Closer

Everything worked well yesterday except for excessive wheels spin. Night time temps in the 30’s track very slick. Started at 44 PSI and gradually dropped it to 36 PSI. Tried non launch control start, added .3 of a second. Best time 12.07. Everyone slipping, some two wheel drive cars even getting a little sideways. Density altitude at time of this run -55ft. I’m running 295 rear and 265 front Michelin PSS tires. On way home from track tried one launch on street, same, wheel spin…darn!

http://i.imgur.com/gtQ3H4V.jpg

I failed…

Try to go lower with your tire pressure. in another thread somewhere it was discussed that the 44psi is for a full load car(5 people) with one person normal pressure should be around 36F 34R. what is happening on the end of your runs? everything until the 1/8th mile speed it better than my best run but then its like you just lost power. my best with the REVO 1+ was 12.053 @ 115.73.

not sure if he ninja edited this but in his OP he said…

"Started at 44 PSI and gradually dropped it to 36 PSI. "

As for the big end, he appears to have lost some momentum. He was on pace for 11.99 @ 114.5. Turned into a 12.07 (close enough) @ 112.1

Do we know anyone else who has run this track and found MPH a bit low? I know euroswagr did but his MPH in his B7 S4 was right on target I believe. Around 107.

lol I should stop posting while in meetings… :-\

What is Ninja editing?

Editing your post without anyone seeing you do it.

44 PSI is good for highway MPG. Not a great cold track setting. I’d go 33 front 35 rear (cold), 35 front 37 rear (hot).

LOL! You want to run less in the rear than front not more…

I hate to make this suggestion, but could some people have been right about the hood hole? Weren’t a bunch of people predicting that at speed, you could be evacuating air rather than bringing it in? Have you tried running without the hole open?

Your 60’ time looks really good, so are the spinning tires really the problem? Also, you ran it in normal ‘S’ mode this time, right, no manual shifting?

Ran in S mode, auto, correct. Hole in hood? Doubt it very much. I’d wager the wheel spin cost me about .2 of a second, if not more? It’s easy to plug hole, will try next time?

No, why would I do that?

There is something like a 2 minute window where you can edit your post with no record of the edit, otherwise, it shows text at the bottom saying the post was edited. So he was saying I clearly didn’t read the post unless you had quickly edited it to include the info I asked about (hence, ninja edit).

you cut a 1.69 60’ time according to your timeslip. There’s virtually nothing left on the table. Maybe half a tenth.

This still doesn’t explain why you’re trapping 2-4 MPH worse than you should be.

pulley
tune
Race gas
LW parts
interior removed (assuming you did that again)
great DA

and you’re trapping 112…which is reminscent of stage 1 cars on 93 octane

Weird.

Wheel spinning is killing me. I even tried to clean them off like the big boys and they spun, then they spun again immediately after cleaning them doing the launch. Changing pressure didn’t seem to make any difference with the spinning either. This was my fourth visit to this track, first time I ever spun a wheel. Was running 104 Octane, REVO tuned to race gas. Also have Euro Code headers. I guess I have too much power? ::slight_smile:

Eurocode headers don’t help.

It has been proven multiple times here in the past.

I agree with Saki that there is not much left on the table with your 60’ times.

please listen…feels like I’m not getting through.

1. your wheel spin is not causing you any elapsed time troubles, as indicated in your 60’ and 330 times, where wheelspin is most evident

2. your wheel spin is not impacting your MPH either, as MPH is primarily determined by gearing and power, and neither of those things changed during your run

Got it? So no, it’s not your wheelspin. Consider the following

quickest B8 S4 on our list from 0-60’ = 1.67 seconds
you from 0-60’ = 1.69 seconds
difference = 0.02 seconds. Nothing. You almost matched a much more powerful, much faster car. So wheelspin on launch cost you nothing.

quickest B8 S4 on our list from 0-330’ = 4.82 seconds
you from 0-330’ = 4.99 seconds
difference from 0-330’ = 0.17 seconds. Not insignificant, but not indicative of a huge problem. Your car just isn’t as quick as the other car and the numbers reflect it.

Big letters so it’s clearer:

WHEELSPIN DOES NOT HURT MPH…SOMETHING ELSE IS WRONG

What setting is the meth system on. I assume you aren’t using it while running the race gas and race file?

I’m sure the good folks on vendorzine will help you figure it out… lol

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/628739-REVO-to-1-4-Mile

Sky, Like Saki said you’re not leaving a ton on the table on your short times… Also 36 psi in cold weather is way to high… Another 10psi or so drop would have helped a little if you were truly spining… Also, when coming back on the return road after making a pass, constantly turn the car back and forth to get heat in the tires, as I assume you are running summer tires and they don’t do well in cold w/o a ton of heat in them… I hate to say it but bottom line is Revo tune isn’t the way to go, GIAC is for all the cars but APR tune is still pretty damn good for B8’s…

I don’t think I have the energy. I don’t.

For the rest of the forum, wheelspin doesn’t hurt your MPH. Think about it. MPH is determined by how quickly you can accelerate for the entire track. 1320 feet away your MPH trap speed is calculated based on those last 66 feet. That’s it.

If you spun for the first 10 feet and didn’t go anywhere, how would that hurt the MPH your car was moving at the finish line? Simply put, it wouldn’t. You would gain traction, and then accelerate for the next 1310 feet. The difference for accelerating for 1310 feet vs. 1320 feet are not that big. Most cars over the last 66 feet only pick up about 1.0 to 1.5 MPH, never mind the last 10 feet.

So all this talk about wheelspin is much ado about nothing. Your MPH trap speeds are pretty much determined before you line up. Your ET is the variable. Driving a DSG B8 S4 with launch control…well shit that eliminates another whole pile of variability.

Primetime nailed it. GIAC has the facelifted DSG cars down pat. APR and GIAC are both great for the pre facelift. The REVO cars seem to be all over the map.

The best REVO results were posted back when everyone was stage 1. Ever since then they haven’t gotten any faster. In fact, they are the only tuner that hasn’t put a B8 S4 in the 11s yet. Weird.

p.s. that audizine thread will be fun to watch. Please guys DO NOT post in the thread. Let’s see what audizine can come up with without our help :slight_smile: