My C6 3.0T S***box Thread

So I brought home a fixer upper 2010 S Line. I figured with all of the work im doing. Ill be posting on here a lot and thought making a thread would be better. This will definitely be a project. But, for 2500$ I think it will be worth it. It sat since spring of 2020. Today I will try and do some more diagnosing and assessing the slew of CELs i have. On my short test drive, the engine actually runs pretty damn strong, and doesn’t seem to ve burning anti freeze or oil, but does have this ticking that I suspect is the cam chain. It was -20c and car was started cold. I’ll try an oil change to see if that help remedy anything. I’ve also included a quick clip from when the owner started it up cold.

Good project car. I would say change the oil like you mentioned, pull the plugs, look at the fuel filter and go from there. It might have just been lifter tick from being down for a long time.

Did an oil/filter change, the ticking has seemed to gotten a bit quieter. I’m assuming I’ll need to do upper chain tensioners. I also am planning on doing water pump, t stat, coils / plugs, supercharger gear oil, and carbon clean all jn one shot. Will be saving up some cash before I order all that. I also need a c6.5 SLine bumper & grill. It got completely trashed by hitting a snow bank

When you pull the supercharger off to do the Carbon clean. You can move a few more things and pop off the back covers and see if there is anything sticking out hardware wise that needs to be sorted at that time. Also pull off the valve covers and take a look there as well.

Alright, well this weekend I’ll be going over the whole car to make sure everything suspension and brake wise is in check. I’ll also pop off valve covers, and the back cam covers, hopefully my ticking is a tensioner or guide that can be changed in car. Looks like if my problem has to do with one of the lower chains, I’ll have to remove the whole engine. Luckily the engine is still running smooth despite the bad coil, so not like a chain has skipped yet.

There is a TSB that Audi has on the 3.0 Tensioners “15 Engine rattling noises at cold start - V6 3.0 TFSI
15 15 26 2039995/1 March 3, 2015.” They claim it is only for noise and that they don’t cause damage but I’ve seen a couple of threads on Tensioners failing, but not a lot. I’d upload it here but we can’t upload pdf’s. You can do a search and find it or pm me your E-mail address. Mark

progress update. Took valve covers and timing covers off (big surprise: timing covers are HUGE pita to take off.) Cams and lifters all look good and tight, the chains seem like they asomewhat tight, but I also don’t know how loose the chains get if the tensioners need replacing. I did notice on the passenger bank, that I can move the chain side to side a bit. So, I’m not sure where else to look. There’s nothing else I can check without taking the engine out.

You shouldn’t be able to even move the chain. There should be quite a bit of tension on the chain at all times. The upper head sections should be under a great amount of tension. I think the 3.0 has a similar guide to what the 4.0 motors see a failure on. Look to see if you have this issue.

Yes those small upper guides are in tact but you can slide guide around a bit on the tab it sits on. I guess all I can do for now is assume it needs upper tensioners and guides, see if that helps remedy the ticking. If that doesn’t help, I’ll have to find away to drop the subframe since I don’t have a lift. I did notice the ticking/rattling has gotten a good bit quieter since changing the oil and driving the car around to move it a few times. But the oil is already quite dirty, since I learned the hard way that you can’t reuse the drain plug washer.

Those guides shown in the picture you should not be able to move them. They should be locked into place via part of the guide itself.

Well, I had parts arrive yesterday from ECS. Coils/plugs, upper chain tensioners, also parts for my b8 a5 that I have torn apart right now too. Just waiting on cam locking tools, then I’ll have a weekend free’d up to put it back together. I’m still on the hunt for a C6.5 S-Line front bumper cover. I’ve checked all over Facebook & Kijiji in Canada with not much luck. If anyone on here has one let me know!

Finally some progress, I was off work early today and was able to change out the upper tensioners & guides. The new tensioners are definitely a different & updated part. I also pulled the spark plugs and found they had quite a lot of soot and are dark, which makes me think the engine has been running rich. Tomorrow I’ll be able to reinstall timing & valve covers, plus carbon cleaning. I’d probably be able to have the whole car back together and running, but there was a delay in shipping my fuel injector seals, so ill be about 80% done! Also found a salvage yard that will sell me an s line bumper for an ok price and will ship to me

Keep plugging away. Looks good.

Something I did find odd is that the folding mirrors go all the way maxed out forward when the normal position is selected, and fold back in the folded position. Is there something I have to use to set the position on the car or in VCDS, or do I have an issue with something?

I think there is an adaption or re learn function. A few different years have a different function modes to set. You might be able to let it run it’s sequence and then adjust it’s new finial position.

Also make sure the switch is working and you have the switch set in the middle and not the open or closed position.

Well my weekend thrash is done. New timing chain tensioners, t stat, water pump, spark plugs and coils installed. Also cleaned intake ports. From what I saw it’s safe to assume none of this has ever been done at 170k miles.
An issue I ran into is that the injectors in the front two cylinders were really stuck into the heads and broke the plastic bodies off them. I was able to get one of them out with vice grips and a pry bar, and the other one is still like welded into the head. I cleaned the other injectors with my ultrasonic and am waiting on new seals to reseal them. Guess I’m adding 2 injectors to the bill :money_mouth_face:
Also noticed a lot of carbon on the spark plugs which usually indicates the engine is running rich. Perhaps the P/O ran crappy gas in it, I certainly won’t be cheaping out of fuel.
Hoping that I am only about 5 hours away from firing her up and that the engine runs smooth with no rattling. Just have to re install injectors, intake & supercharger once the last few parts roll in.

Great job, getting close. I’ve heard on even lower mileage engine when doing a Carbon clean that the injectors have needed a good spray down with a really good penetrating oil like PB Blaster and have needed to sit a day or two with a couple of spray applications. My 98k 4.2 RS5 motor I just pulled apart came out pretty good with only a 24hr soak, using a Amazon purchased VAG DI removal tool. (slide hammer with an appropriate fitting for grabbing the injector).

Looks great. def a rehab job on the motor. should run good once you have it all wrapped up.

I would def get new injectors. They are one of the weak links

Well a small update. The passenger side front cylinder injector was still stuck as of today. I made multiple attempts this week after soaking with penetrating oil to try and break them free by pulling and prying with vise grips with no luck. Feeling hopeless. I discovered this afternoon that I could hook my slide hammer from my injector tool kit on the thumb screw of my visa grips, and with several hard whacks, the injector broke free. These 2 cupped washers/shims got pretty damaged and my 2 new injectors didn’t come with them, and set of seals didn’t include them either. I can’t seem to find replacements when searching online. I know it would have been best to buy a full set, but between having to replace the front bumper and purchasing a set of summer wheels/tires, 6 new injectors weren’t in the budget, and all injectors were firing ok before I took her apart. All of my remaining parts I ordered have shown up, so will be doing one final thrash and should have her running this weekend

Good work. Some of those can get pretty locked in there.