JHM RS5 Headers - First set

Did you have any fitment issues? JHM said it should be fine. Did you have to dent or bend anything for fitment?

No fitment issues. On the head everything is the same since that portion is unchanged and for the collector/Cat replacement section they still used the stock downpipe brackets on the transmission and my new AWE downpipes bolted up with no issues. The headers, whether stock or modified are a pain to get all of the nuts on the studs with the little wedge brackets that Audi uses. The right side is the tougher one just because some clearances are a little tighter.

Thank you! Have you fired it up yet?

Iā€™m so curious about the sound! 3 weeks and countingā€¦

Havenā€™t fire it up yet. Posted elsewhere but Iā€™m finishing up on rebuilding the front suspension so I can get the wheels on. Then I have to roll it onto my trailer and get it to a Audi dealer as they have to VIN code the new transmission as Iā€™m getting an immobilizer fault so the car wonā€™t start. I guess they have to get online with Audi in Germany to code it correctly. Hopefully get an appointment in the next 2 weeks but they donā€™t have the best customer service. Took another car there for coding service early last year, figured it was at the most a couple hour job and it took them a week to get it done. Why bother making an appointment if they donā€™t start work on it when your time is set??

Typical dealer! Why do the Germans have to make it sooo damn complicated.

Figuring out how Iā€™m going to sneak a lift into the garage and explain to the wife why my car is in the air and engine is on the ground. It wonā€™t be a fun conversation.

1 Like

Ok keep us posted!

I guess mine will sound different, as does Steveā€™s since we all have various exhausts. Mine will be a true, full JHM system.

JHM got my OEM manifolds today, so should be about a week, then shipping, then Audi will put everything back together. Iā€™m having them do the transmission fluid while theyā€™re at it, plus some new bolts and gaskets. Car should be minty fresh!

Iā€™m hoping I donā€™t run into the LWCP misfires, and just need the new catless Stage 2 file, as its -30 here and car will be parked until spring, Ā± another 1.5mths.

1 Like

Ok, decide to start the car and no start. Get an error (VCDS of Starter failure or system fault). ElsaWin wiring diagram and check the power to the Solenoid (you canā€™t get to the Solenoid itself) and there is power when the Start button is pushed. Shit, gonna have to pull the transmission to get to the starter. Well, I pull the steering rack and get a long screwdriver onto the Solenoid plug and it is loose, a piece of the little locking tab (brittle drops into my hand). I set the screwdriver with pressure onto the plug and wire it in place and go hit the starter button and she fired up in less than 2 seconds of cranking. This 26k motor last ran when the car it came from wrecked in early 2018, 3yrs ago. I did scope and prelube the cylinders and cranked the motor over when it was out of the car enough to get oil pressure to the valvetrain. I was suprised. I brought the wife out to video another start and idle, only JHM headers and the AWE resonators, not muffllers on the car. Raspy at start up but surprisingly civil at idle. Is there anyway to upload a 5MB video on here?

1 Like

BEAT me to it by 7 days LOL!

That sounds really good, nice and deep - congrats!

Edit - Just re-watched. Are the resonators in the AWE downpipes, or the mid section?

I am unsure what mine will sound like with the full JHM setup as they only have 2 small resonators in the mid-section, and then of course the rear mufflers. Would you consider the JHM downpipes? I guess your 2.75" headers are going down to the AWE 2.5" setup.

I thought it was going to sound more like the RS4, a little higher pitched (like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBTJ0TpJ9qq/)

The Resonators are a slip fit onto the bottome of the AWE Downpipes, they Downpipes and Resonators are AWE. Iā€™ll have to see if I can move the Resonators back a little in order to install and X-pipe at the bottom of the downpipes and before the Resonator. Planning on using this one.

Looks like a seam but they are seamless, what looks like a line/seam is just a reflection.

Makes sense. JHM has an xpipe right at the end of the downpipes, then right after that, 2 small resonators, then all the way back to the valved mufflers.

Any chance you can take more clips. Do you have a decibel reader on your phone? Iā€™m curious if it hits 115dbs on cold start.

Thanks for posting!

Iā€™ll give it a try tomorrow. Just downloaded Decibel X, was pretty highly rated. I need to start it and finish filling the DSG with fluid so Iā€™ll Cold test it then and report back tomorrow.

It sounds like the seals are all new in the engine. Great sound nothing raspy, congratulations! :+1:

I have been using decibel x a few times, but only as loud as about 95 decibel for measuring noise from resonating leaf blowers across the street :smiley:

Much appreciated!

Would love to see a cold start, imagine itā€™s going to be quite loud.

So on a Cold start from the drivers seat with the door open it hits 100~105 decibels for almost 5 seconds then settles down to about 85 deciblels for another 20 seconds until it kicks off the cold start SAI cycle. Then at idle it settles down to about 80 decibles. I can only get it up to about 2000rpm where it hits about 95 decibles. I canā€™t increase the RPM anymore as the car is in a safe mode due to the transmission being locked because of the immobilizer that I will need to get the dealer to VIN code. Plan to get an appointment with them next week if they are available.

Thanks for the information and for checking!

Iā€™d be curious what it would show outside the car on cold start.

Did you happen to capture a video of the cold start? My headers arrive today, they were struck in Memphis for 5 days because of the snowstorm.

1 Like

Congrats @hahnmgh63 on getting it up and running it sounds beautiful you have done a lot of hard work there so well done you :+1::blush:

Also very nice @BuyTheWarranty they look ace i bet your getting very excited now as your beast will soon be up and running or should i say up and flying !!! :blush::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you sir!

Smooth sailing so far, car should be done in 7 days. Just hoping thereā€™s no tuning issues, and that all gets sorted!

1 Like

VALVES open footage to come.

Decibel level with valves closed is close to valves OPEN before. About 15% more rasp, but the JHM silencers on the catback REALLY help.

Nice! Mine look the same but where home made

2 Likes