DL501 S-Tronic aftermarket clutch pack options

Wow very nice! Did you have to send your old one in as an exchange?

Be sure to report back on how well it works out for you.

No i didn’t. Just ordered the stage 2 DL501 (which based on all I’ve read can also be called 0B5, DSG, NSD…so I’m 99% sure it’ll fit my facelift 2013 rs5 :sweat_smile::crossed_fingers:)

They send the whole clutch packaged in upgraded casing. This is the stage 2 with up to 850nm torque capacity which if i understand correctly, with this clutch, can be fine without updating the TCU software… (stock without TCU update can survive up to 550nm and with TCU soft with increased clutch pressures up to 800nm) with TCU software adjusted to increase clutch pressure this one should last in excess of 1000nm.

At least that’s how I understand it…

I’ll report back with more photos and how it performs…

How much was the cost?

Prices are on website. Stage 2 is 1550 usd + shipping.

Ah nice, not bad at all thanks! If jhm ever hurrys the hell up would be a nice upgrade

Very nice indeed I’m dribbling lol looks beautiful.

Do keep us posted on how it feels once fitted and what you have had to do to bed the clutches in.

Does anyone know the proper / suggested clutch installation procedure and breaking in? Clutch should arrive tomorrow, wanted to ensure i don’t miss anything. Thanks!

Will need to run adaptation when you first get it and then 500 miles later.

Arrived today. Car with new clutch delivered to mechanics for installation.

Really looks nice. Definitely let us know how things go. May rebuild my old transmission to have it ready as a Standby.

Very nice indeed making me wish I got one now :persevere:

Gorgeous! Keep us posted!

Rs5supercharged, how did you go about actually paying Dima?

Hi All,

Sorry for long time no update. I’ve actually had some challenges that mean the car isn’t ready yet, but I’m nearing another attempt at making it work again.

Some updates:
The clutch i received from Deka turned out to have the wrong size gear on the back end and would not fit the one in the gearbox… I’ve communicated with Deka and they advised i can simply put their clutch packs in my basket, as long as i measure 2 parts. Having done so, i listened, and I should not have…

There is much more to a clutch than just those 2 measurements they provided. Additionally, seals on the basket should have been replaced which i was not aware of and Deka didn’t tell me about. I drove gently for 40km absolutely fine and then clutch started slipping very bad till it stopped engaging all together.

Turns out that the distances between the clutches were not exact as they should in the old basket and the seals were burned, so when oil got hot and the pressures were way too high due to the distances, they started leaking oil making the clutches disengage.

Albeit I stopped driving ASAP and had the car towed to mechanic to not break anything… when we removed gearbox the clutch was completely burned, and the mechatronics unit needs restoration as well…

I contacted Deka regarding this, he advised me to ship him my old and the new clutch back and he would make me a new clutch with the right size gear so it fits. It took about a week to ship back, 2-3 days for him to make a new one and ship to me.

I had to pay for the installation + removal of the gearbox and clutch, new oil, shipping it back to him. He paid for new clutch and for shipping it again to me.

As part of this experience I also looked at the JHM singlemass flywheel which I installed a few months back and only drove about 400-500kms on it without any launches, gently due to car being at mechanics still. Unfortunately found that the teeth on the inner part have been bent and in some cases completely broken off! This was surprising but clearly pointed to the fact that the single mass is either too weak for a supercharged car, or that i was unlucky and got a bad part (maybe poor metal quality)… Meanwhile, my S7 flex/drive plate seems to be holding up fine, without issues.

I didn’t want to experiment more, knowing some people who have the dual mass with the supercharger and don’t have any issues, as long as they upgraded the flex/drive plate, i ordered a new dual mass from audi. Meanwhile, I’m trying to use my warranty with JHM to get my money back … although I’ll lose money there too with install/uninstall, not to mention import taxes and VAT… I’ve been in communication with JHM for a month now, they have asked some questions about how i installed it but after that are quiet and so far not providing a resolution yet in terms of a refund… That said, when i was purchasing the Single Mass i was very upfront with them that i had a supercharged car and they said it will not be a problem.

I now have the new clutch, which we looked at and high level looks good from Deka, we have new OEM dual mass, the s7 drive/flex plate and mechatronics is being regenerated this week - having all valves and seals replaced on it and having it tested.

On top of this I ordered the transmission cooler from Michel - he says his car used to run at up to 120C trans oil temp stock, I installed a cheap custom small cooler and mine runs up to 110C, but speaking with mechanic, this is at the limit of what the oil can survive and keep it’s stickiness, as well as already bordering too hot for the mechatronics unit to last… Michel says that with the cooler he notices the temps much lower, 70-80C, that’s a huge upgrade, i’ll test on my car and update here.

Last bit we’re waiting on is the cooler, should be here this week i hope, so by end of week or start of next car should be put together and we’ll be doing testing while monitoring temperatures as well as clutch pressures with VCDS to ensure all is good and if something is off, catch it before anything goes wrong.

Will update you in a week or two :slight_smile:

At this point unable yo tell you if i was unlucky and got a bad batch from JHM or if the product isn’t designed to survive anything above stock car. JHM claims to have tested it with thousands of KMS and hundreds of launches on their NA car without issues, but at this point I’m not willing to spend more money of my own on trialing this further… Just sharing facts (photos) of my experience.

Great writeup and thanks for the update. I really like the real world assessment of things albeit I do wish things had gone far better for you. At 120C, the transmission is already evoking protections. As we talked privately, very strange on the JHM lightweight flywheel. They make it for the S5 and supercharged cars there too so it’s seen higher hp than an RS5 tuned or otherwise.

But one note at the risk of making you angry, it really does look like an installation error as the “teeth” are not eroded along their full length. You might want to have a talk with the shop that did the labor. What does the transmission snout look like?

Boxing up your transmission cooler right now actually…have to head to the dentist and have holes drilled in my head first though. I really hate dentists. Then off to UPS.

1 Like

I agree with Ape on the flywheel. Looks like somehow somebody chewed up the teeth on install. Also looks like somebody partially stripped one of the 10 assembly screws. I have the flywheel but haven’t driven my car for than 100 meters as waiting on other parts so I can’t comment. I did the install myself and I’m trying to picture how it ended up like this. In a manual I’ve seen splines chewed up in the beginning when someone didn’t use a Clutch alignment too but that isn’t necessary with the DSG. There are a few on Audizine that have been using the Aluminum flywheel for a while with some hard launches and no problems.

Well shit… Great write up sorry to hear about the clutch pack, I was really hoping to go with them… It does look like the fly wheel was installed incorrectly (miss aligned) the only thing I can speak for will be the about the flywheel from jhm… I had mine installed by a company and no issues yet… Knock on wood… but I have also launched my car probly about 40 plus times since having it installed and I am stage 2