Cory's B8 Avant.

CTS. I just got home and haven’t had a second look, However, based on the clean cut in the picture I assume you’re correct.

Definitely into 12s with a trans tune… It seems like your mph should be a bit higher based on your mods though… idk.

How long ago did you get it? CTS is pretty good with customer service on parts, especially if it’s one they made.

Doh! I guess it was the lighting or shadows last night but the pipe didn’t break. The slip joint pulled out and the way they were sitting on each other looked like a hole. I guess the heating/cooling cycles loosened the clamp/joint and the engine movement pulled them apart. I had a quick look at my stock engine mounts and they looked ok and I don’t know of anyone making B8 performance mounts.

Awesome numbers. Basically as quick as a stock b8 s4 or b7 rs4… Impressive!

Thanks, pretty close…I’ve joked in the past that I’ve successfully built a Stock B8 S4 AVANT:slight_smile:

hmm…

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/R_zps92c531cd.png

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/2013-06-18120750_zps3ba357e3.png

We know you’re faster but that particular run wasn’t very scientific :wink:

Give or take almost a half second??

Nice runs Cory!

or easy on the eyes. THat vid was haggard.

Any time if you want to try again Cory. In -800 feet of DA my car trapped 109.5-109.9. Trap speeds will tell you the likely outcome of a highway pull. If you’re down 4-6 MPH of trap speed, you’ll be down 2-4 car lengths. Just as the video shows.

I was basing it off of an average RS4 or average S4 ET, which it’s close, actually quicker than my pops car ever went stock in terms on ET.

No doubt on the highway the RS4 is faster, prob faster than an S4 in stock form as well.

Based on most times, rs4s run 13.2-13.4 lol. So many Ham fisted owners.

Haha no doubt about that, it takes some finess but the RS4 is a consistent 12 second car in the right hands bone stock.

Well, regardless of how it compares to those cars it’s certainly a decently fun street car and …

Avant = WIN! :smiley:

if you can run 13.0 or nip into the 12s, that’s faster than most Ferraris were up until the late 80s. Incredible, yes.

You’d whip Magnum PI’s ass.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/L9Bgj4EMQfYpW/200.gif

3" V-band installed today between down-pipe/mid-pipe…this won’t be a problem anymore :-[

I’m sure I’ll ‘hear it’ from the “purists”, those who believe all the common performance misconceptions or those who think it’s only for the stretch/poke crowd but I’ve decided to give air suspension a try. I’ve been on KW V2 coil-overs for a couple years and although I love the advantages of a lowered suspension, daily life at that stance can be a PITA. Unavoidable speed bumps, steep curbs and random road debris can really ruin your day or make you “pucker-up” :o while you cruise past.

As with anything there are different hardware options that will provide different results. Cheaper “universal” setups will get you low but you tend to give up massively on the performance side. I’ve chosen these specific components in anticipation of getting me the same performance of my current (coil-over) setup but giving me the flexibility to raise/lower for particular daily hazards or desired sportier “stance” (for lack of a better term).

The first parts arrived today and I’ll wait on buying the management over the winter for a spring install.

Front/Rear shocks are AirLift Performance Line w/ 30-way damping adjustment and threaded body. They look really well made…we’ll see if they perform as advertised.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3727/10681094063_3d51ee45c4_z.jpg

For management I’ll be using the Accuair E-level system with B8 specific sensor mounts. I’m likely going to be using dual Viair 400C compressors and 5 gallon aluminum tank but I’m going to do more research on the Air-Zenith compressors before I make my decision.

The install will be as stealth as possible and most will fit in the spare well around the stock battery.

Weight comparisons for interest…

Fronts are 8kg/pair
Rear Air springs are 6.5kg/pair
Rear shocks are 3.5kg/pair

(2) Compressors are 7.7kg
Aluminum Tank is 3.3kg
Misc ECU/Manifold/lines/fittings etc. ~3kg
= 32kg

Coilovers are 25.5kg Total

Total increase will be ~6.5kg or ~14lbs …an acceptable trade-off for the flexibility IMO.

Let the flaming begin ;D

http://jmead.net/images/car-bounce.gif

Lol I don’t care much about air bags. If you like em , good for you.

If I see your car riding retarded slammed, or parked on the ground, you’re banned lol

a rehash from my AZ Regional thread…

There’s been lots of going back/forth on this mod over the past several days/hours. Since it’s a significant investment you can imagine I want to make sure things perform, look good and are reliable. It’s something I want to do but not at the cost of an unreliable setup that leaves me stranded and regretting the “investment”. The “potential” costs and headaches left me with more doubt than excitement and I was giving-up on the project and put the package up for sale.

I’m having no second thoughts on the AirLift suspension choice but I was concerned with the complexity/reliably (and significantly more expensive install costs) of the Accuair level system, especially in our weather.

Great discussion with Kevin@airassisted yesterday. He really knows his stuff and his experience allows him not to be swayed by good marketing. He takes time to thoroughly understand your situation and what YOU want out of the project, and he never becomes a “salesman” jamming particular products down your throat. There are MANY misconceptions about air in general and about the individual components that make up a system. He cuts through all that BS and gives the facts and properly advises you on what fits your needs/wants.

For a variety of reasons (as Kevin and I discussed) I’ve decided on the following:

Ridetech E3 management
AZ OB2 compressor
5 gallon tank
1/4 lines

You’ll probably first thinking WTF is with using Ridetech? Doesn’t EVERYONE use Accuair (or AirlLift) in the VAG community? Well, the thing is Accuair is marketed really well and they sponsor many cars to run their product; I was falling for the same hype. Popular doesn’t make it better. Don’t get me wrong, Accuair and Airlift make fine products but the Ridetech system is superb and has many advantages; It’s just not advertised very well to Euros. It’s by far the most popular system with domestics, including 500-600+hp Autocross cars. It’s an awesome system that uses pressure and can use height sensors in combination to get the best result. Height sensors have their faults as do pressure only systems but the combination is the best of both. The system provides presets, diagnostics, easy one-touch manual control and includes digital gauges.

Re: compressors. The Viair are excellent but the AZ pump is on another performance level. More CFM and cooler operation. Essentially, one flows as much as two large Viair’s. The first gen AZ was a bit of a lemon which turned people off but the OB2 has cleared all those problems up.

Re: 1 compressor vs 2. As stated the AZ flows like 2. Do you have a backup fuel pump? OEM’s only use one. Enough said.

1/4 line. Kevin recommended 1/4 line because of my situation. I’m interested in performance/precision rather than slightly quicker raise times. The smaller lines maintain a more precise pressure.

If you’re interested in a system and you’re in the GTA I would highly recommend going down to his shop and having a consult.

My car is going in for surgery next week.

In other news …my wife and I took a trip down to the motor-city to meet up with the Count. I’m excited to see how things turn-out with the B8 TCU tune in the coming months. Stay tuned.