JCviggen's misano B7 RS4 - work in progress

I’m not sure, but the previous owner also sold it after 2 weeks because he couldn’t stand it, so I don’t think it has really changed length at any point.

Adding a dead-end pipe of the appropriate length to cancel out the offending frequency seems to be the best bet, but I’m not sure we can get away with the length required. Adding another resonator, as was suggested earlier, could also be a solution but again need to find a good spot for it.

PS: Thanks for the PM, unfortunately due to the sheer genius of this forum I am not “allowed to read it”. Though I can read it in the notification email. Replying is obviously out. Because logic.

would love to hear this exhaust.

I’ve been in several JHM exahust cars including about 60,000 kms in my own. Drone is really a non-issue.

My B7 S4 however drone was unbearable and I fucking hated it.

Weirdly drone is not actually volume. Outside the car, the ‘drone zone’ sounds exactly the same as the 500 RPMs before and after it, volume wise. it’s just inside .

And I’d like to hear another JHM to compare to. Pesky distances. >:(

Mine has to be different somehow because I can’t imagine hearing standards could vary sufficiently to account for the massive difference in perception. The drone is bad enough to make you very aware of the existence and workings of your eardrums, if you stay in the drone zone for a few seconds.

I do remember a situation in which the exhaust is pretty much drone free: after cold starting at -10C and driving off, it takes a few minute to warm up and start droning. While stone cold, for a few brief (but glorious) moments the exhaust is totally fine. On the opposite end of the scale, the worst I ever heard it was when I pulled off the Nurburgring after 2 laps, and that was with a helmet on my head ;D

Hi JCViggen…I used to be a Volvo guy ( T5-R and R ) so I remember you from the Volvo forums . I guess we both migrated to Audi’s eventually owning both Rs6 and Rs4’s . I’m still amazed that your T5-R almost went flat 8 at the Nordschliefe ! and I also just saw your Misano on Boris’ Youtube video…very cool indeed ! you know the Ring quite well man . Props ! I’m planning on being there mid Spring for a few laps.

Do you by any chance remember a guy named Florian ? he had a green 850 T5-R estate, 5spd, caged, very fast around a track as well ?

Cheers !

Mike

who makes that flywheel?

also, i had the implausible flap signal code for the longest time on my car. ended up being the intake manifold flap solenoids. cheap fix at something like $90 for the replacement solenoid.

Hi Mike!

Yes I do miss the old T-5R, should have held on to it, but it wasn’t convenient.

I do know Florian, in fact he’s a good friend of mine. He is also the one who currently owns the shell of my old T-5R and its engine! He is still rebuilding it, maybe this will be the year that it is finally ready. It has some of the components of his old 855, but with a new DMSB approved roll cage and the car has been stripped as bare as it could get and re-painted from scratch. Last time I saw it, it was white. Wiring is in the final stages, it now has a GTX3071R turbo and a Link ECU.

Small world :slight_smile:

TTV racing in the UK. If you go to ebay.co.uk and search for RS4 flywheel it’ll pop up. I dealt with them directly and saved a bit of money in the process.

Are the solenoids easily accessed? I’m thinking of getting the JHM tune option to delete the manifold flaps, apparently they should keep working just fine but gets rid of the codes. Down the line I could then remove them altogether.

Would be a good opportunity to ask them if they could please delete the launch control feature from my map, too, as it’s not compatible with my car and preventing any kind of brisk take-off from first gear.

Drove the car to the Swiss/French alps after New Year, amazing fun on these snowy roads. Awesome car for this kind of thing.

http://www.greenringer.net/various/courchevel.jpg

http://www.greenringer.net/various/courchevel2.jpg

http://www.greenringer.net/various/mountain.jpg

Great pics. The car looks great .

In Belgium before flying back, I used the opportunity of some reasonably long and empty roads to do some performance testing. The JHM map isn’t allowing for a manual launch without the LA cutting in so I had to do a slow start, and winter tires aren’t ideal for rolling resistance but the results were pretty good anyway.

-10 Hz GPS log-
0-60 MPH 5.56s (ouch)
1/4 mile 13.0s at 112.7 (114.8 over the imaginary line)

Screenshots in the video https://youtu.be/zO8biGk-XXI

Here’s another test I “accidentally” did…not even realizing I exceeded my winter tires’ maximum speed rating by 7 or 8 MPH for a few seconds.

http://www.greenringer.net/various/150.jpg

Any idea how decent this 100-150 is? Hard to find any cars to compare to. Felt pretty brisk above 120.

Nice video good shifts. The car looked very strong sounded great

No idea I don’t know anyone who has tested 100-150

You can manually launch the car. Launching from an rpm that is above the launch assist trigger doesn’t really help anyway. You’re best launching from mid to high 3000s in my experience. 3700-3800 rpm, no slip just drop it.

I’ve done that a number of times. Stock clutch. Now at 148,000 kms.

Slipping it is where people roast their clutch. Same goes for changing gears, if you slip it on shifts you have problems.

Launch like you shifted and you’ll be fine.

That brought me 1.7-1.8 60 foot times.

A friend with your modlist routinely had mid to low 1.7 60 foot times.

A 1.7 60 foot time in that first video would mean a 12.2@112 1/4 mile time. Of course you also went 20 feet downhill so don’t garner too much from that in comparison to times at flat dragstrips.

Yes I can, but even if I launch it at 3000RPM the LC will cut in after the actual launch when I get to 5500 in 1st gear. It will stay there for half a second or so and then it continues. This happens on any kind of quick-ish launch, the only way to avoid it is go really slow like in the video.

I don’t need JHM to troubleshoot it, I’m fine if they just remove the LA from the tune when I flash to one that removes the SAI and intake flaps.

If you pause the YT video the vboxverify shot of the 1/4 mile run is there - the road for that run was flat until about 100 MPH and then sloped off a few feet for a total decline of -0.37%. Not going to make a real difference.

A friend of mine (the daytona B7 I posted a picture of) fitted a new engine to his MRC tuned RS4 and did 100-200 km/h in 9.2 seconds on his Pbox at 2 degrees C and 0.2 slope. Best I could manage was about 9.8 seconds but on winter tires. I could see 9.5 being possible had I still been on summer tires like him, but to catch up I’d probably need to get a carbon clean.

I did find a few 100-150 times:

Z4M : 21.5s, (C&D, June’06), 330HP, 3300lb

2009 GT-R : 16.2s, (C&D, Aug’08), 480HP, 3900lb

2011 GT500 :14.5s, (C&D, Aug’10), 550HP, 3800lb

C6 LS3 Z51 : 14.3s, (C&D, Sep’07), 436HP, 3300lb

E63 AMG : 13.9s, (C&D, Dec’09), 518HP, 4200lb

Jaguar XFR : 13.4s, (C&D, Dec’09), 510HP, 4400lb

2012 Carrera S:13.1s, (C&D, Feb 2012), 400HP, 3265lb

E60 M5 6spd manual : 13.1s, (C&D, Feb’07), 500HP, 4200lb

CTS-V : 12.8s, (C&D, Dec’09), 556HP, 4300lb

Panamera Turbo : 12.2s, (C&D, Apr’10), 500HP, 4300lb

E60 M5 SMG : 11.3s, (C&D, Jan '06), 500HP, 4200lb

2013 GT-R: 10.6s, (C&D, Feb 2012), 545HP, 3907lb

The stock e60 smg is such a highway monster considering the weight. That gearing and the v10 is still rather impressive especially when compared to the 6 speed!

CountVohn, thank you for the PM, unfortunately the board doesn’t give me access to it.

I’ll be hitting up JHM for the revised tune a short time before I’ll use the car again, which will be early May for a trackday :slight_smile:

weird, I’ve never heard of that. It was designed to only kick in wiht that 5500 RPM trigger from a stop so that you could still launch it manually if you wanted (anyone who wants to launch above 5500 RPM might be a little bit crazy)

as for MRC tuned RS4s, race him head to head. You’ll trounce him. I can’t explain the data re: him being supposedly faster, but my experience with MRC all motor RS4s is they’re just frankly not that fast. 100-150 or 62-124 testing is predominantly high RPM testing so I can see how a carbon clean would help. Reality though is that the area where carbon actually hurts is an area where we don’t spend much time in our typical acceleration efforts.

if everyone gives JCViggen positive member rating he’ll be above zero and able to access PMs. I just did. Lots of good info in the thread that is worth it

+1 here

Shifting and engine superb 🖒♭

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’m starting to find out that having the RS4 in Europe isn’t as straight forward as I thought it would be. Whenever I fly in, I kind of want to use it. That means if there is a problem or maintenance needs to be done the only opportune time is while I am away. The paperwork required to legally let my father drive a car on Russian plates in Belgium is a right old hassle. Then it needs to be stored in a garage of some relatives but they live an hour’s drive away, and my mother isn’t a big fan of driving on the highway (she’d need to drive the other car that will get them both back home)

The car is quite all right on the whole now, only the intermittent implausible signal from the flap position sensor on bank 1. But I’ve booked another Nurburgring trackday for May 2nd, 600 bucks worth, and I won’t get back to Belgium until 2 days before. I intend to flash the car with a new JHM map, and hope it works because if any issue there isn’t much time to revive the car in time. I’m not 100 percent on whether my brake pads have enough left either. All bloody annoying things to think about while I’m 2000 miles away.

On May 1st (a bank holiday in much of Europe) I’ll have to find someone to change the oil and filter, flash the new map in, do a brake fuild flush, possibly a set of pads, get the Michelin Cup tires on again and get to the Ring by 6 PM for registration and safety briefing. I guess it worked out last year, by the skin of my teeth, but the next one isn’t looking to be any easier.

Nice time 100-200 km I know some guys over here that are low to mid 9 , they go toe to toe with flashed c63 amg …