Kimovitzh's green S6

Hi.

So I thought that should introduce my car.
I’ts a late 2006 Audi S6, so a 07 model with a rare factory color - LZ6S Piniengrün, it’s green and brown and grey. It really depends on the lighting outside, but mostly it’s green.

I bought it in may 2019 from a guy that only drove it in the winter for the last 5 years, he’s a car enthusiast with +70 cars, buys classics and exotics, restores them and put them on a shelf for investment.
So for the last five years I has seen 6 months of driving and service every year with ca. 10.000km between.
Car had a total of 184.000km.

He bought the car in 2009 in Germany, here in Denmark it’s very common to buy used special cars in Germany and import them, there aren’t many special cars here and the ones that was first bought here dosen’t have a lot of factory fitted extras.
Keep in mind that this S6 would have price tag of +302.000 US$ (NOT A TYPO) when new, due to 180% in car taxes ::).
The car had it’s first years in germany, first owner as a lady that didn’t ride it to hard the first couple of miles.

Since I got it I have cleaned the intake valve and gutted the manifold as two of the flaps has hanging and a pice of plastic was caught my the air divider :scream:.
Did a oil change with, all filteres was changed, the FVC mod, changed rear inner lights as they had the UV-problem, boot dampers, boot lock as it had the machine gun going on.

Even though it has a lot of “features” I still have som wishes!

1. Rear camera
  2. Trailer hitch
  3. JHM spacers
  4. JHM Tune
  5. New exhaust system (maybe with a CAT delete)
  6. Updated intake manifold

And the minor wishes
A. Mirror with high beam assist
B. Servo closing doors
C. Lase assist
D. Dust shield and air duct from VW phaeton for brake cooling
E. New front brake covers
F. closing the boot with key
G. LED where there is’t LED (Factory fitted LED light in foot wells and under mirror, at door rests)

… this list might expand at some point.

Now some pictures!

https://uc59e69812af08bd5c793e5fc04a.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAfuafFpglhrzPxcrHS2BLRVCVidlGZoWtt5WwiarxwYfPfWRtcNOTXnICZ9VuJcfloVA_lFgbM7klIv03sQpGq7zu7WLsL8q219k1lFRXWAtBvoG8b_qDE1hLgb2XA8EbMP4sxWfGzZkzHfFfJuxg1rfpC0D7YJacV6BXWdOdoCdpbxxUJdzBGsKccsOR8svYkyCfXF1w9HVE03zP4DZM6eVovizVlMROXDG49-tlZJf76SbSZ2pBBz6CpW9E5bU5FikTNacJ_cdDpuQh2O2YL8B-XB7D6gXcPgyKVgpzmG8xvSXM3lwYGynTF6GjhuQ4A1qgj9sKmECSVWv2nEx9jeRlGBpVxmrddRruZLdiK5Bw/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc98ae083b8d22a6abc451c77f0e.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAfaRALX7wsldo5GmZTRMZWNTplcrefVIWb63C3t4qrW_zkzT2xVcjKZMDeNE4TFpaE8-y9MvFUpcC5dcW4xWB-9Zr3KqZPLO1pMwWA4EEdAfWY5d2Ca-sGlaWJ4cDUZPLBfm8shCCSLVhJZ8rLRT61gaeTiEdja0edEvytiT5qyN7Xixmvfxr8fg3f348EoGL5EV3fGrB7mTyO3ve9O-6Z0LTqVbsXHPRC1hUG1_eEsVpOLHcLypek-PH-dzQ2hqjdedsCWlSjvOdO6Yr7ta_X0PDVMiJU2MrFnNp0lPKJHWqdhiuWASUZUx6Jv72BHCsUpVFaX2fWhfTr-tOGm4svo2W8rkVEX8HzCg3Atp3tvmA/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc60c2a68cc4427a0048eec7b4ae.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAelaMnsWZNlAAeTjNAvavULs1qlU4yWSxY7SNvGzty0ELmpiNOHbf6yHZ3_9ur5EhnFE7og61ZN7focJyqRR-WuG0Q6yJq-CeFqpWx7snoyzrRHNxeVvWYh4kxkKP37Im4ZB0HGv_JW9ZSuU2n00sAS7I3m9in0Zj9l3H10p2PPb84XibtKovFTfuY5KQcHvwS_VAZoIdSRBVfck_LywWxT44GdrhUMWr_0IelAmu6AhvJcYQK9QKcPcK1VKUNJT2WnQZEUpiaW5jFKjCNW6eKjam26WWycFyMY3NBZ8i9MpkFLPUVlD1PQxEXyIGwhJ8gdKENvFgIRJZdfhTnUefw_enSAHM8FfcJF0f3z4ak0nQ/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc2a922ecf5526eb1e9a4d6120a8.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAcCYwCvMZOErJitdsq7r942RAvy0DBq5Bxu13Zo3zD2myOck3dVJGsfRbBkstfyDGS1jg1vFTgyXszWs1mkfuzfqN1UFtQ1_U5tWwWwSyr6ZgqJgzMvBMkLJOPhnBvrBXffZ7JceXb5pSSQLQMv9OF1_mZbYbxHs4Mx2buxlFQLqZ3ECTKjn1cuNtgVaFpFWY4iK_bWVzaziawGEQLc0mnlC269_gDa0T1XRnmAU8g7oI93fca5cmG7U0ULBZOXkTKs8BeBmEe_7mD9OT7IK1FJ-tYVBpYrqLKdbMedlIEa80T9AyoFY5o1EBucBCj_hZ4nOlJYVHa6BxTyMXzy5tYaZxhakhpAMHMeVlQjl58sQA/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc6de8407a079856a8d16f5c80db.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAfRhLIik5i7dhHmTmM4ZZz8A38RlLfXUOoxxLRzN6g-7qgiiM5ZjgkitGy-T640LvC_pC5pVXkbsYV-e0Og4-ZbIyoCJLPW8Tw0OfpkAKPC7UY1rqckC8BCaMHa8NfyjZg5gx2RtVOSdW7XcFLIrJXk3BE1_VY41GJ4hQgFFrmvFYDsPBGEeTqVgFmNTbvDnh96TZg1bceGakDC7t3JZMoKxM5SeUdSrTI4LNE0-EP2VUmIACJowb24mpvQszs0N6r3TnM46zMAFuU2tPnl_sdKt9XWKKVanD2HU0CoHHG6YQJcW3covMY-ne0ncEYcQtNotQHzZUyz5UFT1AYXGFA226JBca9c8WIivDvIp6XqpQ/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc4590c996d88f9e986acbc82cdc.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAcWurxcMnvwAuu-MiNAQwhfSHy7fAWi8ns_nld40k_2QEJnk9aTWGD4TDcNDtZ2rlnnuHNM-L98qfSykM4x81bhUx8d2weJiSvgeMt7sYvdazisSWBI0MPj2BYARmInnnWQWef7-uo-4Io5Mt7FY6RIAJj_6sj28zbCsPW8d_i3MDg8eeiz7Ohe2itLfoxHwa-SRsMnIwRS5Tw55pwyDnzwEO28a9dwqbqeT8AqjZ_cIJVmk3FJJXwPItpnlMYWB6PM4si5rl4GDlSwQpdylrriISPw6Nucyd8zqNHRiGawSyjWk5RC95E2Xq53nAbRsRHrJpDfkCqxVq3DnD0TAvSa/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

https://uc71cd9d1a897aa772015fdd96d8.previews.dropboxusercontent.com/p/thumb/AAfgcMr1iS5cc0owOzj-LylhLREHPsmPAyyEtpKj5IHYYPOWfVgcprK-GEzX0BBcM3fdLdq917RV6nBZhG4oNJDGZxutPhPVi4K5sqwdQctbmZF0CaCCZHh3qpmwDHAJqmtrc7hHDbDtotg3X6tqMgQJHEuaOK3PNLId05yJyIHrFx7bgcac6fo2N5vFThsxmTKD9Gy5cdfLzcbXCZrTLBxjdAUqQOOv1wUXqCT9xUJ2si0LL2ivhXggI15MJ7suQNEsTK_6yCYZyk-DzZXOTMtGU6r-39nQ64tlEAZMEBM--Y5eO5aYYP0OI9YrFomm2DSfpL0PaPwekhR35AJbQ9i0/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

So my point here was to keep a log on all the things I would do, but I never got around to update it.

Life happened - and covid :roll_eyes:

So, back in November my oil pressure sensor gave up. Not only did it stoped working, the plastic cracked - sending oil all over the front of the engine.
Didn’t capture any pictures of this, but I did on some of the other stuff.

The car was all over the place when driving at speed, so looked at the upper control arms, and the bussing was all gone.
When accelerating the car would vibrate indicating problems in the CV’s. Also, the suspension was bouncy and it had a horrible squeak then driving over speed bumps. Brakes needed a make over as well.

So it came to new Bilstein dampers with Eibach springs with a bit of lowering, new brakes and new suspension arms at the front. Upper control arms got the powerflex upgrade. and the tripodes on the front axels were changed.

Next time, I’ll be upgrading for the JHM discs! Dam they are heavy!

Next time, I’ll be upgrading for the JHM discs! Dam they are heavy!

The seats were a bit worn and looked old and had a lot of shine to them, last year I bought some coloring for the seats “Audi soul black”. But applying it with the sponge that come with the set was a no go and it looked horrible.
Then earlier this year I suddenly thought, why not spray paint it on?
So I did, and it came out great. Looked brand new and with a nice matte finish.

Pictures doesn’t do it justice!

Now I needed some new rims, the original S6 rims have seen a lot of curbs and are all screwed.
So got in touch with a UK rim suppler (@bm_autosport) that gave a ton on support, as the calipers and offset on this car isn’t standard A6.

We ended up with 20" ISPIRI ISR6 - 8.5" ET 32 at the front and 10" ET 35 at the rear, so had to find the right tyre sizes to compensate and got it at a 0.8% difference - if my memory is correct.
Also ended up painting the center of the brake discs and the calipers.

Then came summer and I’ve ordered everything for a walnut job, but wanted to do it after our vacation, driving from copenhagen to Zürich and from there to Nice.
On our drive home, in one go, the car started misfiring in mid germany :roll_eyes:. So swapped the coil pack with a another cylinder, but with no help. Leading me to injector failure.

When we came home I did the walnut blasting, it was fast and very satisfying! Having done the chemical and manual job, the walnut blasting suits my temperament!

Whilst in there, I cleaned the injectors following the direction of the fuel and the spray pattern was great.
Also gave them new gaskets and o-rings!

Putting it all back, now with JHM spacers (YAY!) is was very disappointed, fewer misfires, but still … misfires!

I ordered one two new injectors, and while they were in the mail it came to me that there could be an internal filter.
So the two injectors got changed, just because it isn’t fun removing the intake EVERY weekend. and the other eight got “back flushed” with mineral turpentine (mineral spirits ?), and look at what came out.

Not the seed at the top though, but the rest was inside the injectors. Even after injector cleaner in the tank, and brake cleaner flush - following the fuel direction.

That green looks pretty incredible.

So I might get flamed for doing this, but had to try!

We all know or have experienced the oil in the spark plug wells.
Having tried to change out the valve cover gasket with no effect I realize that it must be the other gasket that demands the engine to be removed.

Now my solution is only tested on bank 1 leaving bank 2 untested.
I started the test in the last weekend of July and have driven normally since.
Both banks has the problem to the same extend and was cleaned before the test started.

So the tested solution involves a used bicycle inner tube and that’s just it.

The tube I cut to a length that will reach the leaking gasket within the spark plug well.

It sounds stupid … I know.

But this is the result.

Cylinder on bank 1 with the inner tube test.

And bank 2 without the inner tube tested.

As you can see I have it bad as both wells was cleaned and in equal state before the test.

Now. This is just me postponing the real fix.
I know it’s stupid … but it works.
And the inner tube was not melted or deformed when I removed the coils so no harm is done either.:sweat_smile:

I had that problem while in BG and I paid to have the engine dropped to replace the ladder gasket. Bicycle tubes would have been a lot cheaper.

But then, I had a lot of other gaskets to replace as well…

Yeah this is more of a fix to keep the oil in the plug wells at bay. Not a permanent fix.

This fix is along the same lines as I have spoke of in the past and I think you did a great job here.

If you can please consider posting a DIY on your fix with some pictures. I think this espically if the tube didn’t melt would be a great stop gap for people who run into this issue.

1 Like

Oh boy.

So … bad and bad and then maybe some good news.

Our son and I had a boys day and on the highway overtaking a car I suddently smelled coolant.
Looked up in the mirror and just saw an haze and before I could think, the red coolant icon beeped at me.

Looks like the coolant pipe going to the oil cooler or the one above, so I’ve ordered time to get the engine pulled, again.
And that’s where the bad/good part is. Earlier this year I had the cats removed by another shop and I then got the JHM treatment with the stage 2 package and it’s fast and fun!
But EGT’s were high and we logged and logged, and I’m currently running on 100 octane (Europe octane) and E30 and waiting the JHM guy to look over the logs to see if it helped.

But why is this bad and good?
Well, the car is just standing there and I had some extra time to look it over, and I’ve then noticed some grey dust in the tailpipes, looks like cat material. I’m now wondering if the cats just was particularly removed, maybe just the bottom ones is knocked out.
So, the new shop will check that, and knock them out if anything is remaining.

Yes, I will demand pictures this time!

Yeah if just some of the cats were taken out. That would be a deffinit issue. I would check and make sure they got all 4 out

Removal time.
They hope to be done before the weekend :raised_hands:t3:

I dropped by the shop today to see the progress.
Coolant pipe to the oil cooler was busted, just as I guessed.

New one ordered and hopefully I can get driving again early next week :crossed_fingers:t2:

The guy working my car showed me photos of the cats, unfortunately I didn’t get them today, but they are in my file so I can get them when I pickup the car.
But what I saw was bad.
Lower cats both had an hole about 20mm through them. And the top cats were semi collapsed and blocked the pipe.

So it looks like the last shop just punched the lower cats once and let that be.

So now that they are empty and cleaned, more power is to be expected together with the stage 2 tune that I already have. :smiling_imp:

Picture time:

Wow that’s really crappy. So one shop charged you to take out the cats and never did it that kinda sucks. You should take those pictures back to the one shop and get some of your money back.

Glad to hear cats are done properly this time around. Shame on the other shop.

Yes, I will definitely do that!

Same here. I can’t wait to see if I can feel or hear any difference.
From reading on the forum, I should see some gains.

It would be interesting to see if the original shop took out most or just some of the cat material.

You should notice a boost in power with the cats fully removed.

I couldn’t really see it on the pictures the mechanic had on his phone, so I’m just referencing what he said.
And looking at the pictures there was a lot of material left so I do believe him.

Hopefully they can send me the pictures would love to share them.

But!
The car is back! And yes, it’s a stinky mess without those kittens :cat:.
The car is adopting and I can feel a difference in power and sound.

Now, hopefully I’ll have a new exhaust made within the next couple of weeks.

So I think to post the Dragy numbers from :

Stage 1 standard exhaust.

Stage 1 mufflers removed from last resonates (just before the crimped pet on the exhaust at the rear axles)

Stage 2 standard exhaust and cat’s

Stage 2 no cat’s standard exhaust

Stage 2 no cat’s removed mufflers (same as above)

Stage 2 no cat’s and new exhaust (H or X-pipe) with standard mufflers and straight piped as this exhaust will have cut out valves (because reasons)

I’ll dig through my logs and see the greatest of the different logs I have.

The cat back exhaust section on your car is pretty restrictive. and the mufflers are the biggest part of that restriction.

The X pipe shows to play better than the H but it also depends on how it’s built.

When reading up on it, X gives more hp and higher pitch and H more toque and deeper sound.

:thinking:

Got the pictures.
Bad quality though.

image image image image image image

Oh my… That is a lot of material left for a cat that was suposed to be not there. Excited to see how the car picks up acceleration wise now.

Just make sure the X section is big enough to support the power.