Cooling fan module failure

I am looking for some thoughts on how to identify if my fans/control module has failed, and what have other members have done to work around a complete replacement of the fan unit.

Has anyone installed the Mishimoto control harness
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My fans are on full when the car is running and wow is it loud.

Cheers

I replaced the complete fan unit on mine. It is not really too difficult. Remove bumper, disconnect the two big fan plugs, pop off upper rad hose, angle radiator and fans toward you, unbolt the 4 fan unit bolts, lift out fans. I did it with a buddy and myself took about 2 hours and you loose little coolant

However, if the fans are working and running I see no reason to replace and would have to guess that there is something triggering the fans to power up when not needed such as a false signal from the HVAC or ecu?

Hey
Thanks a lot for the info about removing the fan assembly,
I have found the part number and can start looking.

Yes I would like to find out what is triggering it as the fans were working fine recently, I also have the AC pressure sensor and the two temp sensors to install in the case that is a cause.

Do the fan modules send a code on VCDS if they fail?

The assembly new is like 3k in Canada!

Cheers

Test the fans in Output Tests in VCDS and see what happens. I’d guess maybe one of those sensors is shorted closed causing them to run all the time

Thanks!
I will do an output test on them and see what I can find.

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers

Pull the under hood fuse see if that does it.

The issue is the ECU keeps the fans OFF… So the connection is constantly being told to stay off. Once the ground is compromised or there is an interruption in the signal the fans turn on.

Hi, thanks for this info!
I wiil try the fuse and see what happens

I can then investigate further

Thanks again!

Good luck. We ended up replacing the motors a couple times to get it to work without making a lot of noise. As the others mentioned, it kept draining the battery over and over again. It probably would’ve been resolved the first time around if I just paid the money for whole new units the first time around.

I agree, I am going to seek out a whole fan unit when I can.
Interesting, I physically unplugged them and the car has managed to keep normal temps

It might hold alright temps most of the time, untill it doesnt:( Probably gonna happen sooner or later in either hotter climate or durational standstill/slow moving queue.

Absolutely, I agree in summer it would need the fans here and there.

I have been driving in various conditions and it’s holding so far.
Be nice to figure it out tho and restore the whole system.

I drove all last winter without 1 fan and had no issues at all

That’s good to know, it’s starting to get cold here too

Yeah I have a local guy I helped and we managed to put the fans on a toggle switch bypassing the need for a module but the car for months had no working fans. And an entire two summers of having the switch he only had to turn the fans on one time and he said the temp on the dash never went up he just felt it was super hot out so he turned them on.

Hi
That is a relief to hear and I will likely go that route when I have a chance!
Thanks for your input!

Cheers