ECUTOOL.com VAG Com cables - some info

The ecutool.com vagcom cable replicas work quite well (fully featured hacked VAG COM software capable of data logging, adaptation modules…everything), but there are a few things to know:

1. the cables don’t change. The software does, so if you have an old cable from them from 2 years ago (say 812.4 or a 9.08), you don’t need another cable to ‘upgrade’…you just need to update the ecutool.com software (link below)
  2. you need to run a 32 bit version of windows, not 64 bit
  3. 10.6 is the best version of the software they have. Their 11.1 is still really buggy. The 11.80 was even worse, so they took it down. To make 10.6 work, you need to change your computer’s date to Jan 1, 2011 when you run it. Only when you run it though, not for download/install etc. It’s no big deal as you probably use the cable once a month at most.
  4. you can download all of the software bundles here in this package:
    http://www.sinodownloads.com/down/download/ecutool/3504028VAG118.rar

Again though…use 10.6. It’s the best, most fully featured version, and has no bugs. Just the slight PITA of the date change thing.

I have used an 812.4 cable for ages, and recently bought a new cable so it would be able to log data for B8 S4 (friend’s car). My old cable wouldn’t do it…or so I thought. You can just download the newer SOFTWARE…without needing a new cable. So, I traded my old cable to Axel for a NAV disc. :slight_smile:

Good info saki. I take it this is the exact cable you are referring to?
http://ecutool.com/VWAUDI-Diagnostic-Cable-V1110-VCDS-HEX-USB_7953.html

That’s interesting that the ecutool.com cable works that way, b/c my understanding was that the eBay cables (I owned one before replacing with RossTech cable) would only work with the exact version of the software they came with. I.E. if you tried newer or older the cable wouldn’t work, but it worked fine with the version written on the cable. Maybe I had a special chinese cable, or maybe I was just a bit of a special user, but that was my experience with the ebay cable. That said it was still fine to access Navigation info via OBD and make all changes I needed as well as data log etc on the B7.

the typical ebay cables use ross-tech’s shareware, that you download from ross-tech’s site. They allow very limited access to coding.

the ecutool.com cable uses a hacked version of the full rocket vag-com. It allows full access to everything.

your ebay cable just sounds weird. Where would you even get updated software? From Ross-Tech? There’s your problem right there, if so. Not hacked.

p.s. I just noticed that the price on the ecutool.com is now $22. Holy shit. Use the cheapest shipping option possible (around $15) and it should be here in under 2 weeks.

My Ebay cable came with cd to install the software, but I could download from the site as well, but it had to be the same version (I think it was 7.01 or something at the time). So yes, probably the Shareware you are referring to. And I could not update the software, but it didn’t bug me for the $15 bucks I spent, I didn’t see any need for updated software at the time. I bought the cable about 2-2.5yrs ago and had never heard of that site you mentioned at the time. It seemed everyone was doing the ebay cable then and I’m not even sure if JHM had their current cable on their site at the time.

Surprisingly enough, I was actually able to access just about everything I needed to with that cable, I did all the little driver mods on my car and others (seatbelt chime, window roll down etc) and also coded for the AUX feature on the RSN-E.

So is the link I provided the cable that you are referring to? $22 bucks for a cable that’ll do everything including B8 stuff is pretty awesome. Makes me consider selling my $400 rosstech cable andy use buying that. . .

Awesome. I’ve been looking for a solution other than the ridiculously expensive Ross tech cable. I have an eBay cable which I use with VAG-Lite. It allows me to do all the basic stuff on my car, but it will not connect to my friends 2007 S6. So I take it this ecu tool once will solve that issue?

I’ve been using the lite version on win764 so it look like I’ll need to get my hands on an old laptop with xp.

yes fully functional for $22 + shipping (around $15)

I thought you said you could log your car with the $15 cable? I would have thought you couldn’t if it was the standard ebay cable that uses VAGCOM shareware.

great info here guys…really will help when I put it all together

I can log on my car but a few features are unavailable. The main issue is not being able to connec to, and log my friends s6. JHM needs the timing logs for the tune

get a netbook…they almost all run windows 7 starter, which is 32

sweet!! just ordered mine!

Well I got my cable all hooked up and installed the 10.6 program on my Dell w/Windows 7 64-bit, I can read codes and only check the Engine control module. If I try to access anything else it says the CAN is not recognized. Is this because I’m running on 64-bit? Would I be able to make this work on anything 32-bit, for example Vista or XP?

don’t know how you missed this part lol

No, I read it perfectly clear but it is lacking a reason why. I thought that since I was successful at downloading it to my Win7 64-bit along with some updated drivers(who knows what for) that somehow I got lucky and it magically works. I’ll admit I could have been more thorough with my previous post, oops! Thanks for clearing things up! Now I’m on to source a netbook…

I like this place way more than AZ. Everyone over here is knowledgable on the technical side of this platform, anyone could tint out the tail lights but to look at things from a similar prospective like I do, my hats off to ya! I work as a Chevrolet Technician and am new to the german hammer but for now I don’t see myself driving another domestic vehicle for awhile.

I realize the germans like to fit 100lbs of shit in a 10lb bag but I understand why, that is the principle of the fact, they do it because there is a reason, to make this car as best as it can be.

I’m new and I want to learn everything about this car, but most importantly the VAG, lol
All I want is a straight and true answer, very hard to come by from AZ or AW or EA. That’s why I come here!

Cheers! 8)

Let’s try another one:

DON’T DRINK YOUR OWN PISS

(waiting to see you do it, since I didn’t say why you shouldn’t :D)

Great ANALogy! You like anal don’t you? :wink:

Just ordered my cable last night. $42 shipped

wow. Did you opt for overnight delivery? Just get the cheapass slow delivery. Comes in like 10 days.

I did get the cheapest.

Finally ordered mine, thanks for the tip Saki!

This cable is getting expensive. Buying a netbook just for vag com lol