GERMANBrew's Lightweight RS5 Journey

Before and after will be a little hard as a lot of mods are done now and I am just getting them into this thread. There are so many additional options for dropping weight. I can’t wait to see how light this thing can get without sacrificing relative comfort and aesthetics.

What’s the next big item? I keep having dreams of purchasing a 3D metal printer which can print using magnesium alloys and create lightweight suspension components (control arms, uppers and what not…) then I wake up.

Can’t wait to see what’s next though!

2 Likes

Ask him for his progress pics on the rear delete. It’s coming along very nice!

Post progress pics or die! I kid I kid. Photos would be lovely though.

My bad I didn’t clarify. I meant Draggy before and after just for Stage 2. I’m curious how that extra 40/50 hp will change the acceleration on the lightened version of the RS5 compared to the standard weight that most have.

I posted this on Audizine, but thought this would be a good place given your question on weight reduction + stage 2. I didn’t notice much with the rear seats removed on stage 1(~100lbs), however, stage 2 with 93 octane map, big difference:

Blockquote

I almost got a record tonight all motor. A bit of a reach, but let me explain.

I’ll start by saying my tires are super cooked for any sort of launch. Car launches, RPMs shoot up to 8000+, spins like crazy, then bigs hard (4/32 tread left, Pirelli P-Zeros). Car is fine in other conditions.

My best 0-60 has been a 4.03 on heavy rotor wheels, last year at a DA of 1400, Stage 1 and 91 octane stage 1 tune. If I could match what JHM and Ben got for a 0-60, I believe I would have set a record tonight. I’m running the 93 tune now (which is much more aggressive than the 91) on Husky 94 octane and we’ve had really good DA, 400 tonight so almost at sea level.

My numbers, while not impressive, don’t tell the whole story. I just ran an 111.53mph @ 13 seconds flat (my highest trap yet) with a terrible 2.15second 60 foot and a TERRIBLE 5.02 0-60. Like, wow.

If I use Ben and JHMs conservative 3.75 0-60 (1.27 seconds faster than my run) that puts my time around 11.73 (not sure trap speed), with the full JHM setup, and no lightweight flywheel yet. Note, I do have my rear seats removed and lighter wheels on the 93 octane.

Eitherway, the car is an absolute rocket right now, the fastest it’s ever been. Pulls EXTREMELY hard in all gears, especially 2nd gear (throws me back into my seat), traction control light on all the time, crazy fishtails through corners. The 93 octane map is the real deal. So. Much. Torque.

Will be getting Michelin 4S tires in 2 weeks

Blockquote

Good to finally have you here BTW (buy the warranty). Pun intended
So yea, the lighter the car, the more the relative increase in power to weight on same model.

P.S it sucks. I get really excited if I ever see a DA below 4300 feet. :frowning:
Almost makes me want to drive down to Ape or J&M to install my upgrades. I see guys complaining that their da is 2000 feet. That’s a great problem to have imo.

1 Like

Just come visit us in Texas, and you’ll likely see a huge difference lol.

1 Like

The thought of putting over 3k miles in one trip makes me reconsider :joy:

1 Like

I did a 3,000 mile round trip last summer. Was fun as hell! I used to do a lot of road trips on sportbikes, similar distances. Let’s just say the RS5 is far more comfortable. I was actually less fatigued putting in high mile days in the RS5 than any other car I’ve ever owned. Hell, my FIRST trip in the RS5 was 900+ miles.

1 Like

But mine is a garage queen lol. Anyway, gas is super cheap now too. If I head there it will have to be for a Stage 2 tune, carbon clean, a 1/4 ET and possibly the RMR. I like to consolidate :joy:

1 Like

Found Amar had access to custom factory wheels so I ordered up one with:
Red stitching
245 CF running the direction of the door weave on top and bottom.
Air leather sides

I can’t say this was performance related as far as weight goes. The top cf is grippy as heck though. Love it!

Making me jealous! I cannot wait for mine to come in! I think I’m on week 4 or 5 and it’s killing me, especially in this climate! Lol

1 Like

Be careful when you disassemble your wheel for the trim and buttons/paddles. It was an expensive day after I destroyed one of the mini connectors on the paddle and cracked out the screw hole on the trim badge backing plate. I hate plastic.

Damn, seriously? Haha! I’ve disassembled and assembled 2 previous flat bottom wheels before and don’t think I’ve managed to come close on damaging connectors. The plastic black piano surround trim on the other hand is a different story. I’d wish they would have at least made the male connecting ends in metal to make it a little more easy, but that’s Audi. :sweat_smile:

Yeah, it happened in an instant. The multi-function buttons released from the wheel and there was only about 2" of slack in the wires. The pull resulted in about 2.5" of force. Connector cracked in 4 places and turned to dust instantly. I could not find the 10 cent connector anywhere so I had to buy another whole paddle. The trim ring came out really well but…I was following directions that had a murky order of operation. “Behind the badge is a screw. Remove it to replace.” I took it to mean pop the badge out to find a screw which holds the ring into the wheel. This was the wrong choice. Both issues were minor but would have bugged me. I replaced them.

How’s the Antigravity holding up? About ready to order one myself.

We’ll find out soon now won’t we Ape?

It’s amazing how far you need to go removing the interior just to remove the rear seatbelts.

Boy does it look clean though!

1 Like