Just your average Supercharged B6 RS4 build thread...

Hi Guys,(and Girls)
I’m James and as you can see I’m new to this forum although have been on AZ for years. Live here in the sandpit aka Dubai(I’m a Brit) where the cars are cheap although the parts are not and knowledge is lacking! I’m looking forward to my time on here.

Anyways about this thread, So this is something that I’ve messed around for a while but now it’s finally happening.

The plan was simple; to build something that Audi never did - A B6 RS4 albeit with slightly more power courtesy of a JHM stage 1.5 supercharger kit and a whole host of other goodies. - This build is a “Go big or go home” project!

I started with a ROW 2006 B7 RS4, a 2004 Japanese imported S4 and just a Regular A4 for the body panels.

These were all running, driving cars before i begun - I know, 3 cars to make 1!!

The original RS4 had all euro spec seats etc and was a good base to begin with. I actually used it as a my daily driver for 5 months.

I went to JHM and with the help of Dru/Jake/David over there bought their entire parts catalogue(no joke) including the stage 1.5 intercooled supercharger kit.

Wheels are Rohanna RC7 20" 11’s rear & 10’s on the front with some P-zero’s wrapped around them. ET 28 & ET 33 with 10 mm spacers on the fronts.

Euro wingbacks re-trimmed in German napa leather and Italian alcantara.

Car has been painted in Mercedes Benz cardinal red metallic with extra metallic. (This was before i knew about Audi’s own Volcano Red from their Exclusive program). But its very similar so sticking with that.

Ive included all the photos so far of the build and its progress.

Lets see how this turns out…

Welcome sounds like a very exciting build. Cant wait to see pictures.

Pretty awesome build so far! I’ve been following closely lol

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/iconic78/library/

Photos so far of the build…more to come.

Got a quick chance to glance at the pictures. It looks crazy. Lots and lots of work. Very well done excited to see more and follow this thread. There are several of us that dont go on other sites to this is great to see you here.

dubai ex-pat money…it’s a helluva drug

looking forward to seeing this. Pretty crazy.

Looking good James, a lot of work you putting into this, will follow the build and see how she turns out, definitely something different that’s for sure.

Thanks. Your ears must be burning as i was just speaking to Dru yesterday about your build! Nice to see a saffa doing one. The others that i know of in SA are all APR kits. Before Dubai i lived in CPT so not a million miles away from Gauteng.

So the 1+ kit involves more cutting…shame as we just painted the entire car and will now have to paint the right hand side of the engine bay. For this to pass our inspection we have to make it look close to factory as possible.

Still struggling to find any info on how to install the solar sunroof; i have the sunroof and thats a breeze to install but what i mean is the wiring and part numbers of the relays etc. trying to add all the OEM + options i can whilst everything is out of the car.

It was by chance that i found this forum. The biggest issue here is posting photos takes forever…lol

it’s the same as every single other forum on earth. use [img] tags.

Damn,small world, nice to run into another SAFFA on this forum. Yes, there is a APR TVS1320 and TVS1740 running around in my neck of the woods. The guy with the 1740 blew the motor and he bought another block etc. but not sure whether it’s up and running again.

the 1740s seem to do a lot of damage this isnt the first one to have a blown motor. A local R8 guy with a 1740 blew his motor as well.

So his is possibly not an isolated case? Damn, that is really scary when one read/hear about this especially when you have just bolted a S/charger to the same motor and is about to add some more boost and power to it, scary shit indeed ;D

But, and maybe I am naive, somehow I am not that worried about it, Firstly it’s two completely different chargers. Secondly, the JHM Stage 1+ boost between 7-9lbs max in comparison to I believe 14lbs on the 1740? Lastly and probably most important of all, and here it’s just a gut feel based on my own research, I feel the JHM tune is superior compared to the rest and have safety parameters build into it to protect the motor. Shit, sounds like I am trying to convince myself but I trust my gut feel and research is correct!!

Either way, the 1+ parts are going on soon. ;D ;D ;D

where is that?

there are about 6 cars with the 1740 kit that we’ve heard that had blown motors. Of course some stock cars have blown motors too, so it’s tough to directly blame the blower kit, but it’s not looking great. It’s not likely because they hated making money that APR shelved the kit for all platforms.

As sakimano said there are several of the 1740 kits that blew motors. Who knows how many they really sold but they stopped selling them.

But to make you feel better. JHMs tuner tuned the first 1300 kit for APR when they couldnt make good power. APR got a new tuner in for the 1740 and they pushed the boost past 14lbs and the APR goal was to make as much power as possible not be as safe and fast as possible. Turns out the 1740 cars couldnt pass emmisions testing until JHMs tuner helped APR again.

Also JHM actually does testing. That is why JHM isnt selling you a stage 2 kit with more boost. And JHM took several years to release the stage 1+ kit when they had all of the parts and the ability to sell the stage 1+ kit. JHM did tons of testing before they released the stage 1+ lkits.

So in my and I would say all of the other peoples opinion in the know. You picked the right kit.

I totally agree with you, I heard APR was having a lot people complaining about the kits causing problems hence the reason for shelving it.

I’ve planning this build since 2011 when PES were still offering their system but due to number of factors had to wait(probably a good thing in some respects), so have looked at all the other options out there. I haven’t as yet heard any complaints about the JHM sc so that helped in my decision making process.

Also being to buy everything from them also made things easier given my location.

btw anyone know why i cant upload anymore photos?? It says that my upload folder is full??

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/8a11a94fadef6f174e32cbbebb3a6409.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/52527808c670806bad508fe2fcc88c33.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/3c351cb1956d257f8bb544aaeda9c12f.jpg

Ok so I’ve been pretty busy with this, engine, brakes, suspension and supercharger are being fitted to the car. Hope to have it running by Monday evening…fingers crossed.

Coming along nicely! Once you’re done with solar sunroof retrofit, may I suggest posting a DIY write up here for others. Pretty cool option and you don’t see it too often.

Exactly i would love to see that.