Home Garage thread....door openers, lifts, storage, flooring etc.

nope, moved out of oakville. new place is great. Might build a new garage building for boat and stuff. I’ll hire your bobcat services.

Sweet, I’m trying to get my house built, I’ll be close to the lake now. Finally getting to build my garage, I’ll see you in that thread. Yours looks pretty roomy, except for that weird basement access.

the basement thing is great. It’s a finished 2400 square foot basement that is walk out level to the backyard, so its good to have easy access to it.

I looked at building a house but found a place that fit. Would still love to build my own house. I had a bunch of customization ideas.

i.e.

High ceilings everywhere including basement
Magnetic lights in closets/pantry (comes.on automatically when door opens)
Bedroom lights switch bedside to darken the room with one click
Outdoor lights switch bedside so you can light up all of your exterior lights in one click (security thing)
Pocket doors for laundry, pantry or walk in closets conserves space (no door radius needed)
Bedroom level laundry
2 dishwashers
Kitchen Lowers - use deep drawers instead of nightmare cabinets you can’t see/reach
Instead of a tiny towel closet, make it a walk in like a pantry. Then you can keep the vacuum there etc.
Water and electricity outlets on each side of the house
Kitchen lower drink fridge
Dimmers everywhere and in some rooms automatic lights (motion sensor)
Kitchen Cabinet for toaster microwave and coffee machine with a pocket door so you can expose them easily for use and then easily hide them
A drawer in the bathroom with an outlet in it for women’s appliances (hairdryer, curling iron etc) so they aren’t sitting on the counter
Small Outdoor handhold shower head and drain for cleaning dog and for cleaning muddy boots before coming in to the mudroom / this can also be in the garage

That’s great! I kinda lol’d at what I thought was a big hole in the slab for basement access stairs, thus my comment, now I see that it’s a massive mat. Access to the walkout basement is great. You have plenty of depth for a work area…but if you’re building a separate garage I’m assuming you’ll just concentrate on that.

I have the bobcat fort all the odd jobs - offloading and moving around big pallets, armor stone, sod, dirt, gravel, rough grading, etc. It’s ridiculously useful but I don’t really contract it out, it’s sorta one of the jobs I enjoy on site. If you want help with anything, let me know, just for fun, pay for gas and diesel.

Yeah I have some notes to add from my perspective and my build:

-High ceilings everywhere - Yeah we’re doing it, architect is insisting on 10’ main and 9’ second, personally I didn’t care about the second floor but I’m short. The third floor will be a guest suite so will have sloped walls and dormers, but hey, it’s a bonus area anyway.
-Door switches for all closet lights - we’ve been doing that in our builds, smart idea. We light up the closet rods underneath with LEDs, just cut a groove in the bottom of the dowel.
-Light switch locations - electrical code doesn’t exactly specify that the switch HAS to be beside the door, but with lighting automation you can do anything you want - multiple switches and all. Sounds like you are heading that route, C4 or lutron or whatever. Personally we are going to run CAT6 everywhere including the switches so we have the options, including running HDMI over ethernet to TVs.
-Pocket doors - If the house is well built they may not shift, but it’s always an issue. Getting the thickest steel track channels helps, but additionally we’ve framed them with LVLs instead of regular studs to ensure everything stays straight.
-Second level/bedroom level laundry - I wanted that, my wife doesn’t care and doesn’t want the noise, so it’s going in a separate closet off the mudroom, with room for folding, etc. Her problem :slight_smile:
-2 dishwashers is wicked. We have that up north. Again my wife doesn’t care, so it’s not high on the list of priorities, but I think for having 10+ people over several times a year, it’s perfect.
-Kitchen lower drawers only - never thought about this - great idea.
-Wine/drinks cooler fridge - that’s going in the pantry, along with the coffee maker, toaster, kettle and other small appliances. Hate the clutter.
-Dog shower - this is going in the mud room next to the lundry counter/sink. Fabulous idea.

The build is getting complicated without cutting down these massive 100-year old trees. Having the neighbours on my side is important with the trees and all, and getting my variances approved. It’s 100’ wide, and plans right now are for a separate 3-car garage about 32 wide by 24-26’ deep (all I can fit). I’m adding a second level to half of it for storage/future fun to the garage, and moving my lift over there for one of the bays.

I’ll post garage plans when I get a chance.

Maybe I’ll wait another year still. No rush.

How the new place? Still in Oakville?

nope, moved out of oakville. new place is great. Might build a new garage building for boat and stuff. I’ll hire your bobcat services.

You could gain a good amount of space if you ditch the massive landing and either:

1.) put the minimum required 3’ landing and stairs along the wall, or
2.) ditch the landing altogether and swap the door to push into the house, then just have stairs, which is generally allowed by code. Interior hinges are more secure anyway.

Anyhow, here’s my proposed garage right now:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/5d1b572f2f9af30f8fefe777a0aed58a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/3226a9fdca7dfc97e9cc8ee1d6eba92a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/dbf4cc19900a8953c2058a6d9ea4109b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/5de877c8933696875e9910a456884224.jpg

Looks great. Awesome to be able to pick everything. Like doors…I would like to redo all the doors inside the new house. But it’s a colossal job and a significant expense. If you look after it when building it’s light years easier.

Interesting idea about that stairway. It’s still 26 or 27 feet wide of garage space even with it there.

Our house has an actual dog shower in the basement right inside the door where that basement staircase goes.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/20161221_224350_zpszjbiezg5.jpg

Sweet, I’m trying to get my house built, I’ll be close to the lake now. Finally getting to build my garage, I’ll see you in that thread. Yours looks pretty roomy, except for that weird basement access.

the basement thing is great. It’s a finished 2400 square foot basement that is walk out level to the backyard, so its good to have easy access to it.

I looked at building a house but found a place that fit. Would still love to build my own house. I had a bunch of customization ideas.

i.e.

High ceilings everywhere including basement
Magnetic lights in closets/pantry (comes.on automatically when door opens)
Bedroom lights switch bedside to darken the room with one click
Outdoor lights switch bedside so you can light up all of your exterior lights in one click (security thing)
Pocket doors for laundry, pantry or walk in closets conserves space (no door radius needed)
Bedroom level laundry
2 dishwashers
Kitchen Lowers - use deep drawers instead of nightmare cabinets you can’t see/reach
Instead of a tiny towel closet, make it a walk in like a pantry. Then you can keep the vacuum there etc.
Water and electricity outlets on each side of the house
Kitchen lower drink fridge
Dimmers everywhere and in some rooms automatic lights (motion sensor)
Kitchen Cabinet for toaster microwave and coffee machine with a pocket door so you can expose them easily for use and then easily hide them
A drawer in the bathroom with an outlet in it for women’s appliances (hairdryer, curling iron etc) so they aren’t sitting on the counter
Small Outdoor handhold shower head and drain for cleaning dog and for cleaning muddy boots before coming in to the mudroom / this can also be in the garage

That’s great! I kinda lol’d at what I thought was a big hole in the slab for basement access stairs, thus my comment, now I see that it’s a massive mat. Access to the walkout basement is great. You have plenty of depth for a work area…but if you’re building a separate garage I’m assuming you’ll just concentrate on that.

I have the bobcat fort all the odd jobs - offloading and moving around big pallets, armor stone, sod, dirt, gravel, rough grading, etc. It’s ridiculously useful but I don’t really contract it out, it’s sorta one of the jobs I enjoy on site. If you want help with anything, let me know, just for fun, pay for gas and diesel.

Yeah I have some notes to add from my perspective and my build:

-High ceilings everywhere - Yeah we’re doing it, architect is insisting on 10’ main and 9’ second, personally I didn’t care about the second floor but I’m short. The third floor will be a guest suite so will have sloped walls and dormers, but hey, it’s a bonus area anyway.
-Door switches for all closet lights - we’ve been doing that in our builds, smart idea. We light up the closet rods underneath with LEDs, just cut a groove in the bottom of the dowel.
-Light switch locations - electrical code doesn’t exactly specify that the switch HAS to be beside the door, but with lighting automation you can do anything you want - multiple switches and all. Sounds like you are heading that route, C4 or lutron or whatever. Personally we are going to run CAT6 everywhere including the switches so we have the options, including running HDMI over ethernet to TVs.
-Pocket doors - If the house is well built they may not shift, but it’s always an issue. Getting the thickest steel track channels helps, but additionally we’ve framed them with LVLs instead of regular studs to ensure everything stays straight.
-Second level/bedroom level laundry - I wanted that, my wife doesn’t care and doesn’t want the noise, so it’s going in a separate closet off the mudroom, with room for folding, etc. Her problem :slight_smile:
-2 dishwashers is wicked. We have that up north. Again my wife doesn’t care, so it’s not high on the list of priorities, but I think for having 10+ people over several times a year, it’s perfect.
-Kitchen lower drawers only - never thought about this - great idea.
-Wine/drinks cooler fridge - that’s going in the pantry, along with the coffee maker, toaster, kettle and other small appliances. Hate the clutter.
-Dog shower - this is going in the mud room next to the lundry counter/sink. Fabulous idea.

The build is getting complicated without cutting down these massive 100-year old trees. Having the neighbours on my side is important with the trees and all, and getting my variances approved. It’s 100’ wide, and plans right now are for a separate 3-car garage about 32 wide by 24-26’ deep (all I can fit). I’m adding a second level to half of it for storage/future fun to the garage, and moving my lift over there for one of the bays.

I’ll post garage plans when I get a chance.

You could gain a good amount of space if you ditch the massive landing and either:

1.) put the minimum required 3’ landing and stairs along the wall, or
2.) ditch the landing altogether and swap the door to push into the house, then just have stairs, which is generally allowed by code. Interior hinges are more secure anyway.

Anyhow, here’s my proposed garage right now:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/5d1b572f2f9af30f8fefe777a0aed58a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/3226a9fdca7dfc97e9cc8ee1d6eba92a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/dbf4cc19900a8953c2058a6d9ea4109b.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161222/5de877c8933696875e9910a456884224.jpg

Looks great. Awesome to be able to pick everything. Like doors…I would like to redo all the doors inside the new house. But it’s a colossal job and a significant expense. If you look after it when building it’s light years easier.

Interesting idea about that stairway. It’s still 26 or 27 feet wide of garage space even with it there.

Our house has an actual dog shower in the basement right inside the door where that basement staircase goes.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/20161221_224350_zpszjbiezg5.jpg

Anyone else want to chime in with their garage floor options? Our new garage is about 700 square feet and I’m trying to come up with some kind of solution. Epoxy? Snap Tiles?

What say you AR?

edit: 1000 square feet. Not like the idea of something for $4/foot…

Anyone else want to chime in with their garage floor options? Our new garage is about 700 square feet and I’m trying to come up with some kind of solution. Epoxy? Snap Tiles?

What say you AR?

edit: 1000 square feet. Not like the idea of something for $4/foot…

I did epoxy in my house a few months after moving in. Had it done by a company this time, the house before i had done with the home depot kit and it was OK by not great.
For 5.50 a sq foot they came in and refinished the existing floor and put down the new stuff. they put down enough flakes that create a texture so its not slippery like they HD kits. IN the winter i connect a hose and use a mop to get all the winter salt and grime cleaned out. in the summer i have a power washer with the floor scrubber attachment. i foam gun the floor, hit it with a mop, powerwash, and then squeegie it and it looks like new. feel its a must have if you are working on cars and sliding around on the floor.
dont think the tiles you would able to get it that clean as stuff may fall in the cracks. ill add some pics from my phone

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/f11f9d408f6fb7c886563924834324e9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/f754fedbb14e863fefd3ccb1489f5885.jpg

I did epoxy in my house a few months after moving in. Had it done by a company this time, the house before i had done with the home depot kit and it was OK by not great.
For 5.50 a sq foot they came in and refinished the existing floor and put down the new stuff. they put down enough flakes that create a texture so its not slippery like they HD kits. IN the winter i connect a hose and use a mop to get all the winter salt and grime cleaned out. in the summer i have a power washer with the floor scrubber attachment. i foam gun the floor, hit it with a mop, powerwash, and then squeegie it and it looks like new. feel its a must have if you are working on cars and sliding around on the floor.
dont think the tiles you would able to get it that clean as stuff may fall in the cracks. ill add some pics from my phone

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/f11f9d408f6fb7c886563924834324e9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/f754fedbb14e863fefd3ccb1489f5885.jpg

looks awesome. Like the grey paint too.

Was thinking about maybe going porcelain tile, car dealer style. not sure what to do.

$5.50 a foot for my garage would be in the $6 grand range with tax.