Epic Tuning Group and Frankenturbo?

Nope. In fact, the policy here is just the opposite.

The forum is continuing to grow, but you can help by spreading the word. :wink:

Nothing is erased and there are no paid advertisers so the truth can’t be buried. Tough forum!

Do you have any tips for getting people to come over from AZ without directly pissing off AZ?

PM them…

And post links to AR threads. It’s becoming a common practice over there. Pretty funny - AZ members are basically conceding that this is the go-to forum for substantive information.

I would never buy anything from JFonz or Epic Tuning Group or Frankenturbo. I prefer to continue dealing with reputable companies that sell reputable parts and give amazing customer support. A proper tuning companies doesn’t need you to send in you ECU time after time after time for revisions on something that should have been figured out before it was released for sale. Also what real world results do either of these companies have to show in the B7 A4 community? I would put good money on Jake @JHM’s ko3 being able to beat up on a Frankenturbo car . I would also love to see VortexJunkie’s Avant have at any ETG tuned B7 A4…

Just my thoughts on the matter.

This would actually be really interesting…seeing JHM vs ETG…I doubt they would want to play though, all I have ever seen from them is highway pull videos, nothing from a standstill, no quarter mile. Maybe we can find someone with an ETG stage 1 tune to go up against JHM, though it might be a more fair fight if it was ETG stage 3 vs JHM lol.

I would bet that the JHM car walks the EGT car similar to the Revo vs JHM video. I would also think that if JHM is making a tune that can take on, so far ALL of the tuners that it has come up against, it will be the best option out there.

Thought some of you might find this humorous. I had some time with photoshop and decided to recreate the “well researched and tested” frankenturbo compressor maps.

Here is the compressor map for the k04 claimed by FT.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7202/13993848711_63f6a7c7c6_o.jpg

And Here is the compressor map for the F23 as claimed by FT.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7381/13997460834_5c70f88002_o.jpg

Oooh so close, but not a perfect fit…Well lets overlay them to see how far they are off.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/13973918656_7d40aa2c48_o.jpg

Interesting, these compressor maps look nearly identical…but thats impossible for two turbos that are different.

Let’s scale the k04 map up just a smidgen, maybe 5-10%.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5265/13993824502_8d1fafb1d0_o.jpg

And there you have it. A brief DIY on how to sell cheap turbos for a high price by using photoshop instead of real research.

Unfortunately FT already has a Master of Photoshop, so they rejected my offer to help them draw many impressive dyno sheets in Microsoft paint and photoshop.

Well the Frankenturbo is k04 based so I wouldn’t imagine the compressor maps being THAT different, but they also shouldn’t match up perfectly either lol.

I had the F21 on my B5 A4 and I really enjoyed it. I felt like the quality was there, and it pulled hard on the butt dyno with the unitronic 440 tune (this was pre frankenturbo specific tunes). I spoke with Doug a few times while I was getting stuff ironed out and he seems pretty knowledgeable and I didn’t feel like he was trying to blow smoke up my ass. Everything ran great and I daily drove it 100+ miles a day for a few months before I got my s4. But this was just my personal experience and I used an off the shelf tune. It probably wasn’t optimal for the turbo, but I never had an issue from the first time I started it up other that blowing off a couple intercooler pipes.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated or defending Frankentuebo, just stating my personal opinion and experience :slight_smile:

K04 stock vs k04 “based” (ie modified) SHOULD be much more than a 5-10% gain. That’s IF you’re doing it right and selling a decent product.

I’m actually surprised they have a compressor map for the modified turbo, seems like you don’t ever see that on custom hybrid setups, just when it’s from the manufacture. I wonder if it’s actually a true compressor map for their hybrid.

This’ll really be helpful to people who are looking for more technical in formation. Very impressive of mec to think of this and to figuring this out.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Its absolutely not a true compressor map. That’s what I am trying to show in my post. He took a K04 map, enlarged it slightly and called it the F23 map. And using that he can say “well if you look at the compressor maps, you can clearly see that the f23 will outflow a k04”. Well that’s just the kind of wacky tacky statement you would expect from someone who makes falsifies information to sell you a product.

I personally have never run a Frankenturbo. I have installed a few of them on 1.8t’s, not yet on the 2.0t, and I have to say I was not impressed, but of course it was a cheap turbo, IIRC its like $900-1000 for a 1.8t FT. For the 2.0t FT charges $1500…and that price you have to start asking questions like how can this half assed half researched product be more efficient than a Garrett gt turbo or a Borg Warner k04 turbo that has decades of research put into it. At those price levels you are giving up quite a lot of performance to stick with something that is “direct fitment”

dude, the islands would NEVER fall exactly the same like that if it just happened to be X% better. They just fucking lied and stole the BW map. Simple.

MEC…well done. That’s an amazing post. + karma and all around I have to say, you’re a pretty solid member in the B7 A4 forum. Hopefully the vendors and retards on the forums don’t shoot you down.

ARe you going to post this on audizine ? You should PM the fat manatee fuck named MEOW who posts on the AZ B5 section. He works at BorgWarner sweeping the floors. I’m sure he’d love to hand in a scalp for a scammer. Basically FT has put out a RFP to the Chinese copycat manufacturers on the internet, and sent them a BWk04 to copy. SO they reckon ‘we can just use their map’. THen they probably claim to have made some change, and thus the call to action for someone shelling out $1000 is that they’re a bit cheaper AND are 5% better. It’s pretty fucking sad.

I already posted to AZ. Post 1012
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/531345-New-Turbo-Option-for-FSI-Frankenturbo/page26

I love Audizine, its been my forum for over 3 years now, but a lot of the people over there don’t necessarily care about validity or truth so long as it saves them $5 and “seems legit”. I didn’t get the reaction I was hoping for on AZ. Most people actually defended Doug. I mean he blatantly lies to customers faces, sells them a WAYYY overpriced turbo, and people eat that shit up. I mean it got a few members thinking, but overall, it didn’t have a significant impact. Doug never came back to say anything either, I mean what can you say, he obviously isn’t about to admit to it, and he can’t really say the f23 has perfectly scaled k04 flow. So he just never came back.

That was on of the times when I really questioned AZ, maybe I’m just really strongly opinionated against vendors lying about a half assed product, but I was really surprised that people still defended him.

Your an AR guy, that is what most of us are about. The best thing you can do is exactly what you did. You’ll face idiots, but you’ll inform some that can think for themselves. Eventually those guys will begin questioning people too. It’s hard on AZ to keep vendors honest though because they control posts with their money.

Get other good A4 guys over here and build that section on truth and technical knowledge.

Nice work, mec! More shadiness from ETG

Anyone else want to join in on the FT party? http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/590445-Just-bought-frankenturbo-f23l/page3

Lol, I las literally just reading that thread out of boredom when you posted this.

They drank the koolaid…