Looks like I'm buying a new non-Audi daily driver/beater...

So I bought my wife a Q5 a few months ago and have been driving it periodically and have started to really enjoy driving a SUV/CUV or whatever you want to call it. I’ve also become very bored with the A4 I inherited from my wife and decided to shop for and drive a few different SUV’s… After haggling with the dealer for about 1-2 weeks we’ve finally agreed on a price and it looks like I’m purchasing the below Porsche Macan Turbo on Thur. Put $1,000 down to hold it and writing the check and picking it up Thursday assuming all goes well and I don’t find any issues with it…

If ordering new I would have eliminated about 8K in options but given the price, low miles(4,133) and it being CPO and under warranty until August 2021 it was hard to pass on. The ad is missing the sport exhaust and 20 inch spyder wheels so the true price new was closer to 94K. I’m getting a very good deal based on the research I’ve done and I’ll disclose once the vehicle is in my possession… The biggest issue I had/have with the vehicle is the red seats but they look much better in person and I know I can live with them and actually like that they are not all red and give the interior a nice contrast over all black…

The vehicle has all the key performance options including the sport chrono package, sport exhaust, torque vectoring differential, and sport air suspension. The only real performance option it doesn’t have are the ceramic brakes and I could really care less about those…

I’ll do a full review once I pick it up and have some real seat time in it… Will also see how it does at the drag strip in early April! Not a lot of folks racing these but it looks like it should be good for high 12’s stock, but again this will be my daily driver and not drag race toy. GIAC has a tune for the Macan S but not the turbo yet so I’ll be watching that closely as I don’t think APR will be making tunes for these unfortunately…

Just thought I’d share…

http://www.porschebeachwood.com/detail-2015-porsche-macan-awd_4dr_turbo-used-14751180.html

Nice! Congrats!

That is going to be your DD, lol…nice. I’m actually not afraid to admit I really like my wife’s Q5 also. It drives incredibly well and even the 3.2 has decent acceleration. I think I’d be even more happy if it was a 3.0T, but I doubt we will ever move into another Q5. We’ve looked at the SQ5s, but I just don’t see one being worth the extra money over a nicely optioned Sline.

Awesome. Looking forward to your thoughts on it!

Welcome to Porsche land :slight_smile: love my cayenne gts. My boss loves his Macan s. You can find some cool deals on the s and turbo recently. Great car with the pdk, biggest feature I miss but I guess I get better towing and well throttle response and noise. So the s4 and ttrs stay in the garage?

Do full Exhaust and tune one the Macan and it will fly even around corners. Very toss able cross over for sure! 4 wheel drifts :wink:

I like those red seats. Porsche is the only company that has always been bold with their leathers. Red, Navy, different browns. Audi is boring.

Scott, Thanks man! Looking forward to picking it up and driving it… This won’t be a garage queen like the others so it will get used and driven hard…

Euro, Yeah, never thought I’d be a SUV guy but I’m actually hooked and these Macan’s drive so nice and are so connected, I’m a Audi diehard but this vehicle blows the SQ5 away… It’s a lot of coin for a DD but it’s got all the options I want and then some for 20Kish less than new…

Eddie, Thanks! I’ll post a review after a week or so and like I mentioned I’ll test it at the dragstrip early this season and see how slow it really is ;D

vtgt, Thanks! Yeah, love the PDK(Audi DSG for westwest! lol), tq vectoring, chrono, etc. It is so connected to the road, it’s really a very nice driver but I guess that’s expected since it’s a Porsche… lol

Yep plan to daily this and leave the S and RS as garage queens… I had someone interested in the RS so we’ll see if that materializes? I can fit 3 cars in my garage but it’s very tight so if I keep the A4 for the peak winter months I can store this if I decide to… My best friend has a huge garage I can use and my brother does as well if needed… At this point though I plan to just drive and enjoy it… With my luck I’ll love it and Porsche will announce a Turbo S model and I’ll trade up… lol

Saki, yeah it wouldn’t be my choice if ordering new nor would paying for porsche crests on the head rests, carbon steering wheel, etc. If the seats were all red and the door panels all red I may have passed on it but I think it’s a nice contrast… Porsche definitely lets you “build” a car vs picking a few packages like Audi and many others…

Yeah, a turbo s would be a rocket, especially if they swapped in the 4.8TT from the cayenne turbo.

Not sure if they are out yet but curious if the Macan GTS is out and if it fits nicely between the S and Turbo.and yea there is no substitute right :slight_smile: no matter what model or trim a Porsche drives like a Porsche which is impressive considering the different geo specs :slight_smile: if the Macan was a little bigger I would consider it but,I’m a sucker for the last NA V8 so once I hit 200k miles into carill go with a fully loaded 2013 GTS. Will get destroyed by the turbo and Macan but handling and throttle response goes against gravity in that car!

Picked it up today… Will do another post with a review and such in a few days once I’ve had a chance to drive it more, read the manual, etc.

So far love it… Initial thoughts… Probably a little faster than the s4 stock(haven’t tried LC) maybe little slower than the RS but very deceptive as it does things effortlessly don’t feel any turbo lag… PDK shifts much much different than DSG, I think they’re slipping the clutches like AMAX does… sport exhaust is still quiet accept on start up… PASM suspension is really neat and love the adjust ability… Has lane alert or whatever it’s called and lane assist, just glad I can turn that shit off… cf steering wheel looks nice but don’t like it functionally, may try to go alcantara or leather will see… lots of gadget stuff to learn but seems fairly intuitive…

So far no buyers remorse… lol

Still no buyers remorse? Do you find you are driving the macan turbo the most? Do you still find purpose and enjoyment in your s4 and TTRS; I assume yes just like to understand how you like your garage setup and purposes for each :-p

I assume the r8 might take the TTRS throne here soon?

No buyers remorse at all… It’s a GREAT vehicle really and drives so nice… Decent performance and can be very plush with the PASM suspension… Really looking forward to a tune as I know this motor has a TON left in it…

Yeah, it’s my summer daily so I do drive it more. I still haven’t sold the A4 and find myself only driving it when it rains or I have to actually drive downtown to my office(take bus most days… lol) Not sure if I’ll sell the A4 or drive it this winter vs driving the Macan…

As for purpose in the RS and S4, they are what they are… The S4 hasn’t been driven all year really but it’s for different reasons and hoping to make some passes soon, but will see… I do drive the RS on the weekends and occasionaly to the bus station…

The RS isn’t going anywhere unless someone wants it, IE I won’t “put it up for sale”, I really want to maintain at least one stick shift performance car and it fits the bill pretty well and given the limited production of them I think it will hold value. That may change if they bring a new one over here or the RS3 but at this point that hasn’t happened… It only has 3,2xx miles and I’ll probably put 1,000ish miles a year on it… Only issue at this point is space but I have some options and the wife and I have been online shopping a bigger house so will see… I love my current place but it’s limited by garage space and ability to expand, but again I have options for storage so it’s not the end of the world… As for the R8 I need to see if I get a FGT allocation while not optimistic I can’t order a R8 until I know for sure. I’ll probably get an R8 in the spring of 17 or hold out for 2018 and the V6TT.

Nice, well GL. I think the FGT you might make more money but the r8 may pan out to be the better car. Have fun! Audi and Porsche in the garage is a nice feeling and driving experience

Ive been looking at TTRS prices (i really want one) and they seem to have hit the hard initial depreciation. You can find many around 40k with 30-40k miles on them. Obviously you dont put any miles on the car so yours would be higher (probably more like 50k).

Im kind of hoping when the MK3 TTRS comes out the prices go down a little further. MK3 is leaps and bounds better than the MK2 now with the better chassis and Aluminum 2.5 instead of the iron block (and plus is just looks amazing imo). Plus 400hp stock in a lighter car with new tech. The only downside for some will be no manual. I would buy a MK3 in a heartbeat but i also dont want to kid myself. New they are speculating around 70k and NYC is expensive as it is. Its hard for me to justify that right now knowing im going to be paying for a private school for my daughter to go to soon.

Is this in addition to your rs4, I think you own that? Or a replacement ? At 70k save up a lil more and get a pre owned r8

If your talking to me then no, it wouldnt be in addition to. I have a S4 btw. I plan on replacing my car in probably 2 or 3 years i think. Maybe sooner if i come across something i really like. I have thought about buying a used R8. By then i would assume you could buy a V8 R8 for around 60k. My wife already told me that we drive her SUV around anyways and that if i want to get something more for myself (like a 2 door possibly 2 seater) i can for the next car.

At that point the question to myself would be a used R8 or TTRS.

Eddie, Yeah, like most cars they’ve dropped hoping they level off and to your point given the limited miles I’ll put on each year it’ll hold value better than most cars, I’d think… Not what I bought it for so whatever, and if they flood the market with a new TTRS and RS3 that will hurt the value given it’s the only 5-cylinder car you could have bought in the states in recent times… Being stick will help also…

Just had a fun encounter… Coming home from picking up a few pales of race gas to do some testing with and as I pull up to a light I notice a car cut over in the lane next to me, look what we have hear a sepang blue S/RS5? I then scan down and see the RS syle grille and such… He rolls next to me and it seems we both turn our music down at the same time… I’m looking and no side badges but given the grill and sound I’m sure it’s an RS… So I say hey man, nice ride is it an S or RS… He says thanks it’s RS5! He then says sweet Porsche, and I say thanks… Of course than I ask if he wants to run and he kind of smiles and says sure… We’re on a 4 lane road with a divider and 2 lanes on each side with a 55 mph speed limit so it’s a very good place for a quick run… I honestly wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out but knew it should be good…

At this point we both kind of turn our attention to the road, I put the trannhy into D and left foot the brake to activate LC. I think he did the same… We are both waiting and it seemed like minutes when in reality it was probably 10-20 seconds… lol As soon as I see the light go yellow for the cross traffic I floor the gas and the revs come up and hold for about a second and given all I heard was his car over mine I think he did the same. Light goes green and boom I dump the brake. He probably dumped a tenth or two sooner, but the Macan launced very hard and I had him by 1/2ish car by the time 2nd came, ran it out and he was still right there with his front end at my drivers door. Into 3rd he was still right there, didn’t gain much or lose much ground. I let off as I shifted into 4th at roughly 80-90 so probably a little over the 1/8 mile but less than 1/4 mile with less than 1/2 car lead. He stayed in it and passed me but quickly let off and slowed… He was all smiles as was I and he said awesome run man. I replied with thanks and same to you… He then dropped it down a few gears and hammered it… I thought about doing the same but no way I was going to catch him so didn’t want to risk it plus my exit was next. He would have taken me from a roll I have NO doubt about that… Good times!

I’ll say this tranny is so soft around town but it is brutal when you activate LC it’s like it’s a whole different tranny. It launches so hard and the shifts are so firm and crisp it’s really good and I wish APR could make the S4 do the same… lol The S4 is much crisper in normal manual mode but it’s no where near as violent as the Macan in LC mode…

Nice run in. May convince my significant other to try the rs5, I think she will like the rs3 more coming from her m235i. Have fun with the baby pepper :slight_smile:

Boom! Looks like I’ll be a giac customer soon… 1st service next sat. Then I’ll be sending in my ecu… Going to be a great fall with this and the s4…

http://www.giacusa.com/news_and_media/display_news.php?id=203

Nice, looks fun man

I’m sure it will be fun!

Honestly, thought they’d get some more HP out of it but the tq gains are very nice especially down low and mid range. It’s a heavy vehicle so the tq will help it get going much better and shit I cut a 1.70 with stock tune so I could see some low 1.6x’s. Not sure it’s going to go 11’s full weight on 20’s but looking forward to trying. I was hoping there was room for multiple tunes and I could get a race file but I doubt they are considering something like that for this vehicle. I hope they make a DSG tune as well as it could use some improvement but sounds like the ecu tune will address some things on shifts.

Thanks for Todd/AWE letting me know about it as soon as he was aware! +karma.