JHM RS5 Headers - First set

I’ve just got the OEM exhaust with AWE resonated downpipes. I think with the headers going non-resonated would be too loud. The AWE downpipes have been sitting in the garage for almost two years waiting for this project. Car originally only had an x-pipe welded in real sloppy. May pick up another x-pipe.

Yes, I wonder if JHM will make a set of ‘resonated’ downpipes to keep the rasp down. I guess we’ll see how loud this is going to be, I’m hoping it doesn’t sound like ass. I find decatted cars kinda all sound the same, but the JHM muffler and center section keeps the tone pretty bassy.

I want to stick with 2.75" all the way through (including DP’s) I believe AWE’s are 2.5"

This is my conundrum as well…If I don’t go with high flow cats further down I’ll most likely have resonators welded in, big ones, if I can find them in 2.75". Maybe even a mid muffler to replace the two smaller resonators.

I’ll wait to see if Mark and/or Andrew find the fumes unbearable. Good to have a canary in a cage! :rofl:

Hey boys, the car is booked in for tomorrow. Should be 2-3 weeks (but I bet at least a month)

Please subscribe to me on YouTube for the RS5 Journey: https://tinyurl.com/PhantomBlackRS5

I’ve just put 2 x 2.75 inch resonator’s in on my catless set up and its made a huge difference in fact its made it quieter than its ever been even when the cats were in place !! :blush:

Interesting! Where’d you get the resonators from? I may want to add these sooner than later.

Hey Steve!

You just told me it wasn’t TOO loud lol!

I’m booked in today. Where did you put the resonators? Looks like just after the downpipes?

Where’s you grab those?

Hi guys,

My mechanic got the resonators for me from a company he uses. Ill have to ask him again who they were, he did tell me but I’ve forgot as it was a good few weeks ago i asked and my brains like a goldfish lol.

As for the exhauast not being to loud it wasn’t to loud for me personally it was more the resignation i was getting in a high gear at low speeds as you touched the throttle, it was not all the time but i did get it ! Also mine had no other silencers all the way from headers to rear silencers just straight pipe.
I believe the JHM exhaust has that extra silencer that mine did not have so yours should be quieter than mine was originally.
I did not expect the resonator’s to make such a big difference to be honest sound wise but they have done and that has made the exhaust the quietest its ever been to my surprise !!

I have put the resonator’s in just after the xpipe as we thought this would be the best place and i think it was the right choice as they have worked a treat performance wise and to my surprise sound wise maybe a bit to well but ill get used to it :blush:

Hey Steve, actually, yes you’re right!

JHM has a set of silencers right after the X-Pipe.

Do you still have rear mufflers? Did you manage to get any audio clips??

Hey buddy,
Yes i still have rear muffler’s. I thought you had the extra silencer’s on the JHM exhaust.

No audio clip yet I’m afraid as soon as i do ill let you know !

The company for the 70mm resonator’s is called turbozentrum.co.uk they do a 420mm length and a 250mm length.

They also do Setrab oil coolers and loads of fixings and hoses and conectors that might be useful for @Ape_Factory
Ask for a catalog as they do loads more parts than whats on there website and if you still want something phone them as they normally can get it :blush::+1:

I found exactly the same when I installed the AWE resonated downpipes to my Capristo system, it really muted the tone down, even in fully aggressive mode it’s very reserved now.
I’m having the AWE resonators adjusted at the moment, they sit far too low and catch on speed humps, etc so a bit of cutting and adjusting should lift them up enough to prevent that.

James, check your email, I found another expat and RS5 owner in Dubai! He may be signing up here.

Anyway, looks like Borla makes two resonators which “may” work for me.

James, on the resonated downpipes, did it change the octave of the exhaust? One of my worries is if I add them, I won’t have as deep a tone with the JHM exhaust. It’s one of the things I love about it and the largest difference between it and the AWE which was a “higher” note so to speak.

Speaking with the boys at JHM, yes I’ve got a set of resonators near the x-pipe, so we’ll see how she sounds and go from there. They said they can probably help with ideas with something in the X pipe section, but with an all motor car, putting anything in the exhaust to restrict flow may defeat the point of doing the headers for the gains.

I have the AWE resonated downpipes. My plan is to install an X-pipe at the bottom of the downpipes and then put the AWE resonators right after that. The X-pipe piece is about 12" (30.5cm) long. Then run back to the OEM mufflers for now to see how it sounds.

That’s exactly how I’ve got mine now xpipe at the end of the DP and then the resonator’s then straight to the rear Miltek mufflers it nice inside the cabin but still deep and loud outside best of both !!

Wouldn’t the resonators negate some of the benefits from going catless in the first place? Honest question?

Also, here’s the progress on the RS5 (who will have the fastest all motor RS5 first … Mark, Steve or me … stay tuned!)

1 Like

Cats are very restrictive compared to Resonators which for the most part is a flow through device with sound absorbing features (sometimes Synthetic material surrounding the flow through tube which is usually a perforated pipe. Resonators don’t cut flow or sound very much. They mostly tune the sound. Mufflers divert and cool the exhaust flow which causes a larger reduction in sound but also a larger flow restriction, still not as much as a Catalytic converter.
Also, Catalytic converters so close to the head can have negative affects on the engine by increasing exhaust EGT’s. It’s better for emmissions but not neccessarily good for the engine.

2 Likes

Glad you answered that question as i was thinking the same that resonator’s shouldn’t reduce performance not as much as mufflers anyway and defo not as much as the Cat’s.

I have not personally noticed any difference in the performance of my car after fitting the resonators as far as i can tell !

Good to know, thanks Mark!

Yes if the sound is too much, I can probably buy another set of JHM silencers, identical to the ones already on my car, and put near X-Pipe.

Did you or Steve have any resonators or silencers other than the rear mufflers on your setups?

I believe Steve said his was straight through from catless to rear mufflers, so was probably quite loud.

That’s correct mine was straight through from catless to rear mufflers it was loud but not as bad as what you think. Now with the resonators in its sounds great. I really dont think you will have an issue with your set up as you already have that extra silencer ! :blush::+1:

1 Like