MDUBZ Intro and B6 S4 Build Thread

So I brought the GoPro with on Thanksgiving to make some video going through the mountains and of course I forgot the external mic so most of the footage was useless. I did get a little that gives you a decent sample of the exhaust sound. Here it is and sorry it’s not better. I’m gonna try and get some good videos this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqNHB1F_1k

The trick with plastidip is to remove masking while it is still wet. or carefully use a razor blade to cut the edges from the tape.

I plastidip’d my chrome trim as well and it turned out decent but was a PITA to do

Sounds good. Plastids actually isn’t too painful, and I actually taped up a lot less since overspray is easily removed.

This x2, actually what most bodyshops do when unmasking a car from paint.

Sounds killer, mdubz! I like.

Yeah I’m gonna give it another go tonight and try something different. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I noticed you can just rub the overspray away. I’m gonna go way less masking tonight.

Thanks man. Can’t wait to remove the cats.

Found a good road to launch the car today while I was out. Of course I remembered the mic but forgot the adaptor. Well anyways, here is a mild launch from about 2,000-2,200 RPMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc52Wp7tQ2U

im dying to see a 5k launch and rev limiter 1 through 4.

I love the black on black look I think your grille looks great. as if u couldn’t tell from my car lol.

did u say yer gonna paint the whole car white?!

I just saw a car wrapped in 3m satin white and loved it. I think I’m gonna pick up a roll but I haven’t decided. I can always remove it afterwards if I don’t like it. But I think white with blacked out trim, door blades, cupra lip, and relak side skirts if I can find them will look awesome.

I’ll try and get a full launch assist launch tomorrow and redline it through at least second. Hopefully I can remember everything this time :yum:

whats the LA set at for your car?

I don’t know exactly but I’m expecting a call from CV this weekend so I’ll ask. I think it’s 3,000-3,200 RPMs. Based on sakimano’s video, you just mash the gas until it stops at 5,500 RPMs and then let go, but it actually launches you around 3k RPMs.

I was wondering if they lowered it for the extra torque I think launching your car at 5500 would just be a smoke show. look cool as shit but no good for ETs.

I wonder where mine will be once I change up the software.

I, too, am interested in what LA is on the JHM tunes for the SCs. Just to be honest…I never have used any type of LA. It was on my X, but I was too worried about wear on the tranny. Learned later (after much research) that I should have been dropping it all day every day… :wink: Let me know how it feels!

Sounded great. Just enough spin to make it fun. Keep quick on your footwork so you don’t get the rpm to get up on the shifts. That puts less ware on the clutch.

I’ll see if I can get you an answer for that today. That video yesterday was actually the hardest launch I’ve ever done in my car from a dig. I’ve always been worried about breaking something but that’s no fun. The weather looks terrible but I’ll see if I can get that in today.

Thanks for the tip. I have been working on my shifting technique, trying to get ready for the strip in the spring. I definitely need a little more work. It’s a little harder to shift when the car throws you back into the seat and the gears go by so fast.

Second time around with the Plastidip was much more successful. I think the best technique is mask less and peel more. I masked it off about 2" back this time and just sprayed thick enough to peel away the overspray.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/30/19d513a1a33a5103c4fd5316bcdd364a.jpg

I also started with the bottom and then finished with the top so I could keep the doors open to prevent it from peeling when opening them afterwards. This was how I should have done it the first time. I think it actually came out great and looks awesome.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/30/69bf823521c34d011663787fc15a2aef.jpg

I’ll try and get some good pics in the sun tomorrow.

But for anybody reading and thinking about doing this, here are my tips as well as other tips that I read or were given to me that helped:

1. mask 2" back from the trim
  2. put the cans in warm water before spraying to help with orange peel
  3. open the doors when spraying the top trim
  4. use a razor to cut where you think it might be a problem
  5. slowly peel away the excess at an angle away from where you’re pulling from
  6. use a towel, something dark or your not worried about staining, and detailing spray to get the overspray areas that won’t peel

Looks real good. The hardest part for me was the inside of the mirrors.

Car looks amazing, and thanks for the plastidip tips

The trim under the mirrors is where I had the most trouble. The inside of the mirrors wasn’t too bad for me, although it wasn’t the easiest angles to get.

Thanks man, I really like how it turned out.

Haha that’d be hilarious. I also thought of going gunmetal with the mirrors but I really like how the black looks too. They have a bronze color. I’m thinking that might look cool for your rings so they match your wheels. I’d like to see it before I decide. I really like how your wheels turned out to the point that I’m convinced bronze is the way to go when I order wheels and will probably try that. For now, I think black rings would be too much, I might try gunmetal or grey or something else.