Help needed..Want to hit the magic 800hp mark with SC

So as some of you know I have a stage 1+ Jhm SC RS4 but even though it’s not fully completed I still want to go that extra mile. JHM refuse to sell me a stage 2 built motor hence why I’m gonna build it myself however, I want to know what additional components ill need aside from rods and low comp pistons. I have a spare engine so that’s what ill do the build on thereby keeping the car running. Also I’ll be rebuilding the OA3 box with JHM performance kit.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Someone just sent me a link to this thread. I’m shocked to hear that about JHM. Myself and others just got our built motors from JHM and I know several other RS4 motors that are set to be delivered by JHM in the next few weeks. From there I know they intend on taking in the next round of motors to build up.

Not too sure on how long ago you asked. The gen 3 motors from JHM will be able to hold well into the range of what you’re looking for and to do that, they require several changes to key components and your reference of low comp pistons suggests you might already be going down the wrong path.

I’m not here to sell you a motor so, if you wish to continue down the motor building path you’re on fantastic. If you do wish to look further into a built JHM gen 3 let me know.

Hp wise you’re in good shape. I know JHM stopped testing with the current head unit at around 600whp with room to spare. Sadly, they never took it to the track in that trim but there is plenty of room to grow if you wish.

good evening as well!

I also tried speaking with JHM - Dru exactly 2-3 months ago during the installation of my 1+ kit and the answer was the same as iconic received…we dont sell that.

Countvohn is the guy you want to talk to about anything motor related he is the man.

As for the rest of it. Doing the transmission rebuild is a good idea do to the issues with the 3rd gear syncro.

I don’t remember from you build or not but you want to make sure you do the injectors injectors injectors. They are major player in a situation where you are making big hp. Fuel system wise keep it simple don’t over fuel the car and go with some pump that’s way over kill and you get stranded with a fuel system that is just a nightmare.

I’m not here to tell you your business and its great to have goals and I think from what we have seen and what we know about the blower unit that is on your car that the power goals are possible. But I would strongly suggest getting the car running and drive it for a while before you start stepping up and over building the car. You need to keep in mind that components like transmission drive shafts rear end can be over powered and become breaking points. And at some power levels the cars power delivery will start to lack the enjoyable nature that you might desire.

These guys have built Audi motors for a while maybe look them up
http://eurospecsport.com/products/engines/standard-8cyl-enginesCC.html

I posted this in another thread thought I would leave it here.

As for the motors from JHM. For a long time JHM was putting stage 1+ kits on S4s and RS4s while telling others that there was no options for sale with the stage 1+. I know JHM is the one company that will test test and test some more before they start taking money for something. I wouldn’t jump the gun just yet. If countvohn said he and others were getting built motors there might be something soon to come down the line.

I saw this thread yesterday but was not in a good position to comment until now so let me please touch on a few things.

1. Do you want 800 crank horsepower or wheel horsepower? May sound like a stupid question but I have to ask to be specific. If it is crank then you are not far off but if you want wheel then yes you need to do more work to achieve that number.

2. I know that JHM is building S4 engines but they want to make sure that everything is handled correctly. Currently all the people with built engines have had to send the car to JHM for them to install it and break it in properly. This is a really big investment on both JHM and the customer’s part so they want everything to be correct. There have been problems along the way so they are going to be very cautious. I don’t blame them at all for holding back. It should be a very similar situation with the built RS4 engines.

3. Lower compression pistons are a dumb idea. It used to be common for engine builders of cars like Hondas to put lower compression pistons in so that they could up the CFMs and boost pressure of a turbo to try to make more power. I have seen so many people over the years ask “was an engine built with boost in mind” and this is what they are asking about. A reason that they did this was because the intake air was getting so incredibly hot that the engine would knock/ping/detonate. However when running lower compression pistons they had to up the boost pressure so high to compensate for the lower compression that I personally thought that it was stupid. Also by running lower compression pistons, the engine has less to a lot less power when not in boost and kind of sucks to drive around town normally because the engine makes less power on its own until boost hits. This is a common problem for a lot of bigger than K04 turbo 1.8T and 2.7T guys since they make next to nothing power wise outside of when they are in boost. The OEMs have found out that you can get the same or better results from higher compression pistons, the correct CFM flow at lower boost pressure, and with better charge air cooling systems.

4. Think about this. A long time ago force inducted cars didn’t have intercoolers. Then air to air intercoolers came out to try to cool the 200+ degree F air from a turbo/SC off closer to ambient. Next air to water intercoolers came out and improved on that. Now by cooling the intercooler water we can get even better performance still with things like the Killer Chiller. Which I need to update you guys on.

5. In your other thread I saw that you mentioned Quintin and his single turbo B7 S4. I have kept up with his car ever since he started posting on here and the guy is naïve. Don’t get me wrong, he is really nice but he gets on power trips and I think that he leaves out half of the information when he posts about things. He knows just enough information to get himself into trouble and he has done that on multiple occasions. If you go through his old thread on Audizine then you will notice that when he ordered the pistons from Wossener that he was going to use RS4 connecting rods in his S4 engine. Well there are multiple problems with that. To name a few: the rods are shorter (S4/159 mm to RS4/154 mm center to center), the RS4 rods are narrower, and the rod bearings are thus narrower. When he blew up his S4 engine, he had both a S4 rod and RS4 rod sitting right next to each other when he ordered the pistons but didn’t bother to check if they were the same. Let me repeat that HE HAD BOTH A S4 AND RS4 ROD SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER WHEN HE ORDERED THE PISTONS BUT DIDN’T BOTHER TO CHECK IF THEY WERE THE SAME! I could go on but I feel like that makes my point for me.

6. You also have to be careful with certain people like Quintin too because he is trying to sell people stuff. He has become a seller of different things like Southbend clutches and other stuff like tunes from his tuner. I regularly see him post on Facebook for multiple vendors. Currently he is pushing the ECU tunes from his tuner and making a big deal about launch control and NLS/No-Lift Shifting.

Guys thanks for the advice so far. Living in the Middle East and being 1 of only 2(as far as I know) outside the us with a stage 1+ JHM have told me multiple times that I can’t go any further. I have a spare bns engine so that’s not an issue and I’m willing to sign a disclaimer with JHM for the built motor but they still refuse hence why I asked around for advice on building my own. Communicating with JHM isn’t the easiest when your 11/12 hours apart on opposite sides of the world. I love what they do.

I’m not interested in buying any parts he might be selling as generally I was always go back to dru and jake. I also have everything that you could buy for an rs4…well at least 99%.

Jimmy, thanks for the update on the KC. Has deleting that rad caused any issues? Higher temps?

Justin, thank you. :pray:

Again I’m here for advice and guidance.

This why this global community exists.

Bro I’d rather buy myself a built motor from JHM but they won’t sell me one. That was the last word I had from them. Perhaps it due to the fact I’m in dubai?? Don’t know.
I have a spare working rs4 engine that I can ship on a core exchange if need be. Everything else has been uprated in preparation for the motor swap.

Let me know how you can help. Cheers James.

Have now emailed dru and jake asking for them to sell me a built motor.

If I’m not mistaken, you would be 1 of 3… :wink:

if I were JHM I’d be a bit particular about the first built RS4 engines being 10,000 miles away. If they sell to a customer and there’s some problem, they can’t fix it. they can’t break it in, or enure the customer breaks it in right.

So if there’s a problem, invariably you end up with an angry customer and they can’t troubleshoot it. Then you end up with a customer on the internet saying JHM built motors are no good.

The 15th one? sure. Once they’ve established a number of cars and the product is known to work well, if a guy 10,000 miles away fucks up, big deal the market will know it was him, not the product. But not the first one. Or second or third.

You’re not going to fuck it up, but they ultimately have to protect their brand and assume that everyone is a dummy unfortunately (because there are lots of dummies out there)

…so there is still hope, and it makes sense the way you present it Saki…i am sure non of us 3 would be happy receiving an engine which has to go back in a few days/weeks time!

and back to Jimmy’s post further up…the target would be the 800 whp (or around) not the crank. For crank, for me, it definitely does not worth the amount of money investment (i can only imagine the cost) to get 100+ whp more (you could probably get close to this with meth/water addition)

the ROI (return on investment) must worth the added whp.

Haha I stand corrected. Thanks Rudi.

The reply:-

James,

Thank you for the email. I will look into this for you as I have not been instructed to start taking orders from customers on this platform. This is something we hope to be able to do soon though. I will pass your email on to Dan who may be able to shed more light on the program. Thank you for reaching out to us and the continued support! As soon as I know something I will be in immediate contact.

Dru

Saki,

I completely get the point hence why I’d happily sign a disclaimer.
Also I have 2 complete engines at this point.

I have a good relationship with JHM and have spent a fair chunk of change with them and no one else on parts.

I can’t imagine that a built motor once delivered is gonna be cheap, what with any options they offer. So I’m damn sure gonna take good care of it.

Personally I would have thought that someone outside the normal parameters aka living in dubai would be a good test bed.

Example:- Rudi is a great example of the RHD stage 1+ and so the feedback given has probably helped in some ways.

The platform is getting old and therefore needs to remain competent against newer cars.

Anyways let’s see how this develops.

Dan/Jake your welcome to chime in…

Where are you located? I’d like to know how countvohn has got one built. What’s the specs etc

countvohn helps JHM out. He’s not a customer.

Then why/how is he offering to help source a motor???

I am in Greece…no clue about the specs of the built engine. I am as curious and without a clue as you… As you I am also interested for one and I was getting in the process to find a 2nd motor.

because you’re complaining on line and he’s trying to help you. He wrote the tune on your car.

Maybe you’re confused. I explained that he’s not a customer because someone asked how he got a motor. He and customers aren’t receiving products on the same schedule. So that’s EXACTLY why he would have a built motor before you (or anyone).

Because he’s on the development team that creates the stuff we buy. That’s why. He also drove around in an RS4 with teh JHM tune back in 2009 before JHM and RS4 were even said in the same sentence and before this video came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhDcNObZLpo