Golf Thread

Haha Copa mundials, the Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla of the football world

http://cartasesfericas.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/adidas-copa-mundial.jpg

For the rare times I play golf, I just use my cricket shoes with plastic spikes - I always get asked where I got them from as they look (and are) so comfy.

haha, he is a fucking little douchebag…I fucking hate flat bill wearing fuckers…ESPECIALLY on the golf course. I like to match too, I just kinda knew calling you Rickie Fowler would get you going.

dude copas are like the Ferrari gto of the football world. Old classics that are still awesome and relevant.

Two friends who are cops had funny flatbiller stories.

The one guy on the force in mississauga (big city) , when he has to give some punk shit for being a moron, he likes to take their hat off and curve it.

Another guy collects them and hangs them on the wall at the station like deer heads.

I lold but I felt bad for the guys who lose their hats. Not so much for the ones who got curved :slight_smile:

Sak - I really like those Addidas spikes, even the ones that look like bowling shoes ;D

Light shoes are definitely the trend now. I buy every Kobe Bryant shoe that gets released, and each iteration gets lighter than the one before.

Any predictions for Merion? My hunch is that we’ll see a relatively unknown win this year. But among the usual suspects, I’d have to guess Rory, Phil, McDowell, Tiger, and D. Johnson. Of those, I think Tiger is least likely to win. His last performance doesn’t inspire confidence for this week…

Still, it would be great to see Tiger win, and I think my second choice would be Jason Dufner. I really like how he plays - no nonsense and very little emotion.

Us open predictions are impossible for me. It’s always a quirky tournament

What I can comfortably predict is that you guys will find the flags really, really weird. And that a relative not name will be leading after the first round.

After that, no idea. Because merion is kind of gettable for long hitters I reckon they will make it deep rough and tough. All this rain in the northeast has likely made that worse. So I think a short knocker will win.

dunno why but he reminds me of pigpen from peanuts.

Merion is stacking up nicely today. Lots of over-par scores. Probably mostly due to the rain - course may get easier over the weekend.

Late tee times today really got shafted - some of those guys may be playing 30+ holes tomorrow.

There were only 6 guys under par from the first wave. That’s nothing.

Afternoon/late guys got the better end of the draw. No wind, wet course. Perfect for going low. Playing 30 is no big deal for these guys. Being the second wave, they will be first out for second round, so probably play their final 6-12 holes of round one early tomorrow morning, then a short break to accommodate any remaining crossover… Then back out for the second round.

what does everyone think of those wicker baskets?

old school classy or snooty?

How could they be snooty? I can’t imagine a scenario where someone thinks they are snooty in any way.

I think they’re just different. I like that they stuck with them for 80 years, and I like that the USGA left them in place

Lee Westwood is probably not too happy with the wicker baskets.

He’s definitely not happy with the last swing he just made

p.s. only 5 guys under par through the first round.

I’m also pro basket. Classy for sure. Was just wondering if anyone felt differently.

So what happened to Westy? I’ll make a wild guess that his shot hit a basket and wound up greenside in kneedeep rough rather than 2 feet away from the hole

I always count at or below par for the US Open

This morning it was 15, now 11

Phil and Strick are in a good position going into the weekend. As for Rose and Donald - I think they’ll just choke again.

And Zach Johnson now joins the list of annual US Open complainers. I have no patience for that nonsense. Why complain? This is the fucking national championship for the USGA. It is, and always has been, a difficult tournament to win. So glad they ditched the graduated rough this year and are making these guys legitimately earn every birdie. I love seeing the winner around even par for the tournament.

I wonder what sort of clawback clauses are in Rory’s contract with Nike. Ie. if you bend one of your Nike clubs over your knee after jamming it into the ground on a live broadcast with a billion viewers…we’re taking back 5 million dollars.

God those Nike execs must want to murder that shite right about now…after the ride he’s given them thus far!

^^ He’s the second most important face for Nike golf - purposely damaging the equipment you represent, for the whole world to see, is insane. I agree that Nike execs are none too happy right now.

Hahahaha what did I miss?

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/6/16/4436018/rory-mcilroy-bends-club-2013-us-open