LHD Stage1 & 1+ S/C RS4 shortly to be

Hello,

even though I wrote this post initially in another forum, this is the place that it should be as the whole inspiration and final decision to pull the trigger on this particular S/C kit was initially from Sakimano and consequently from the exceptional post of RS4fan.

So I pulled the trigger and bought from JHM the Stage1, Stage 1+, some other engine performance parts and a number of other parts to get my suspension setup to my liking, for my european LHD 2007 RS4 Avant. Kits are being put together by JHM as we speak…yeay!

Car is in pristine condition with almost 85k kms. Bought it from a friend of mine who used it only for long motorway trips and not for city use. Car is still a “virgin”.

I have 2 initial questions to ask:

1. preventive maintenance wise, even though I have no faults anywhere appearing (havent logged the car as is yet though to check actual expected values) any ideas to what I should be looking to replace as a preventative measure? (coils? LP fuel pump?, water pump? gearbox synchros…even though i dont intend launching the car from stop? something else? (injectors were cleaned less than 10k kms ago) bare in mind that my oil/oil filter changing intervals are at 5k kms, plugs every 15k, gear box oil every 20k).

Already have 2.75" dps with 200cell cats, performance clutch, single mass flywheel,audi ceramic brakes.

2a. So I am debating with myself on the use of water/meth as a precaution measure to protect the engine (I am afraid of the downsides of something going wrong), or just go for a straight swap of piston/rods/valve springs for piece of mind (and if yes any idea what is recommended for our cars)?

Once the parts arrive and as I will not be installing them myself but a workshop I will ask them to keep regular track with pictures and details of the installation to keep you updated.

If you’re going 1+, and have good petrol over there available to you, water meth will just be a problem rather than a solution.

Stage 1 is very protective of the engine
Stage 1+ uses that extremely effective cooler to keep things under control

Introducing water/meth is a complication I really don’t think you need at this point. Hopefully others will share their input.

Hello Saki!

I went straight to the Stage 1+ option. Efficiency of the cooler remains to be seen in practice as heat in the summer here in south Europe does get to high numbers.

We do have proper 100-RON fuel here. The quality of the fuel is not an issue most of the time. At the occasional trip depending on location you may be able to locate only 95 RON fuel, but even that is now a rare phenomenon. Car will be moving 99% of time with good 100 RON Fuel.

I agree with Saki, I wouldn’t worry or mess with Water/Meth at this early stage, you already have a lot on your plate with the blower install so concentrate on that. Especially since you can get your hands on some proper high octane gas and that intercooler is making a huge difference to the intake temps. I am pretty sure the tune will also provide sufficient protection.

Have you done a carbon Clean recently on the car, if not, I will throw that into the list of preventive maintenance before you strap on the blower.

As for your thread on the other site, man I have seen all blower threads on there go south quickly, just not worth the effort, anyway that’s just my 2c.

Once my parts arrive I will be testing something to keep the intercooler water cold without hardly any effort on my end. Of course I will be using ice in the tank when at the dragstrip but for normal street driving this will be more than sufficient to keep the intercooler water temperatures down. Pretty sure that the company that sells it will ship internationally too.

spot on the remark Rudi, it does goes South and there is no point to get into waste of time debates…

Carbon clean was done 10k kms ago but will be doing another one once the parts are ready for installation to “start Fresh”.

if you can kindly provide some more details on what you intend to do, it would be great for me as well!

http://killerchiller.com/products/2004-2014-audi-turbo-kc-kits

Sorry Jimmy, hope this wasn’t a secret. I noticed Loe was using this on his 10 second run in his S5. I’ll most likely be getting this too.

Welcome to the site. This is where all of the educated people from that other site have come to. You made the best choice for FI on the RS4. The JHM kit is very strong while being very safe. Not only that but its obviously expandable and proven

The intercooler is going to be the largest offering your going to see on any option for FI on the RS4. The great thing about the units that JHM is using is that they are not some make shift intercooler units that are just crammed in. While there isnt a lot of space the JHM units both head unit and intercooler have been proven over the years over 20 years of testing on mustangs vets and all other makes. The intercooler core JHM uses is a very popular core design that again is very proven.

As for efficency of the cooler from what I have seen and others have as well. You can drop temps below standing outside temps quite easy. From what I have seen here driving a stage 3 JHM rs4 with a inlet outlet temp gauge was that the after intercooler temps were within 5 deg of standing outside temps just driving around. Thats really good. On a few pulls I did after making sure the system was cooled down I saw incomming air temps drop for part of the run before inlet temps started to go up after a few gears.

So the efficency of the cooler and system is very good. and recovery times will depend on what your doing and how your driving.

again welcome to the forum. If you have any questions always feel free to ask them. This is not that other site you will get good honest proven answers from people who know from either first hand or from doing actual research.

That is an awesome kit. The terminator mustang guys love those kits and they work really well. So its not hard to believe that the first 10 second run in a B8 S4 used one of those. Again that is a proven kit that has been used for years. With the JHM kit you can obviously add ice to the coolant tank and that will drop temps and keep them dropped through the entire run. the KC kit wont work through the entire run as on the Audi Rs4 the AC turns off at WOT but it can be used to drop temps before the run to very impressive temps. Thats the biggest down fall of any water cooled IC kit is recovery the KC kit is the king of helping get recovery times under control and getting the coolant charge down below standing outside temps. Its an impressive add on

Thank you for the warm welcome justincredible. Yeah that other site has some “strange and weird” people to say the least …probably some jhm car beat them down again and again …who knows why such hatred…anyway, this is the place i want to be!

The primary use of the car is daily driving and using it at some exceptional twisty roads we have here. Maybe for the fun of it i will track it one or twice per year but as i have a dedicated track car 99% I will be using the RS on the road. I am less into highway pulls and more on the “lets hit the twisties” so the power increase must be matched with a good suspension setup. And the whole package must be able to maintain the temps low during the twisties.

Just an insight on the Current suspension and geometry mods:

1. KW Clubsport
  2. 034 upper adjustable control arms
  3. 034 rear sway bar and HR front sway bar and 034 sway bar links

In the S/C package from JHM the following parts are included

1. 034 lower density line control arms
  2. 034 8mm motor mounts
  3. All the mounts reccommended by JHM for the kit (torque, transmission, rear diff) and the 034 heavy duty tie rods

I have custom made locally

1. Front strut brace bar
  2. Rear Stut brace bar
  3. Under link bars for rear subframe (like those that ultra racing is making)
    These are not yet on the car as with the installation of the kit the front may need redesign.

Last but not least i am thinking either a set of vossen CVT or from works the T7R but with 285/30/19 at 19-9.5 from my current 255/35/19 on the 19-9. I am thinking i need to increase my road patch as even now the 255 tyres cant handle a lot of abuse (dunlop sportmaxx) and i need a tyre with a high Y-load rating

Didn’t know that Loe was using it. I just wanted to see how well it worked first.

I want the KC kit to get the water as cold as possible before the run and then to recover as quickly as possible after. Plan on filling the tank with ice in addition to running the KC drag kit.

Hi Saki,

Im also installing the stg 1+ but unlike most i live in a country where our temps from now and until december are around 40+c daily. are you saying that a water/meth kit wouldnt help in my situation?

Thanks

James

Hi iconic78. Check that chiller killer kit the guys above mentioned. I read a number of reviews and the thory behind it, and it seems like the logical thing to get to reduce the charge cooler’s heat soaking effect. I got also the jhm intake spacers as they seem to work a bit on the IATs.
Have read also about the benefits of a plain water injection system but i cant make an educated explanation as to whether it would help with heat exchanging levels (how would you maintain cool this water?etc)

I would try out the stage 1 using a good water wetter additive to make sure the fluid pulls away as much heat as possible. Even in 100 deg temps the JHM intercooler works well. adding water meth isn’t a good WOT solution as methonal has a much different rate for fuel burn. Adding anything like methonal wise will throw off your AFR as you have wide ban 02 sensors. If you’re really worried PaladinRS4 made a great suggestion the Chiller killer unit is so hard to not look at as a serious solution to keeping things really cool on even the hottest of days.

We have our thoughts aligned on this justincredible. I will be ordering that KC kit to assist in the cooling process of the charge cooler.

is this the correct product I need for the car?

http://killerchiller.com/products/universal-parallel-kit

Lefteris

I ordered this one:

http://killerchiller.com/products/2004-2014-audi-turbo-kc-kits

and this:

http://killerchiller.com/products/killer-chiller-drag-option-add-on-to-the-base-kit

The post office decided to not deliver it today or else I could post pictures. Will be picking it up tomorrow morning.

I’m excited about this KC. Not sure if I’ll be able to wait until you test it out before picking one up. I would like to get my car 100% sorted out before throwing more money into mods though.

so is this the correct product for a S/C RS4?

Yes