GERMANBrew's Lightweight RS5 Journey

No mas…

1 Like

After the removal of the rear seats, that woofer becomes so useless. Might as well remove it as well

1 Like

Exhaust is quite a bit louder with those rear seats out hey? I’ve had mine out for a year and I doubt I’ll put them back in. They weigh (without the bottom cushion) around 80lbs.

1 Like

I find my exhaust way way louder with the back seat down, so much it sounds like my engine is in the rear :joy:

1 Like

I definitely notice the exhaust is louder with the seat uprights out. I hated the road noise with the seat bottoms removed so those went back in. They only weigh a few lbs so the tradeoff wasn’t worth it.

As far as the rear sub being worthless, I still hear it just fine. Seems the same. Did you have a different experience Vancmann?

Ape_Factory just hooked up the next weigh loss mod. 45 lbs lost on this one…

1 Like

Ya I’ve got the rear seat cushions in, road noise isn’t too bad, but defiantly louder!

I’m currently fabricating a rear seat delete panel to make the cage a more factory look. I was really surprised how heavy the uprights were.

Michel and I talked about this, I’m interested, keep me posted.

To confirm, you have the bottom cushion still installed correct? It only weighed like 1-3lbs

Yeah, TN_RS5 the uppers are like 95% of the weight! Post up pics of the rear seat delete when you get a chance. I have a few materials for some as well, just have to find some time.

BTWarranty, it should be here on Friday. Yes, rear seat bottoms are still in.

Mine arrived today. :crazy_face: Be sure to download the app to monitor!

The app is way cool. I’m sitting here in my office upstairs and I can monitor the battery in the car which is almost directly below me.

If anyone wants an Antigravity battery at an amazing price, shoot me a PM. I have one left from the initial batch but can get as many as needed.

Just downloaded the app and should be receiving a package tomorrow! Ape FTW.

Is it in yet? Is it in yet? :slight_smile:

In…

So far so good. 4 days of sitting and it’s only lost 2%. oh…and 45lbs! pics to come shortly

Sorry for the delayed response. Haven’t used the car in a few weeks and wanted to give a good listen. The answer is It works okay. The woofer (sub?) still works but has greatly diminished bass. The nature of a Good bass from woofer/sub is to isolate the wave of the front of the speaker from the sound wave of rear of the speaker to make it efficient. Hence why woofers come in enclosures, trunk or speaker box. In the RS5, with the removed seat, the efficiency is greatly reduced but not completely because although the seat is removed, the rear of the speaker is sorta in a different enclosure. Ie trunk.

Anyway, I much prefer the sound of the engine so no priority in updating Audi system atm.

Good older thread on here I thought I’d bump back up. Obviously the JHM Stg2 tune is probably the best performance item you can do but it works better with Headers? Lighter, free flowing exhaust. Best single item for weight if you have OEM rotors is a set of OEM or aftermarket Forged wheels, stronger and lighter. I love the Rotors look but couldn’t stand the weight. They are now on my S5 but even that car will get Forged wheels soon. For weight I’ll add in the complete removal of the SAI system, weight in the far front (twin airpumps) plus hoses going to the back of the engine, plus it cleans things up and looks better. I posted elseware but the ECS Carbon Fiber rear Spoiler was 30oz less than the plastic OEM, almost 2lbs there. Seibon Carbon fiber hood was worth 20lbs+, Front higher weight but a pretty sturdy hood. There are lighter Carbon fiber hoods out there (really thin) but the Seibon could be said to be close to an OEM quality item. Ask Carbon rear diffuser, I’ll weight the OEM one this week but the Ask Carbon is sweet (Thanks Ape for the recommned). I decided I wanted a nice Carbon Fiber engine cover as my original plastic looked a little faded, the Nitrocomposites (UK) piece is almost 1lb lighter. Titanium Wheel bolts, you can get them on sale from USP Motorsports or ECS tuning for around $200 as set and they don’t corrode (sorry but if you live in the NE your Salt can probably corrode anything).

1 Like

Hahnmgh63, you bring up some great suggestions! I will start looking into the SAI delete now that there seems to be some info on it. I’m a big fan of deleting unnecessary weight ESPECIALLY in the front end.

I’m going to be doing the SAI delete thanks to @hahnmgh63 and his help. I’m just waiting for my gaskets and I’m ready to go !
The plates I got of eBay for 10 pounds inc p+p they are for an e46 bmw and are egr delete plate’s but are the right size exactly with about 4/5 mm thickness, the oem gaskets cost 3 odd pounds so it’s an easy cheap mod if you do it yourself :blush:

GERMANBrew, when you removed the rear seatbelts did you have to code them out to keep from getting and Airbag warning? I know the rears have Pyro initiators on them so they’ve got the Yellow plugs. You are right that they are a real pain to remove. I replaced a bad one on my S5 a couple of years ago but now I want to remove them from the S5 & RS5, not like I’m ever going to put someone in the back seat.