Bastards Budget Build post. advice welcome.

Hello people.

Some time ago i decided to build my engine, after a mysterious total loss compression. Started accumulating parts, and installed a temp motor… Things went south and I didnt get my car back on the road until over a full year had passed.

Since then my enthusiasm and funds have gotten diverted into other things. Id still like to get it done, but im no longer interested in a 20K+ build.

here is where the car sits:

Stock motor,intake mani etc.
k04/rs6 hybrids (10 years old now)
Vast tune, meth injection… NEVER been as fast as my old pump gas tune… But runs a bit nicer.
ASP dual exhaust.
GHL stock sized catless downpipes.
ER intercoolers
ARD bipipes
X1-intake
southbend stg 4 extreme clutch
4:1 diff mod
full set of ASP mounts
JHM shifter stuff.

Parts i have acculmulated:

My old motor.
3L crank
RPM rods
mahle 3L stroker pistons

ARP bolts.

stock 2.8 heads.

Some revolver V1 cams.

GOALS:

max 600whp, similar reliability to current setup.

Here is what I was thinking… build the 3L bottom end, possibly use the 2.8 heads, possibly not.
Throw the fancy new 8bar 044 pump in the tank
pick up some cheap 3" downpipes.
grab the SRM k24/epictuned fueling kit.

tune those fucking cams and meth.
run 11s.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

I simply cant afford the TIALS, nor the amount of upgrades that running that kind of power would require.

If your going for budget on a B5, it won’t run for long.

well thanks but thats not really useful advice.

Welcome to AR. What are you currently running in the 1/4 mile? I would forget about setting a specific horsepower number as one of your goals. You’re looking for reliability and an 11 second car. A dyno will help you achieve neither.

low 12s. i believe you can find me in the 1/4 mile database. :slight_smile:

The reason i mentioned a max of 600whp is just an abritrary number, dont want to crack the block. nor do I want the sort of power that requires a lot of crazy measures, like fuel sumps, and crank girdles etc.

I should also mention I have no plans to run e85… purely a 94/meth tune.

Very profound statement. This should be said to many people.

Here would be my thoughts.

you’d be best off to sell what you have collected. Take that money and focus on a simple rebuild. Rods and pistons. Keep it simple. Rebuild your turbos and after that look into a more aggressive tune.

[quote=“Bastard2k,post:6,topic:5268”]
I should also mention I have no plans to run e85… purely a 94/meth tune.
[/quote

Would you care to mention what your user name is on audizin¢?

Well I fail to see what the point of doing anything more with my small k04 framed turbos would be. Certainly dont need rods or pistons with such a small turbo, been running it thusly for years now. More agressive tune isnt going to get me where i want to be either.

[quote=“Fastestaudiwagon,post:8,topic:5268”]

S4James. Been banned too many times to count now. Some dick moderator has it out for me.

OK, I’ll play…but reading your post it is very hard to take you seriously.

You can’t afford TIALS…who said TIALS were the way to go? Just you mentioning this scares me. You also can’t afford them, but your going to build a 3.0l bottom end, your not making sense man??

You B5 guys always over think shit.

Why not just build a 2.7T? Put a good set of rods and pistons in it, 2.8 heads, cams, RS6r turbos. You have a ton of supporting mods (intake/exhaust), but most importantly you need proper fueling and proper tuning (JHM).

…or you could just “tune those fucking cams and meth” cross your fingers and hope the car runs for more than 90 days.

I’ll admit I’m no expert. As I understand it SRM is a ko4 frame turbo as well?

I’ve read the 1/4 mile list here and there are many successful ko4 cars on it. Many faster then what you are now.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/467832-Want-to-take-the-car-into-GT-territory-this-thread-is-for-your-best-suggestions

I see you had a thread wanting to be in GT territory.

[quote]Any thoughts? Vendors are more than welcome to put their 2c in… Ideally, id just like to write a 20K check and be handed back the keys and a nice dyno sheet after a month, and then go run low 11s on pump gas, + have some fun.
[/quote]
Why did you want to spend 20k on this build to run low 11s? That has been done on K04s and even easier on our RS6-R turbos. And if your plans are 94oct + Meth I think you can get pretty close.

You say you want to do this on a budget, so do you have a price range we can work with? If your goal is low 11s we can make that happen without going GT.

I like the sort of power band the new hybrid rs6 framed k04s seem to be able to run.

They also look like they wont overwhelm my existing supporting mods.

As for overthinking. We are talking about me spending several thousand dollars. So id rather ere on the side of caution.

I already own everything I need to assemble a 3L block, and i figured this would broaden the effective power range of the car.

Im on the fence about running the 2.8 heads.

Id like to get a few years out of whatever i decide on. But im getting old, and this will likely be my last project car.

Why did you want to spend 20k on this build to run low 11s? That has been done on K04s and even easier on our RS6-R turbos. And if your plans are 94oct + Meth I think you can get pretty close.

You say you want to do this on a budget, so do you have a price range we can work with? If your goal is low 11s we can make that happen without going GT.
[/quote]
Looks like you’re in good hands here.

the SRM units seem to be similar, and cheaper. Unfortunatly I have no hard data over what is “better” as everything I try to read seems to degenerate into petty forum squabling.

Right now my budget is “0” as in I have a pile of parts and no money. hopefully that will be rectified by summertime when i can start getting the block and heads assembled.

however i dont want to start building anything until i get a better understanding of what, if any need there is for an overbuilt block or large port heads, if I have an ultimate maximum limit of >600wtq/hp.

If you budget is $0.00 then I am not sure how else to help you other than go as far as you can with the parts you already have. Having RS6 hybrids should get you into the 11s. I would get a good exhaust system and run with it.

Edit- Just saw you have an old Vast tune. That would probably be something you would want to change.

Confusing thread is confusing.

Here’s the formula…run a stock s4 2.7t…run an appropriately sized turbo… get a good tune…keep your er smics or sell them and get a new or used jhm fmic if that can save you a fee bucks to soend on tuning…make 450 whp and as much wtq…run 11.6 @ 120 and be faster than 90 percent of cars on the road. Be happy that you have a nicely modded car that runs but isn’t too complicated.

The b5 world seems to always want to get stuck on doing everything possible and waiting 3 years for it to happen. By that time you reach a condition called modification exhaustion and you hate the car and sell it. Fuck it.

Its the 80/20 rule in a b5. You will get 80 percent of the performance out of 20 percent of the modifications. Turbos tuning fuelling cooling clutch and downpipes will get you 80% of the way to being the fastest b5.

The remaining 20% of performance requires the other 80% of mods… the built motor and revised valvetrain with new heads and cams and blah blah blah. You will also spend a fortune on this stuff and introduce a million new things to go wrong.

Stock b5 s4
Decent exhaust
Nicely sized turbo like an k04 or etter yet rs6 or rs6r
Great tuning
Fuelling
Cooling
Clutch
Some lightweight parts.

You’re looking at an 11.6-11.8 @ 120-125 car depending on octane. It should run too. An example of this is Hunter from Detroit. S6atron. Great performer and a simple modlist. Car has run well for a couple of years now following this formula.

His brother tweets4estate is the other option…the ambitious b5 build. He went full b5 retard. built a monster…the whole 100%. It ran awesome for about two weeks in the last 5 years. He must have $75,000 to 100,000 in it and if he sold it today he MIGHT get $15,000 for it. It has done more miles criss crossing the country on the back of a transport carier to his super tuner in washington from Detroit, than it has actually been driven at 100% . He ran 10.7 @ 130 during the most recent stretch if a couple of weeks running great, which is awesome…but his car is broken again.

Two choices

1. Moderate build as outlined, spend 10 grand, run awesome, be happy, whip everyone but late model supercars’ asses

2. Monster build, spend tens of thousands, run shit, be miserable, whip nobodys asses because your build isn’t done, and when it is, it keeps breaking, sell it and leave the b5 platform a broken man. Or start a thread wanting 600 whp with no more money invested (#pipedream).

I’m safe hayden… sell the rods, pistons, crank, heads, get JHM tune, ditch the meth and use the rest of the cash to upgrade fuelling and get rs6r turbos.

Low 11’s on pump…

maybe high 11s…they just don’t respond without octane, the B5.