Dragstrip v. Road Course

The thing about West is he’s been doing this for a while. To the point where you could pay $400 to participate in a highly organized DE…and west would be your instructor lol :o So like many things in life, some people let this kind of status get to their head and they are instantly the incarnation of Senna when it comes to all things cars.

I’ll respect West’s experience that he brings to the table, but in case you haven’t realized, that comes with the caveat of a shitload of opinions that frequently don’t equal the level of wisdom he should have. Sometimes it might be trolling, but sometimes it’s teh dumbz.

Guy takes Audi > $50k to a drag strip and calls me elitist. You win the Internet. My self awareness told me it wasn’t the place for me. Keep doing what you do and try not to shit on everyone else who tries it.

There’s more contention to join the 1/4 mile sport than there is to join a prison gang.

I love the road course and think that the drag strip is cool too

The thing I like about the road course is, every time you participate and you don’t wreck your car you’re a winner. Just the act of measuring makes the 1/4 mile a different discipline. The first car I encountered there was a 1998 Civic Hatchback gutted down to 1800 pounds with a 5 gallon fuel tank in the hood. Something was wrong with the car and instead of running low 11’s he was running 13’s. Basically it looked more frustrating for this guy than golf.

I’m not saying it’s bad, I’m just saying it’s not how I like to spend my free time. I’ll give it a try again and post about it because IDGAF, but I know there is a 0% chance anyone will be impressed with any time I can conjure.

You guys should really take it easy on people unless they assert they were going out to prove a world record time for the tune in question. If someone posts a road course video, I don’t get obsessed over whether their mods are making the car slow. I might comment on the line, praise the nice parts and make a suggestion.

lol @ whoever said it’s like video games. No Xbox experience required!

I will admit your AZ signature where some guy said he knew more about driving than you from xbox was priceless.

lol

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/400333675431_/NEW-RAY-SKY-PILOT-A-DOUGLAS-DC-3-AMERICAN.jpg

LOL roadcourse vs dragstrip.

In the roadcourse category alone, there are a multitude of different people.
You have people who only HPDE, and thus would never take the car to the same limit as someone who actually races…but yet still experience a much greater performance envelope than 99% of the population…

Then you have time attack guys who geek out about everything, and are able to drive balls to the wall, throwing caution to the wind for 3 laps but could not hold up to a real race with actual race craft involved.

Then there are guys who go w2w (chump car, karts, whatever) who really race in the traditional sense.

Who cares. Drag guys think road course guys can’t drive.

HPDE guys think drag guys only know how to shift, TA guys think HPDE guys are in the pre-school of driving, w2w guys think TA guys are monkeys who can only execute fast laps on an open track.

Fact of the matter is all of the above takes skill, all can be enjoyed, and all can be geeked out to identical levels.

The net/net though is you can give a noob a highly modded car, and give a pro a stock car. 9 times out of 10, the pro will spank the noob no matter the situation (drag or road course). There is skill involved period. But one of the disciplines is harder on the tranny and hurts synchros all day long (drag lol!).

[quote=“boro92,post:27,topic:6746”]
I find comments like this funny since driving on any type of track can put strain on components. It is just the cost of omission.

You even mentioned how you wore out a set of tires in two road course days.

I have seen other people post pictures of worn out brake pads and rotors from a single day on a road course. It also appears by some of West’s posts that his coilovers will be worn out from the thirty road course days that he has planned.

You have to pick your poison.

I see what you guys are talking about with the Mustangs. They do 12.0 stock @ 123 MPH and 8.8 with a few bolt ons at 164 MPH. Just like an S4 really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc1-Sp2csbI

I think your off on our mph there. maybe 164kph.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/17/878a10e968b3749877d48fcf4407a26d.jpg

Since when do full on custom builds count as a few bolt ons lol?

[quote=“JimmyBones,post:28,topic:6746”]

Totally. What you said cannot be disputed.
Consumables are a cost of admission, and arguably consumables for road course is higher than drag.
Outside of “just” tires and brakes, you got ball joints, tie rods, bushings and you are also worrying about many more fluids (differential for one!).

My comment on tire wear was more of a poking fun at this car. It is the worst car on tires I’ve ever took to a race circuit!
My Boss302 was good for 9 lapping days on the original tires…!

Dunno what the mustang talk is all about though. They are fast–not sure that really can be disputed either.
The Coyote V8s are pretty serious motors!

West is delusional and at this point he is arguing just to argue. He actually brought up the new GT350, which has nothing to do with the Coyote 5.0s or the GT500s, which he is also bringing up.

I hope he has better focus on a road course.

I think the desire to put a popular car with a huge aftermarket on a road course is quite mainstream and normal. Many people want to do this with an M3, and some of the same people want to do this with an S4 or C63 if they’re so inclined. Obviously the GT-R is flat out the best thing you can put out there for under $100k (assuming you can get one that cheap). So in some sense modding an M3 or S4 is silly when it’s not the best way to go truly fast.

It’s an achievement as a driver to get an S4 to do a 12.x. It’s a huge engineering and driving achievement to get an S4 to do 11’s and something that set this car apart from the M3 and RS5 for 5 years.

The 500 HP+ OEM sports car market is making our relative achievements less important. Dumping $15k into a $60k S4 is going to have a far different result than dumping $15k into a $60k [American Iron]. Those cars will be 2 seconds apart in a 1/4 mile.

This is how I look every time west posts…

https://allauthorsmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/stare-what-gif.gif

Again RTFS

IT IS NOT A PASTIME.
IT IS NOT HOW WE SPENDING OUR FREE TIME.
IT IS A MEASURING STICK TO GAUGE PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE WORLD STANDARD ACCELERATION BENCHMARK.

One day you road course elitists will figure out how to take the time to read the fucking screen, and you’ll catch up.

Maybe on a stock one…but on a marginally modded s4 a 12.x should be a guarantee unless you’re at bandimere DA, or unless you’re a terrible driver.

West…you are a terrible driver. That’s why you think running 12s is so great and 11s is witchcraft. It’s because your skewed version of reality is based on your shit times. Abandon that and wake up.

You are the slowest modified S4 in the world . The absolute worst. It’s not the car or the difficulty. It’s you. You’re terrible at this.

The B8 S4 has been out since late 2009. Apr… I mean revo…Tuned the first B8s some time in 2010 and the platform didn’t actually get off their ass till 2011.

The m3 (e9x) was running 10s before the B8 even went 11.999.

The RS5 went low 12s stock, and went low 11s with the first supercharger kit out there. Hell jhm has taken the dumbed down s5 4.2 well into the 11s@120mph with their $7500 supercharger kit + exhaust and lw rotors.

Do you just make this stuff up?

Saki,

Take a deep breath. I have spent a total of 90 seconds of my life attempting the 1/4 mile. I’m not the worst driver in the world. I am a beginner. If your expectation is that I’d go from beginner to world record in 90 seconds of practice, then you either overestimate me or underestimate the complexity of the sport you are a self described authority on.

Please don’t judge my times until I can source some bottled fuel of at least 104 octane. The stuff they sell at California pumps is not very potent. Crap like Sunoco SS100 cut with 10-15% ethanol. It’s a joke and is nowhere near on the level of VP MS109, Sunoco GT 250 Plus, or any of the other fuels that allow for the engine to run a crazy timing advance and achieve world records.

West, you are so far from a “world record” it isn’t even worth bringing up. The thing is your times weren’t even mediocre…just horrible. You should have been able to pretend like you were leaving a stop light on your way back from getting groceries and ran a faster time.

Your really just an excuse maker…kind of typical.

They’re not excuses. They’re retrospectives and ideas about what I’ll do next time. In spite of the trolling, I will share my experiences and my times. Dragging is hard and I’m probably not going to impress you on my third outing.

It kind of sucks that all of us plebes have 13 second cars and a few forum masters can wring 12’s out of them. Must be something in the gas…