Engine drop question

1 Like

Well I have to pull it apart now I did have one pitfall pulling it apart it was a oil hose I forgot to unhook but thatā€™s pretty much it

Thatā€™s an awesome sight! Good job!

Any idea how much the engine and trans weigh? Iā€™m thinking about getting a cart for when I do my drop, but donā€™t know the load rating I need.

Keep posting pics!

I have no idea Iā€™m using a engine hoist that was previously used on removing boat engines

According to Audi and ZF published specs, you are looking at a combined weight of approximately 700# for the engine and tranny. You would need to add the weight of the subframe, mounts etc to that figure for your gross weight.

I used a 1000# motorcycle lift to lower mine down out of the chassis and it could just lift it back up to working height on 120psi air

Great info, eng92. I was thinking about getting this cart:
Cart

Then I could use it for other things around the garage.

Thoughts?

It says 1200# ā€œoverallā€ capacity. To me, that implies a uniformly distributed load over BOTH trays.

Jegs trans tear down table

How about this? You would think the 1000# rating is for the top surface alone?

The whole thing only ways 148# so the formed top is most likely fairly light gauge steel. I would definitely use wood blocking to transfer the load to the corners.

Are you planning on separating the engine & tranny?

Yes was going to separate to at least do rear main seal while I was at it

Hey when do the rocker arms and lifters usually go bad Iā€™m wondering if I should change them when I get to that point

They rocker arms and lifters shouldnā€™t go bad. Itā€™s rare that they doā€¦ Am I remembering right that you had a bad arm failure on the cylinder headā€¦

The one thing that can go bad is the cam cradle gasket seal. This causes oil to leak into the spark plug tube location.

Thanks Justin I was a bit worried about that and price to replace them and Iā€™ll definitely be changing that gasket Iā€™d be a fool to not to change them and another good thing was since starter died on me it helped me find that coolant was going into oil and Iā€™ll be changing those gaskets in the back. Still to be honest for paying 4k for this car from an auction Iā€™m still saving a lot of money. They literally totaled this car out from the oil filter housing gaskets leaking lol

I have another question should I get the tensioners for the car from Audi itā€™s self or aftermarket versions of them

I solute your bravery in doing this. As I own the car longer and longer, things like cats, O2 sensors and power steering pumps come to mind.

Driven over 30k miles since October 2019. Sheā€™s been (overall) good to me.

Finally separated it

Awesome!!!

Congrats!

How much time did it take?

a couple days due to it being outside and freezing with snow and rain but it probably would of took me a couple hours if it wasnā€™t for that and it being first time i pulled it apart