Dragstrip v. Road Course

How many times do you have to be directed to the 1/4 mile database? It’s amazing how you continue to think that breaking into the 12s is something only a “few forum masters” have done.

Here, go take a look at all the B8s in the 11s and 12s. http://audirevolution.net/quartermile/

You’re really trying to discredit people’s good times though. Like its some conspiracy against just you…and you can’t have the magic fuel. MS109 or some great race gas is for the guys trying to set records not guys attempting to run as fast as a bone stock S4.

I we wish you luck like anyone, hell look how much we tried to help Skywagon…

So what did this guy do wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftqY_241l68

Who knows, but the first two things I can think of are 2300ft elevation in July won’t help anyone. You’re just being annoying now. If the car was stock, 6spd, it was July and the track elevation sucks…then a 13.9 might not be horrible.

You weren’t going for a record? Well you earned one…

‘Slowest tuned S4 in the world’

Slower than the 5 fastest stock times.

And nobody expected you to set a record fast time…that’s hard to do first time. What’s even harder to do though is to take a tuned S4 and run slower than stock at the 2nd fastest track in America lol

Exactly. There are 6 bone stock B8s in the 12s.

Exactly

He ran the car at probably density altitude of 5000 feet… Aka 15% down on power. Aka missing about 100 hp.

Here’s a Nissan gtr at the same track running low 12s at high teens mph
Nissan GT-R vs Ford Mustang Cobra Drag Race 1/4 m…:

http://youtu.be/HuHoXR7yLM4

Funny enough he’s not far off your time Westwest.

You guys are blaming the Earth for that guy’s bad time. I really can’t believe he posted it on the Internet because it wasn’t a record. How could Audi release a car like that from the factory because it’s 1.5 seconds slower than the record factory Audi S4 running on SpaceX fuel?

If I get my car fixed I just know I can do that sub 2:00 Thunderhill. Maybe I’ll drive to West Virginia to figure out what’s up.

You’re a fucking moron!

Clearly west has never heard of density altitude and how it affects performance. Either that or he chooses to ignore it for the purpose of looking like a complete douchebag?

Cool. So when someone you don’t know has a bad time, it’s weather. When I have a bad time I “can’t drive”.

"The popular Wednesday Night Drags program will kick off its 26th consecutive year at Sonoma Raceway on March 5, 2014. "

Let me check the Farmer’s Almanac and get back to you guys about whether this date will work.

We already analyzed your times West. This was 2 years ago. Did it up.

We were analyzing logs of a members revo s4 vs Apr and giac.

Anyway after you ran your terrible times we discussed it. We also looked at the many variables including weather / density altitude (which were excellent) . You had no reason to run so poorly. Watching your road course video last week was a light bulb moment for me. You just aren’t very good at going fast.

As for who we know and who we don’t know, we don’t give a fuck. Members here who run poorly when they shouldn’t have immediately get that feedback that the times are not good and we often try to help them figure out why so they can improve . Some people cry and run away when that happens, because they are too used to getting last place trophies and being told they did great (even when they are shit) . Others learn, and go back and get all they can out of the car without the mistakes.

There we have it. Like a true Internet bench racer, you tear down 8 years of my work with 8 minutes of judgement. It’s not trivial to run a 2:11 in an S4 with a passenger at Thunderhill when you’re mostly focused on testing out a new suspension and new brakes, rather than watching your times. It was an accidental time and it was a personal record. Of 100 cars in the field it was quicker than about 85 of them. It was the quickest S4 and the quickest street legal 4 door sedan, not that that means anything. There’s no real end to the sport; you keep going back and improving.

Like a responsible adult, I make a conscious decision whether to run ragged and find the edge or to safely bring my car back in one piece. Given the cash I’ve sunk into it recently, concern for the folks I was giving rides to, and the new components I think I made the right call. I do appreciate your impatience with my progress, boss.

I think you should get a job with the NTSB. You could even work from home because your judgement is so righteous. You just need some grainy footage and a keyboard.

I recommend a trip to Mexico to get some sun. I think you’re getting cabin fever up in Canada.

I’ll bring one of these weather meters to the strip with me because while Accuweather’s conditions at Sacramento Airport are interesting, they’re not relevant. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006H8PTMI/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It’s funny, the road course guys love to talk about perfecting a line to maintain speed throughout…then they make 11 gear changes during a lap where they coast for 1.5 seconds per gear change. Newsflash…you’re leaving loads of speed on the table with those slow gear changes.

In car footage of people who race for a paycheque shows they change gears with alacrity.

As for you beating a bunch of middle aged guys at a road course event, that’s awesome. Doesn’t mean you don’t suck at going fast through 4 gears. Because you do.

You’re worried about preserving your synchros…that’s the excuse? You spend $500/track day on brake/tire wear…but you are worried about doing a $1500 transmission rebuild once every 5 years, and that’s the excuse for why you’re slow as fuck? That makes sense lol.

I’ve got my 3 variables down:

1. BYOF - find cans of 104 octane, run tank to empty, let engine adjust for 25 miles
  2. Weather - try to have barometric pressure > 30
  3. Remember to shift
  • document everything for the post mortem of what could have been better

Don’t forget
4) When your passes suck, make excuses about how the earth’s magnetic pole is out of whack, how bad the California fuel is, and how every other person with a faster time is either full of shit, or deserves a Nobel prize for their achievements.

I really do hope I’m on one of “the fastest 1/4 mile tracks”. Nothing screams objectivity like known biases in the measuring stick. Maybe gravity is 9.9 m/s/s in that location, or there’s a large magnetic deposit under it (aluminum cars like the R8 need not apply). Or maybe the damn track is downhill with a nightly tail wind courtesy of the last glacier to carve up the hillside.

It’s not that the racing line is solely to minimize the time, but veering off it while carrying speed is scary. Even beginners like myself, who are usually more concerned with a getting a turn or section right (I don’t directly record times), can feel when you go off the line. Passing zones can be small and usually the passing car goes off line…scary when that involves corner entry.

I’d be interested to know what the delta’s are for “fast” tracks. For instance, we know the track up near Montreal has produced some real quick times (fastest stock b8 time for example). I’ve also heard atco is a very quick track.

So what are we talking here, maybe .05 sec on a 11.6 time? What about mph? I suppose Jim and myself could throw it into our sim lol.

And west,I think this discussion is more relevant to the guys vying for the b8 record. The ones who are .00x off each other.

Can we start a Road Course v. Autocross thread?