocker could no longer balance out.

Still full interior minus spare. Only weight reduction are wheels and brake rotors. Also still running the standard JHM Flash fot catted setups. We have not updated or tried to eek out anymore power yet with it. CEL is on for catalysts as well as secondary air injection which was removed when motor came out.

DA was 1445. Im sure with cooler fall air come november we can knock on 11s doors. Next plan is to do a set of coilover and lower the car to help reduce drag. Maybe a lightweight battery

Hopefully the pictures upload. I have videos too just waiting to waiting for a friend to send them

1 Like