Is it true that JHM project RS5 has started now?

Just to keep the thread up to date ;D

https://youtu.be/m3lc-TtW5JM

Great post ape.

Its nice to see JHM doing something this advanced. Looks like there is lots of excitement in the RS5 game. Its proving to be one of the most developed 4.2 platforms there is.

If you hand’t seen it, JHM officially released their exhaust. I have the AWE now and I’m torn on whether to swap it out without any dyno numbers. Cat-back exhausts never produce a ton of hp on the RS5 but there might be some benefit down the line with a supercharger.

https://jhmotorsports.com/products/engine-performance/exhaust-full-2-75-performance-exhaust-valved-downpipes-and-cat-back-for-jhm-b8-rs5-4-2l.html

JHM has done a soft release on their RS5 tune. I’m actually running it as of late last night. More info in the RS5 section of Audiworld.

I’m doing a bunch of dyno testing and am scheduled to test next Thursday for the JHM software. Already did a test for the Eventuri intake vs. OEM. But problems arose and I could not get a good rpm signal for the Dynojet software. So…looking at a more up to date or different dyno at the moment in the San Antonio/Austin area.

Any impressions of the tune yet? Would be curious on rs5 exhaust numbers as well. All the other jhm exhausts on NA cars make more power, but if the stock exhaust already flows pretty well then you might be right in terms of performance per dollar until you start talking supercharger.

I wish JHM R&D bringing products to the market would happen at a much faster rate

I have always been hot and cold on this. Its nice that JHM seems to take a long enough time to have little to no issues on release of most if not all parts. I always worried that if its faster to come it might not be right… Still things could come faster to a point LOL.

Also I heard that a RS5 JHM tune customer dyno’d his car and made 26whp.

That would make sense since most B6 4.2 S4s seem to make in the range of 30 to 35whp from the JHM tune.

That’s a good point regarding bringing a product to market too soon that may not be reliable, which JHM never does. Although I still feel the process could be sped up and beta product tests for enthusiast could be tested locally if they need more miles / time to ensure reliability

That’s solid from a N/A tune! I remember tuning my S4 with GIAC and it did absolutely nothing except quicken accelerator response time

That was my car that made 25 wheel hp. We’re actually testing on a different dynamometer on Monday so I can get an rpm signal and plot torque changes as well as hp changes. Bringing another RS5 to use as a baseline as we’re also testing the Eventuri intake. The OEM intake actually made 1-2 more hp peak than the Eventuri but we’re doing the test again just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. I have an Eventuri and so does the other car. I have a full OEM intake, including the front scoops, I can swap on in about 10 minutes. Testing two cars should finally put any questions to rest.

Here’s a few dyno plots. I tested on an extremely low-reading dynojet. I’ve tested other cars on it and I’m consistently 30-40hp lower on this dyno than any other. Monday’s test will be on a Mustang dyno.

The first is mine, the second plot is another RS5 that tested the Velocity tune vs. OEM and the JHM tune. It’s not “exact” as the dyno operator wouldn’t send me the files so I could do comparison charts. I have my own dynojet files. I had to size and correct distortion on the Mustang dyno plots then grab the curves and paste them into one dyno plot. But they’re pretty damn close and give you a good idea of how much more hp the JHM tune produces.

Stage two will basically be a TCU tune to reign in the torque nannies. Right now, apparently, the TCU is keeping things in check hp wise. More hp isn’t possible without the TCU tune.

No drag strip runs as it’s been either hotter than sin (100 degrees plus) or raining. It’s been raining non-stop for two weeks with no end in sight.

OEM vs. JHM Tune

https://s20.postimg.cc/9o4thnf9p/OEM_vs_JHM_Tune.jpg

Velocity Motorsports vs. OEM vs. JHM

https://s20.postimg.cc/p4fo7gnf1/All_runs_comparo.jpg

Video of my car on the dyno
https://youtu.be/D3cZhn8g_JM

I think we all want to say thank you for your time.

As mentioned your results are close to mine and others in the NA JHM team. I remember a few years ago the RS4s with exhaust mods made 37whp and close to the same in TQ.

Its always nice to see enthusiasts taking the time to do things right.

So far what is your impression of the tune…

I think all the usual hyperbole applies for the most part. The best way I can describe it is going from a 95 degree day to a 50 or 50 degree day and how much of a difference you feel in the hp department.

I daily drive my car so I’m fairly in tune with the way it feels in various conditions and I immediately noticed the difference in power at WOT. And as you can tell by the graph, there’s a noticeable increase in top end pull. But it generally feels more responsive across the board which is why I’m anxious to get a good look at the torque curve.

Drivability, once the car is warmed up, is perfect for the most part, just a bit of stuttering at very low rpm in 7th gear. I don’t encounter that often but if the transmission is in drive and you’re puttering along in top gear and try to accelerate, you’ll run into it. Cleared up by 2k rpm.

When the car is cold, it’s a bit snatchy and not as smooth as the OEM tune especially from a stop. I think there’s a bit of throttle hijacking going on where they’ve changed the accelerator pedal curve similar to what you can do with a Sprint booster and it’s most noticeable when the coolant/oil temps haven’t come up. I believe they’ll release an update which addresses the cold start parameters. It’s not horrible but could use a bit of improvement

But again, once near or at operating temperature, the car just feels “crisp” and snappy without loosing any refinement. And it just rips at WOT. Sounds good too, almost like they slotted a larger cam in it. I’m sure there’s a bit more overlap. It’s even more lopey at idle.

I haven’t noticed a huge hit in gas mileage although I’m averaging about 2mpg less overall per tank at the moment. But that comes down to exploring the newfound power. Frequently. I’m sure it’ll be close to what it was before once I settle down, LOL.

Once they figure out the transmission tuning, I’m expecting another 15-20hp. Maybe more with E85, who knows. Definitely the best bang for the buck in the RS5 power department right now.

Realizing the per cylinder hp improvements Audi achieves between the R8 V10 to the V10 plus, with just software and not having to take emissions into account, I think a 50hp jump total on the RS5 is a strong possibility. They’re also exploring headers and downpipes which should go nicely with their new exhaust.

Hoping to head to the local drag strip here soon. It’s been raining non-stop for a month which is a rare occurrence in S. Texas. It’s supposed to be rain-free next weekend and I may have a few hours Saturday night after work to hit the local drag strip for their test and tune night. I had to purchase a helmet which was a bitter pill as I stopped riding motorcycles recently and sold all of my helmets. Irony or Murphy. Maybe both.

Anyway, hoping to grab a low 12-second time slip if not an 11.90 something, knowing JHM had around a 12.1 on the Dragy app. Temps should be in the low 80’s, maybe even in the 70’s. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to the strip but I practically grew up there. The S-tronic makes it a bit less about the driver but I’ll do my best. I’d really like to see a nice bump over OEM to verify the dyno results. With that said, I had another dyno session which was a complete mess mostly due to the operator. Zero consistency is the short version of the story. Still trying to find a well-maintained dyno in my region. Can’t seem to find a Superflow AWD anywhere.

JHM is suggesting they’re working on headers for the RS5. No word on stage 2 tune just yet. Still very happy with the stage 1 tune once the car is warm. My gas mileage seems to have actually gone up too. Not flogging it enough? :wink:

Thanks for the update. The cooler weather is when the records start to fall so looking forward to your results.

A big tip to help. The RS5 has the same DSG as the S4 with the 3.0T. So they are prone to some of the same issues if you don’t have a DSG tune… To get a good time the S4 guys launch off LC and then quickly shift into manual mode. This stops the car from short shifting out of first gear. That’s the magic formula. As the cars all sort shift out of first and it kills the 1/4 mile times and makes it not consistant. The better the run the more likely it will be to short shift.

Good info. Looks like the weather will hold out for this Friday and Saturday. Hoping to hit the track Friday night. I’ll experiment with the transmission in different settings but I honestly would not have thought to launch with launch control and then knock the shifter over into manual before reaching second gear. We’ll see how that goes, LOL. I’ve only tried LC once and I’m not sure if it was successful although I did get pinned pretty hard to the back of the seat. Is LC not achievable in manual or do I have to be in “S”?

Awesome dyno results! I’ve always heard Audi’s intakes are properly done so aftermarket stuff rarely yields gains in hp …just losses in the bank$$$

My tune behaves very similar with cold starts until it warms up.

I will be looking forward to hearing your results, good luck

Yes its a bit of work but its been perfected by the B8 S4 guys who had all kinds of issues with that DSG. You can try foot breaking it hard while in manual mode to see how it reacts as that would save you some work but I don’t know if the LC or a hard footbreak stand will yield the same results.

The B8 guys found that a hard standing footbrake was as good as using LC. But they have a supercharger to help them off the line.

Good luck we will all be cheering for you.

Totally forgot to update this thread. I don’t get email notices when there’s a reply for some reason. I’ll check my prefs.

So basically it was a nightmare. The one mistake I made was actually racing the person in the next lane instead of just making sure I was engaging launch control correctly and letting it do it’s thing.

I went with a friend who has a Q50 Red Sport with mods. He put down 405hp/450ft lb. of torque to the wheels (2WD) on the same dyno. My first two runs were an abomination as I staged first, engaged LC and it took him too long to stage. So the ECU shut everything down and I left the line like I was leaving a stoplight with a cop right behind me. I had no control essentially even though the accelerator was floored.

Run two wasn’t much better. And the car was heat soaked. Both runs were low 13’s. Temps weren’t as cool as I thought they would be and were in the low 80’s. The track was also prepped with way too much VHT.

I popped the hood and let the car cool. I did two more runs, both 12.8’s. The last two were more successful. I simply staged, hit the brake hard and when the first light lit, I floored it engaging launch and I then released the brake. It really didn’t give the rpm enough time to stabilize but I was able to get a 1.8 60ft. both times. I feel like I should be in the 1.7 to 1.6 range though. Too much VHT and zero wheel spin. My traps were generally 110-111. The car does not like heat. Looking hard at whittling up a direct port water/meth system just to keep IAT’s down.

I’m about to do a full service above and beyond on the transmission and differential, as well as a carbon clean. I’ll head back to the track after. I’ll also just learn to race myself and not the guy in the next lane. I’ll stage, wait for the other lane to leave and then engage LC and go for the best time. I also completely forgot to try the flip to manual trick.

JHM has apparently pulled a few 11.9’s now (still apparently stage 1) but no one else has gotten close to that number. They’ve also bumped the rev limiter up to 8700rpm as an experiment, not sure if that’ll ever make it to “production”. The extra rpm might help with 1/4 mile 1st to second shifts though. Could be worth a few tenths.

FWIW, the Infiniti could only muster a 13.0 something that same night despite putting down more wheel hp on the dyno.

Thanks for the update Ape! Seems like pretty tough conditions with that Q50 struggling as well.

Huge difference between 12.8s and 11.9s, but we know that JHM are pros at the 1/4. Gives you a nice benchmark to chase after

Good luck!

I borrowed a Dragy from a friend and tried to find suitable roads to make some runs on. Found one that I thought would work 45 minutes south and I made one test run right after getting there and pulled a 12.6 pretty easily with a 1.9 60ft time. But there was a curve at the end that came up too quickly so I didn’t feel safe making more runs. But I think with a good launch a 12 flat is very much a real possibility. I’m sure my recent carbon clean helped too.

https://i.postimg.cc/rmJhR6jR/82-FDCD5-A-4784-4-C6-C-8-C52-F349-CC2-F5433.png