GERMANBrew's Lightweight RS5 Journey

Good older thread on here I thought I’d bump back up. Obviously the JHM Stg2 tune is probably the best performance item you can do but it works better with Headers? Lighter, free flowing exhaust. Best single item for weight if you have OEM rotors is a set of OEM or aftermarket Forged wheels, stronger and lighter. I love the Rotors look but couldn’t stand the weight. They are now on my S5 but even that car will get Forged wheels soon. For weight I’ll add in the complete removal of the SAI system, weight in the far front (twin airpumps) plus hoses going to the back of the engine, plus it cleans things up and looks better. I posted elseware but the ECS Carbon Fiber rear Spoiler was 30oz less than the plastic OEM, almost 2lbs there. Seibon Carbon fiber hood was worth 20lbs+, Front higher weight but a pretty sturdy hood. There are lighter Carbon fiber hoods out there (really thin) but the Seibon could be said to be close to an OEM quality item. Ask Carbon rear diffuser, I’ll weight the OEM one this week but the Ask Carbon is sweet (Thanks Ape for the recommned). I decided I wanted a nice Carbon Fiber engine cover as my original plastic looked a little faded, the Nitrocomposites (UK) piece is almost 1lb lighter. Titanium Wheel bolts, you can get them on sale from USP Motorsports or ECS tuning for around $200 as set and they don’t corrode (sorry but if you live in the NE your Salt can probably corrode anything).

1 Like

Hahnmgh63, you bring up some great suggestions! I will start looking into the SAI delete now that there seems to be some info on it. I’m a big fan of deleting unnecessary weight ESPECIALLY in the front end.

I’m going to be doing the SAI delete thanks to @hahnmgh63 and his help. I’m just waiting for my gaskets and I’m ready to go !
The plates I got of eBay for 10 pounds inc p+p they are for an e46 bmw and are egr delete plate’s but are the right size exactly with about 4/5 mm thickness, the oem gaskets cost 3 odd pounds so it’s an easy cheap mod if you do it yourself :blush:

GERMANBrew, when you removed the rear seatbelts did you have to code them out to keep from getting and Airbag warning? I know the rears have Pyro initiators on them so they’ve got the Yellow plugs. You are right that they are a real pain to remove. I replaced a bad one on my S5 a couple of years ago but now I want to remove them from the S5 & RS5, not like I’m ever going to put someone in the back seat.

Hahn, I can’t give you a definitive yes/no about the rear belts because I have an “AIRBAG” light on already due to the Wingbacks. I did scan the car though several times and I don’t recall seeing anything seatbelt related. I’ll check again this summer when I pull the old gal out of the stable.

I’ve been on the hunt for OEM RS5 wingbacks without much luck.

Besides eBay.co.uk any suggestions on where else I should be looking?

I found mine on EBay.DE the German site. Sometimes RS246.com has a set. PartsBy Topher on IG might be able to help as well. You have to be patient and ready to go. It took me 18 months to find and secure mine.

Thanks!

We will see what pops up =D

Are they still $5k?

They are still $5K and UP. Inflation right?

The other option would be to go with the Recaro CS’s from AMX Performance out of Poland. He reworks the covers to your specifications.

did the OEM wingbacks only come in B8 RS5’s in EU? Or also B8.5s?

They came in 8.5’s also. We Americans are too fat to get them.

1 Like

Same with the C5 RS6’s. I had to buy a set for my RS6 from Germany a few years ago.

Rs4’s had them as well b8 & b8.5’s

Rs4 seats will work in the rs5?

Any modifications needed?

I may have found myself some rs4 wingbacks.

RS4 ones will work just as well other than having the wrong stamp in the headrest.

Mine are from a Cabriolet RS5 so those have a latch mechanism integrated into the “harness holes” in the shoulders area. It’s kind of slick and let’s you fold the seat forward with ease. I think the R8 ones have that as well.

Issues wise…you will get an “AIRBAG” light in the cluster and you will have the “Passenger Airbags OFF” constantly illuminated. There are fixes for both. I’ll get around to those someday.

Yes defo will work and fit as are the same as the RS5 seats only thing is they will say RS4 on them but if your having them retrimmed then its not an issue !

Since the last update I’ve:

Gotten married, had a kid and hunted for a few very special parts for this build. I’m happy to say that things are going well on all 3.

Big items to come and some serious weight to be shed. Stay tuned…

1 Like

This elevator music is killing me while we wait. Post photos man, we’re dying here!

1 Like

Customs/UPS decided to remove my RS6 rear CCBs from the correct packaging and toss them in a box loose with the calipers. One rotor is likely toast. I’m in a large battle with them all now. UPS decided they weren’t done being a terrible company so they sent me a surprise $124 bill for their service of destroying my package. I have had 20 years of dealing with UPS and their absolute negligence. They’ve destroyed more Audi product of mine than one could imagine. I was hit by a UPS truck back in 08’ in my 2000 S4 when he ran a red and tried to blame me.

My inbound Fi-R wheels are another wild ride:
(4) tracking #s in from Japan. Slightly used wheels/tires. 2 of 4 arrived on time and in good shape. I sat in limbo on the last 2 as some tornados had hit the FedEx Memphis hub area. 5 days they just sat as “Arrived Memphis” granted they all shipped the same day from the seller. Suddenly, the FedEx truck pulls up with my last 2! I’m talking with the driver about the saga and he hears “Japan” and goes “Oh man……THIS is the flagged package! I can’t release this one wheel.” Back on the truck to the local distribution center my 4th and final wheel went (out of my literal hands) while “International clearance” takes place. That was 6 days ago now……

To boot, I usually only have about 6 weeks in spring to get my car stuff done and then I get slammed until winter. The window of opportunity is rapidly closing.

In summary: spending $10k doesn’t mean you won’t just have a useless pile of headaches.

I’ll update with pictures once this all shakes out. Onward!