Engine drop question

Hi I have an Audi s6 2007 5.2 the starter died on the car at 70900 miles and unfortunately the whole engine has to come out which is worse of my luck. I was wondering what exactly I should change on engine when I drop it. I already know about tensioners but what else should I change?

1 Like

O2 sensors
Coolant tube o-rings in the chain boxes
Others?

What are you doing for a table to lower the engine/trans on? I got to do the same this year…

That is a great time to assess if you are going to pull the prone to fail cats out. Also check in the spark plug tubes to see if there is any standing oil. the cam ladder gasket can leak and when that happens that too is a motor out job. It’s a bit of work so if you can do it now that would be best.

Also just a good time to check all of the gaskets from oil pan to valve covers as now is a much better time to get to these things.

Entirely depends on your budget and mechanical ability.

1. Oxygen sensors depending
    1a. Three of the O2s are unreachable with the engine still in the car. They are bank two (cylinders 4 and 5) sensors 1 and 2 along with bank four (cylinders 9 and 10) sensor 1.
    1b. Three of the O2s are annoying to replace with the engine still in the car but doable. They are bank 1 (cylinders 1-3) sensor 2, bank 3 (cylinders 6-8) sensor 2, and bank 4 (cylinders 9 and 10) sensor 2.
    1c. Two of the oxygen sensors are extremely easy to replace. They are bank 1 (cylinders 1-3) sensor 1 and bank 3 (cylinders 6-8) sensor 1.

2. Fix any leaks and potential oil leaks like the rear main seal.

3. Replace the four o-rings for the coolant transfer pipes inside the upper timing chain covers.

4. Removing the cylinder heads to have the valve guides checked/replaced, along with replacing the valve stem seals and camshaft cradle gaskets would be good if you have a good local machine shop.

5. Replace any coolant lines that look bloated from oil leakage.

6. Replace the AC compressor, orifice tube, and receiver drier.

7. Check for carbon buildup and replace the fuel injectors if there is carbon buildup.

Jimmy, I have a 2-post lift. How would you do the drop, what would you lower the engine/trans onto?

As of right I’m going to pick up a engine hoist off of Facebook to take the engine out

I’ll probably try to change all of that I have to make sure this car doesn’t fail me when I start college and I know from my past Audi A6 2006 4.2 the ac compressor failed, starter, power steering pump failed and I changed all of that going through that hell I’m most definitely changing all of that

I made a wooden table comparable to the factory sissor lift table to set the engine and transmission down on. Jack stands works for the cheap easy method too.

Good luck. It is tight to get the engine thru the frame opening on the front so go slow.

Will do my best this will be my first engine removal

1 Like

Post pics pls!

+1 :+1:

…and plz describe any pitfalls :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I worked on car today I forgot to take pictures but I have the car jacked up entirely all on jack stands which took a while to set up and I started unhooking harness and all that and hoses on top so all I have to do is the bottom under the car

So my main concern is that when I drained the oil out I saw antifreeze come out of it when I loosen screw a bit but when I took it out completely all oil came out all dirty and oil didn’t look right

1 Like

So the o-rings for the coolant transfer pipes of the upper timing chain covers are leaking coolant into the oil.

I had a feeling it would be that well hopefully tomorrow I can pull the engine and I’ll send some pics of how I’m doing everything

Free bit of advice. Pull out the starter wire and the alternator wire as soon as you can get to both of them. Or the motor drop is going to be held up by those wires.

1 Like

1 Like

Well as expected I had my pitfalls first of all back in the past when I did the manifold I removed one of engine hooks and forgot to put it back so I’m managing with 3 which isn’t messing up and my biggest pitfall was I accidentally stripped one of driveshaft screws so I cut the head off thankfully and now I just have one screw without head in there and I just need to separate it. The hoist is holding the engine and I have a wind up jack holding the transmission up so pretty much everything is separated other then the driveshaft giving me an issue

You have your jack stands on concrete pavers. Using concrete blocks, pavers, etc is dangerous as they have been know to crack and give way. Your whole car could fall unexpectedly.

You’re doing a great job. I don’t know you, but I just want you to be safe. Please consider getting stands that can raise higher without the block.

Yeah I will for next time hopefully now since the hoist is really holding the engine it’ll take some pressure off it so hopefully it doesn’t break