Golf Thread

And even after that pogo stick deal he bent it against his knee a bit more.

oh Phil, Phil, Phil

Threw away the 2012 Masters with his tee shot on 4

Got 'er done with his 2nd shot on 3 yesterday…nice that he didn’t make us wait as long

He threw away the tournament with the wedge on 15. The tournament didn’t really start till those final 5 holes.

On 15 Phil had a 54 in his hand from 121 and missed it 30 feet left…in the worst spot…then it ran another 20 feet further.

Then he bladed a chip from the green and made 5.

Then he missed a very makeable 9 footer on 16.

It was annoying. Just fucking win the US open already.

I’m done rooting for him. He just lets me down every time. I can’t believe he missed that birdie putt on 16 - in fact, he didn’t make a damn thing all day. Every putt seemed off. Nothing against Rose, but I was definitely pulling for Mickelson or Stricker. Frustrating.

Ah well - onto Muirfield. The Open Championship always rocks.

he does have 4 majors lol

the list of people with 4 or more majors in the last 25 years is pretty damn short

Tiger 14
Faldo 6
Phil 4
Ernie 4

After that you have a few guys with 3

Price 3
Vijay 3
Payne Stewart 3
Harrington 3

See how tough this is?

Ya that’s true - major victories are very hard to come by. Six runner-up finishes at the US Open is crazy - it might also be a record. I just hate it when the guy I’m pulling for doesn’t win!

Btw I didn’t realize Stewart won three majors until you posted that. Thought it was just the two US Opens. He was a class-act.

Phil’s 5 runner up finishes before this week was a record…6 just cements it lol

incredible really. I was wondering if anyone has finished 2nd in ANY tour event, ever…nevermind a major.

Jack finished 2nd at the CDN Open a whole bunch. Never won.

wasn’t it 7 times?

yes, I looked that up after I posted. Incredible.

That’s a great career today. That’s $5 million in earnings today lol

Surprised Jack never closed the deal at the Canadian Open. Is that tournament played only on one course, or does it rotate every year?

Edit: Nevermind - just looked it up. Not always on the same course, but it looks like Glen Abbey hosted it for a while.

Glen Abbey has hosted about 30 times of the last 50 years.

Tiger’s injured . . . again (left arm strain). He won’t be back until the Open Championship at Muirfield - so he’ll have to skip the AT&T, which he won last year.

Looks like the injury occurred at The Players.

Excited for Muirfield. So is Faldo. Lol

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/15/sir-nick-faldo-can-resist-another-shot-muirfield-british-open/aMKiMx0b7ycBHNz7k8w47J/story.html

But hey, I hope he proves everyone wrong.

he has turned into a bit of a grumpy old man, Faldo. I’m really not a fan of how he has been going after Tiger’s golf swing, and definitely not a fan of how he goes after Foley

Incidentally, Foley picked up another top player today. Lee Westwood is now added to his stable of horses, which already includes Justin Rose, Hunter Mahan and Tiger Woods.

Sak - what has he said about Foley? I must have missed that.

In general, I think he’s a decent commentator. But he’s certainly no Johnny Miller.

They all want to jump on Foley whenever possible.

At the Masters, Tiger was the out and out favourite coming in, having won 4 or 5 events in the last 12 months. They all said he was a shoe in.

Then he struggled, and Faldo and Chamblee were blaming Foley, and saying Tiger should really reconsider working with him because he is destroying his golf swing. At the same tournament they said that Justin Rose was way too mechanical and that Foley was bad for him because he fills his head with technical stuff. Well, a few weeks later Justin Rose was the class of the field and won the US Open.

These comments about Foley’s approach are absolutely not true…having spoken about the golf swing with Foley a lot, including him giving me things to work on when we were on the range together, he is the OPPOSITE of overly technical. He says not much, asks you questions, gives you a new way to think about the game, reminds you what your strengths are and helps you remove the self doubt, and shows you very few changes, only ones that are complimentary to you and how you swing it, rather than some robot text book swing.

Ironically, Faldo was the fucking WORST for being a technical robot. he was the most hated player on tour because he was

a) an asshole
b) boring as fuck
c) slow as fuck

That’s pretty awesome to have had access to Foley. I honestly don’t know much about him, but he sure seems to be building quite the portfolio for himself. I think any coach of Tiger’s will ultimately be subject to undue criticism, just given the amount of attention that he draws in the golfing world. That said, it is laughable that Faldo criticized Foley for being too mechanical/technical. That’s exactly how Faldo approached the game - and in fact it worked out in his favor (6 majors, dozens of professional wins).

I don’t think Tiger has a problem with focusing too much on the mechanics. His issue for the past several years has been the mental aspect and getting his confidence back. From what you said, it sounds like Foley is a perfect fit in that regard.

Confirmed - not much love for Nick Faldo when I was growing up. Much more love for Seve and Olly amongst my friends. And Woosey lol.

I was hoping for Justin Rose to build on his US Open win but alas not this Open.

Saki, you playing golf again yet, or still on hiatus from 2 years ago?

Have you tried the new Ecco? I put on a pair the other day and they were the most comfortable golf show’s I’ve ever put on. Ordered a pair, but not in yet.

I got the Addidas 360, but the adizero provides zero arch support. I almost felt unstable walking around in them. Loved how light they were, but wasn’t enjoying the fear of rolling an ankle.