Dual Pulley (DA + 1470ft) results...

I’ll be the first to admit, curiosity got the best of me tonight and I wanted to run down the strip so bad. I had many things against me tonight:

Tires = 2/32nd’s and making the usage of launch control useless.
Track conditions = 76F / 29.98 mercury / 97% humidity makes for a DA of 1470 feet above sea level (despite a 50ft track elevation). It was humid, and unusually so for March in FL (normally doesn’t pick up until the end of April here)

I do have PSS tires arriving tomorrow to be installed, plus my ross-tech is sitting at the post office and I have not had time during their business to pick it up to log.

Mods: GIAC stage II / GIAC TCU / AWE-tuning pulley / JHM overdrive crank pulley / 034Motorsports TBB / AFE filter / drilled airbox / X-pipe mod

Gas = 1/4 tank remaining of my usual 93/E85 mix (37.7%)

60’ 1.687 (<— used LC here and spun w/ short shifting into 2nd)
330’ 4.824
1/8 7.438
MPH 95.04
1000’ 9.675
1/4 11.567
MPH 119.22

Note that my MPH on the above run is within .47 seconds compared to my non-dual pulley set-up where I ran 11.487 with a 60ft time of 1.656 with 5/32nd tires that gripped the track better and DA’s at least 1,000ft lower (DA on that run weeks ago was 368ft).

On that note, I did practice the two foot method, able to perform it consistently within 3 of my runs back to back , I was able to beat my previous best 60ft time (1.656), inching away now at 1.652, but curiously it didn’t deviate away from 11.5x@119mph. I think in DA’s more favorable and better 60ft’s with better tires/launch techniques (www.dragtime.com calculators agree, putting my at 11.38@121.21mph without taking into consideration better 60ft times that could be had with better tires).

Thoughts?

I’ll be going back closer to the end of March where the humidity is expected to drop to the normal 60% range and temps in the evening closer to high 60’s/low 70’s

in comparison to other runs, IIRC my non-dual pulley times were 11.7x in similar DA’s.

That is a good result given the conditions and fuel. Nice work. What were your previous trap speeds?

It will be interesting to see what your bypass and timing looks like. Just based on the time and improvement, I’d expect them to look for pretty good.

Also, did you do any back-to-back passes or hot lapping? Curious how that’d work out with the dual pulley and no cooling upgrade?

Given the conditions and what sounds like shitty traction because of the tires I’d say you did very well… That DA isn’t horrible but the high heat, humidity and low bp makes it deceptive as the conditions suck… lol

Really impressed by the 1/8th trap speed of 95mph, even the times I trapped 121-123 I was only at 94.x in the 1/8th… You should be in the high 11.3x - low 11.4x in stellar da’s I would think…

Go get that cable as logs from the strip will give us a better picture, I’m guessing given your GIAC you aren’t dumping much if any boost but would love to see that and how timing looks…

Good stuff man!

Last time at the track, conditions allowed for approx +1270ft DA’s (slightly better, but not enough to make any noticable difference), where I ran 11.7x’s 60ft times of 1.68x with a best of:

60’ 1.681
330’ 1.681
1/8 7.516
mph 93.51
1000 9.79
1/4 11.717
mph 117.06

On that same day (IIRC this was approx. 3 1/2 weeks ago) with a similar 60ft time as yesterday’s dual-pulley:

60’ 1.686
330’ 4.880
1/8 7.541
mph 93.05
1000’ 9.821
1/4 11.754
mph 116.67

I’m very interested as well, my butt dyno tells me that even by the end of 4th gear, there isn’t a sensation of bypass or timing dropping, just a nice pull. I do notice that the car doesn’t pick-up too much speed until 5,500rpm, which does make me wonder if i’m starving for fuel (with my mix) in the mid-range. Don’t get me wrong, its stronger than the non-dual set-up in the mid-range, but there is a nice bump in power that starts at 5,500rpm, where as the non-dual pulley was more linear in pull. I’ll be picking up the ross-tech today and hopefully can log sometime this weekend.

I don’t think i’ll be seeing that 300ft DA’s any more until Dec’ :frowning: But I’m going to continue to work with the weather conditions I have, it would be interesting if I can beat my previous best time in higher DA’s. I’ll start logging soon and get it posted for review.

10-15 minute cool down between those runs (hood opened, car on to let coolant flow through the intercooler to cool), no straight back-to-back/hot lapping runs. I should bring an ice bag next time just in case ;D

Wish someone has a DIY to install an independent switch for the cooler pump to run while the car is off. That’s something I would love to do once I start on my cooling system upgrades piece by piece.

Also, for comparison sake after looking at all of my past non-dual pulley timeslips, my 11.5x’s were all 1.66x 60ft times and traps were 117.xxmph, and one 118.31mph.

I know you’ve answered this somewhere, but you don’t have LW wheels or brakes/rotors? What wheels and tires do you have now?

currently OEM 19" rotors (19x9) on OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires.

Will have PSS installed soon (4lbs lighter per tire to boot).

what do the OEM rotors weigh?

Bummer you’re in texas because your car is fixing to set the 3.0T record. I will need to update you on the list.

IIRC 29lbs. If you add me, use the 11.486 non-dual time if you could lol

I’m also in FL, hopefully I can make a record pass still before it gets too hot.

I see what you did there…lol

what’d I do? He went 11.4 @ 119 with one pulley. AKA within a tenth of the fastest B8 S4/S5 time and he is still missing a load of mods like LW wheels, rotors, overdrive pulley, overdrive tune.

I really think this spring will see a lot of breakout times for the 3.0T cars. There’s a whole new generation of owners who are going to the strip. You old guys have to look over your shoulder because they’re coming!

ross-tech installed and working, now just waiting for the callback from the tire shop that my car is ready so I can start logging ;D

I’m surprised myself that I am .86 away from the current stock S/C record with so little done as well. It looks like the weather will be improving (humidity-wise) for the next week or so. I am hoping I can set a W/R with my fuel mix (as long as the logs look good) with the new set of tires. In any case, it does go to show you the potential of this platform and I also see multiple records being broken this year by others who are stepping up to a dual-pulley set-up.

Primetime, I hope that shift lag gets fixed! I have started to notice something similar myself, only not to the degree of yours, at the last couple events particularly on the 3-4 upshift, and it does cost some time when I compare similar 60ft & 1/8mile runs that should have resulted in similar 1/4mile times but were within .04-.06 of each other.

oops…not .86 away from the current stock S/C world-record, .086 away.

Man, it’s worth buying one of these and replicating yor exact kid strategy :wink: faster than a stock rs7 and s8 and about as fast as a tuned c7 s6 :slight_smile: keep it moving man! I guess you got rid of the m3 idea after all. Heard that car has no soul btw

“Fixing” lol.

0.86? I think you need to start dividing by ten. That’s the second time. You’ve done that.