J-Spec Automotive has my car...

As I posted in the other thread:

[quote]Well! I got up to 960 miles before I can’t drive it anymore. I went to shift into third and the clutch just stayed on the floor. I lifted it up with my foot but as soon as I touch it, it just drops to the floor. Probably not a major issue but certainly inconvenient. I haven’t been stuck in the road since I was a kid. AAA is on the way.
[/quote]
AAA was either going to bring me and the car home (it broke down 1/4 mile away) or to the closest shop (4 miles away). That shop is J-Spec Automotive, owned by Jnaut. So I brought the car there and left him with the clutch issue to fix and remaining stuff to install. Since he works with JHM/CountVohn, the car will be completed there. Onward and upward…

BUILD INFORMATION:

The motor was rebuilt and blueprinted with the following parts purchased from 034 Motorsport:
ROD SET, IE V6 154 — 154MM X 21MM FORGED CONNECTING RODS, AUDI V6
ROD BEARING SET — AUDI V6 ROD BEARING SET, COATED
MAIN BEARING SET — COATED MAIN BEARING SET, GLYCO, AUDI V6
HEAD STUDS, 2.7T — HEAD STUD KIT, AUDI 2.7T RWE-1051
HEAD GASKET KIT — CYLINDER HEAD GASKET SET, 2.7T, Q2 REQUIRED – *** INCLUDES MLS HEAD GASKETS ***
PISTON SET, JE V6 — JE FORGED PISTON SET, 2.7T – 82.0MM BORE / – 86.4MM STROKE / – 9.0:1 COMPRESSION RATIO – TOOL-STEEL WRIST PINS
PISTON COATING — JE THERMAL BARRIER CROWN COATING, JE TUFF SKIRT COATING
2 x Motor Mount, Density Line, B5 (Street Density)
2 x Transmission Mount, Density Line, B5 (Street Density)

Stage 3 parts:

• 034 Motorsport Cold Air Intake X34F Fiberglass – MAF Housing: RS4 or 85mm
  • 034 Motorsport MAF hose for B5 RS4
  • 034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum Diverter Valves (Pair)
  • 034 Motorsport MAF Housing, Billet Aluminum for 2.7T Hitachi or Bosch, 85mm ID – MAF Element: Bosch – MAF Housing Adapter: None
  • 034 Motorsport Coil Conversion & ICM Delete Kit, 2.7T to 2.0T FSI Coils
  • 034 Motorsport Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe B5-RS4 Replica
  • JH Motorsport Lightweight Flywheel and Stage 3 Clutch Combo w B7 RS4 Pressure Plate
  • JH Motorsport Solid Short Throw Shifter, B5 S4, Early Style – Shifter Height: Normal – OEM Base for Pre 2000
  • JH Motorsport RS6-R Turbos
  • JH Motorsport Two Piece Lightweight Slotted Rotors
  • Techtonics Exhaust – Cat-Back – JHM Stainless Steel True Dual 2.5 inch System – Downpipe Connection: Dual 2.5″
  • Evolution Racewerks Side Mount Intercooler Kit w/o shrouds
  • Coolant Sensor (Updated Green)
  • Bosch 044 Motorsport Drop In Fuel Pump
  • APR Bi-Pipes
  • Devil’s Own Methanol Injection System with 50/50 water mix
  • Bosch EB 630cc 14 fuel injectors
  • NGK V-Power spark plugs
  • AR Design 3” Downpipes
  • AP Racing 6600 Front Big Brake Kit
  • New Turbo Inlet Hoses
  • New Head Studs and Gaskets
  • New Primary Oxygen Sensors
  • New Clutch Fan and Fan Blade
  • All new Coolant Reservoir Hoses, Reservoir Tank and Cap
  • New Dunlop Sport Z1 Tires 225/45R17

Note from Velocity Factor (original installer):
Key notes: Calibration of the ECU for large MAF housing without grids and the fact that the engine has a larger bore and different compression. The bore is .020 and the compression is 9.0 to 1

Other notes:
The intake manifold was glass beaded; new runners were opened up a little and ported.
Re-done Cylinder heads with new Valve Guides, Seals and Lifters.

Every cloud and all that… good luck although shouldn’t velocity be involved in case of installer error?

Thank you. I think Jason will take a good look at things and let me know if anything appears to be done wrong. As for the current issue, it’s an old part with just over 100,000 miles on it. It was bound to go.

I confused by your statement “it’s an old part” do you mean the slave cylinder failed as I assume that you have a recently replaced and healthy clutch.

Regardless of the issue, I would be contacting V Factor and keeping them updated, they had there hands all over your build and should be notified if anything is an issue for at least the first couple thousand miles

Yes, Velocity Factor knows. They said that new strong high performance clutches tend to take a toll on older hydraulic systems. In this case the slave and clutch master cylinder are original and 12 years old. The right way to fix this issue is to replace both then bleed the brakes as well because they share the same reservoir.

Why wouldn’t you have replaced the slave while you were doing the initial build, it is a $40 item, small potatoes inside of a 15-20K build, but a real PITA to do after the fact.

Oh well, live and learn I guess

Me, personally, I just didn’t know. I’ve never built up a car myself. I suppose Velocity Factor should have done it but I really don’t blame them for not thinking of everything. I’m sure the next time they do a build like mine, they’ll remember this and suggest replacement beforehand.

I agree…fail on VF in my opinion, anyone who want their customers to have a successful build would have at least asked if you have ever replaced it and then said you may as well swap it out now considering the cost of your build. I’m sure Jnaut will set you straight.

J-Spec took care of my fuel injectors, clutch slave, new spark plugs and coil conversion yesterday. Not sure if they did anything today but I’ll write back with the next update I get from them. Onward and upward!

are they a JHM dealer? Might make getting your tune updated a bit easier.

Yes.

Okay, so it looks like J-Spec will be mounting/installing the Devil’s Own Methanol Kit with 2.5 gallon tank on Monday. After that, the fuel pump and wide band will be installed. I think everything might be finished this week - including tune. Jason didn’t mention the 034 intake with 90mm MAF housing or the 034 Carbon Fiber Y-Pipe but I’m guessing those aren’t very time consuming items to install. Stuff is moving along very quickly at this point.

Since things are moving along so nicely and I should have my car running by the weekend… I’m wondering if there will be any issue with me posting dyno information and, when I get to the track, those results. The reason I’m asking is because it seems weird that no one has to this point posted this information and wouldn’t make any sense for ME to be the first one. Is there any reason there is no known information yet? Is everyone waiting to get their tune perfected? Like I said it just seems weird that I could be the first to post this stuff. A little Twilight Zoney…

I told you j-Spec would do you well.

Hunter and a few others have gotten to the track. I don’t know why the others haven’t said anything yet as they have done quite well.

This isn’t like other websites. Share whatever information you wish. You don’t owe anyone anything. You’re not going to get attacked if you do or don’t share. Take your time, get the car sorted out and broken in. Then worry about getting to the dyno and track.

Happy to hear he got it sorted for you. Its always nice when a recommended shop turns out to be as good as expected

Sent from somewhere other than my home or office

I think you just need to read more lol. This was from early October.

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=1085.msg27465#msg27465

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/sakimano/2012-11-22153518-1-1.jpg

Yes, they ARE doing really well. Not wasting any time at all. If it weren’t Thanksgiving week, they’d have probably been finished last week.

I hear ya on the track testing - the setup has already been proven. I’m just curious to see how well a car with my specific build can do. I’m still likely doing heads, cams, maybe an E85 conversion and friend has been recommending nitrous - but I doubt I’ll go that far.

I totally forgot about that. :o Still surprised that he’s been the only one. I’ll post what my car does whether it’s better or worse than expected. I really want to know what the car can do with 600hp at the crank.

shouldn’t be surprising. B5 guys have created a culture of quarter mile fear in order to insulate themselves from the reality the test slaps them in the face with. Doesn’t matter what parts they have, for the most part, B5 guys are terriried of the dragstrip.

I administer the quarter mile list here, and I have added I think 4 different B5 S4 times in the past 6 months. I have added about 30 B8 S4 times in that period, for perspective. I have added a good dozen RS4 times, and another dozen B6/7 S4 times.

B5 guys have a scorching case of 1/4mileitis…

The main reason b5 guys don’t go to the track is because, after their cars are modified to atleast the same power that a s4,or rs4, they are advised to break in the clutch, or break in the engine by the tuner. Most ofvthe time while doing this, something breaks, or they realize that the tune has flaw that are too major for them to take the car to the track. They are not afraid.

It is not like owning a NA car, when all you have to do is just bolt on some parts and get a tune that you already know performs well. Saki, if their was only two, or three tunes for b5 guys and one Turbo setup things would be much different.