My RHD JHM Stage 1+ S/Charger Install !!!

Art in motion. fantastic work thanks for doing this. happy to give you a rep bump for such great work and just as great showing us all the work along the way.

Very excited to hear how it all comes together and how the new found power is.

Thank you, really appreciate the feedback, and thanks for commenting!! One sometimes wonder whether anyone care or read but at least the “View Counter” kept going up so I figured someone must be reading :slight_smile:

Thanks Rudi

Had a good week, managed to tie up all the loose ends and finish those bits that were all sort of halfway completed. As mentioned in my last post I basically had to load the new tune and get the inter-cooler system bled.

But, it didn’t all went smooth, got thrown a few curve balls along the way but luckily nothing serious.

Wednesday afternoon I was free to do my own thing so decided to get the new tune flashed and out of the way. So hooked the battery back up to the car and logged into the JHM server and started the burn. All went well until it was time to burn the new tune and error came up telling me it can’ see the ECU :o Well, almost caused me a heart attack because I was messing with the ECU etc. during the install so one’s mind tend to start playing games with you. After a few retries without any success I cancelled and started the process all over again, 2nd time lucky, burned both ECU’s successfully and took about 23 min’s to complete both. Big sigh of relief… :slight_smile: Car fired up without any problems so all good on that front.

With power back on the car it was time to hook the new relay and water-pump up and then try to get that water circulated, hopefully, and check for leaks.

Connected the wire from the relay to the hot wire from the battery and it immediately blew the in-line 20AMP fuse. :o This had me worried as I have never really messed or work with any relays before so was clueless as to what the problem could be. Took the whole contraption off the car and went about checking all my connectors and wiring again. Got the multi-meter out, spend an evening on google and tested everything to ensure the relay was good. In the end, only thing I could find wrong was a loose connection on the connector connecting to the wire from the battery. Got that sorted out and hooked everything back up to the car and success. Went in no problem and with the key in the “ON” position the pump was up and running… ;D

Added some coolant to the water tank, ran the pump, holding thumbs, no success, the water was not flowing so wrecked my mind on how to get that system bled and that was it for the day.

Friday afternoon I had my game plan ready and decided to give it another go. Took the pipe of the inlet nipple on the pump because I wasn’t sure if the direction was ok, for I all I know that pump could be turning the wrong way. Switched it on and placed my finger over that inlet and could barely feel anything but at least I could make out some suction so figured the pump and direction is good. Tried the old cypher method as well to try and get the water flowing, no luck, just ended up with a mouth full of coolant nothing more, once you hook that pipe back up it was just not doing anything. In the end it though was a really simple solution to get the water flowing.

Unhooked the “HOT” inlet/return hose from the fitting on the water tank and connect it to another length of hose with the far end going into a clean container standing on the floor. Then connected a spare hose, just long enough to be able to reach with my mouth, to the inlet fitting on the tank.

Inlet hose to container…

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/670683589.jpg

Blow hose to water tank inlet…

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/99248468.jpg

Put the lid back onto the tank and locked it in place to make sure it seal the tank. Turned the ignition on and with the pump running went about pressurising the tank by blowing on the short pipe connected to the inlet. It really didn’t took much effort and that was enough to get the coolant flowing through the system and into the container.

Coolant from the “HOT” return hose flowing into the container…

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/608265973.jpg

Turned the car off. Poured the coolant from the container back into the tank and added some more coolant to ensure the tank was filled sufficiently. Repeated the process one more time and then a 3rd time without blowing on the hose to ensure the pump was primed and could circulate the water without assistance. Then connected the “Hot” hose back onto the inlet fitting of the water tank, took the cap off the tank and started the car and let it ran for about 3-5 min’s with the tank open to ensure all the air got bled out of the system. Could visually see a strong constant flow of coolant back into the tank from the return hose.

Coolant from the “HOT” return hose connected back into water tank…

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/186292758.jpg

I ordered some new headlight lenses a while back and planned to have it done when I did the Stage 1+ so with the Stage 1+ upgrade mostly completed it was time to get those lenses swapped so I can put the car back together. This weekend I tackled that and other than being a real PITA job it’s not that difficult, provided you take your time and be super care-full not to drop, break or scratch any of those frail internal reflectors, oh and that black glue, stick to everything it touches so the aim is to make sure you pull those lenses down and away from the unit when you separate them that way the clue, if any, hangs downwards and don’t drop all over any of the shiny stuff.

Old lenses separated from the headlights

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/718564343.jpg

Was quite surprised with the amount of fine dust buildup on the internal reflectors etc. Something you don’t really notice with the lenses fitted, but normal I guess for a 9 year old car. So worked everything over with a a really soft brush, the big fluffy one you wife uses for her make-up works extremely well, and then blew everything out with compressed air.

I have read that some people leave and re-use the old glue to re-seal the lenses but for the amount of work and effort going into this job I don’t see the logic behind that. I stripped all the old sealant out, trust me it’s a SHIT job, and lined the housing with the proper stuff I bought with the lenses. It’s the same stuff as the OEM glue and it works really well. Putting it all back together is actually the easy part, I thought it would be the trickiest part of the job but it went back together really quickly and without any issues. The result is worth the effort a 100 times over, cannot believe the difference a good clean and new lanses make to the lights, super happy with the result… ;D ;D ;D

Headlight with new lense…

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/293164534.jpg

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/34397371.jpg

With that completed, the Stage 1+ upgrade is done and dusted. All that’s left to do is putting all the trim back, give everything a final once over check and take it for a spin… ;D ;D ;D
Will be tying up all the odds and ends this coming week and should have the car back on the road by the weekend. Once I am happy that everything work as should I will go back to the same Dyno for another run to compare to Stage 1 results and then do some V-box logs and try and get some video’s etc. and post all those results in the thread.

Thanks for everyone that followed, read and commented, much appreciated.

Just some additional information on the RH Fog Light.

Installed the front bumper today and was keen to see if the smaller pulley supplied with the 1+ kit does indeed clear the fog light on the RS4. I have seen that question asked before but haven’t seen a definite answer back from anyone. The short answer is NO, it doesn’t fit. Yes, the pulley on the 1+ is smaller but all that means is you have to cut away less when doing the Fog light mod as I did in my Stage 1 install thread. Effort to make it fit, exactly the same as per the Stage 1 so I decided to stick with the fog light as is instead of cutting up another one, not worth it and no-one will notice anyway.

If someone did manage to fit the bumper with the Fog light installed on a JHM Stage 1+ RS4 without having to modify the light, please let me know I would love to see how and what I have missed.

You would never know your fog light wasn’t 100% OEM.

As for the dyno run just make sure to keep an eye on all of your temps. If things get too hot like oil or coolant the JHM Tune pulls back the power quite a bit. Normal working temps do best for actual power numbers. Also don’t be afraid to drain about 1/2 the tank of water and add ICE to your resivware. It is a fun thing to do. The mustang guys do that and you can get super cool temps sometimes even below outside temps.

As for the fog light, you are 100% correct haven’t found anyone yet that noticed anything, but not sure I would like to go through that process again, that was a lot of work :’(

Thanks for the info on the ICE, I new about the possibility to put ICE in the tank just never thought about doing so for the dyno run. Would like to try that sometime unfortunately I have been to the Dyno already by the time I saw your reply.

So just a last pic of the engine bay with all the trim back in place.

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/29398331.jpg

So Friday evening with everything back together I took it for a drive to check for any problems but mainly to see if there were any leaks in the new Water to Air IC system and to listen for any unfamiliar sounds etc. Fortunately, nothing no issues, all turned out good and couldn’t resist some spirited driving, WOW, WOW, WOW!! What an absolute blast of a time I had. ;D ;D

In standard trim I enjoyed driving it, but I have always, and reluctantly so, accepted that it was a 9-10 year old platform and performance wise one could easily get lured into a false sense of security by the soundtrack of the exhaust and the high revving V8 and run the likely risk of getting a good spanking from a hot VW GTI R, S3, S4, A45 AMG and the likes. Well, I talk under correction and time will tell if I am correct, but I believe those days are over.

To describe the transformation to someone in words is just not possible, you have to drive it to experience it. The Stage 1 has elevated the car performance wise onto another level, the 1+, has literally gone and pulled the dam out from underneath the duck’s ass, its as simple as that, period. So to say that I am satisfied is an understatement.

Last outstanding thing on the to do list was the re-gas of the air-con, had that done today and with the vacuum test holding and showing no leaks it was a big relief, any problems would have meant I had to get to that fitting we made to have the pipe running underneath the water tank, which would have meant a strip out of the pipes and tank.

Ok, so onto the Dyno run and figures. Did that this past Monday and as before, with the pre and post Stage1 exercise, I went to the same shop and operator to compare apples with apples.

The results as with the Stage 1, is inline with JHM’s figures and claims. In fact as with the Stage 1 I gained a bit more than what JHM states, and as they have pointed out their figures are conservative and results could vary depending on the health of the car etc. So, apologies for the metric Dyno sheet in KW but I have done the BHP conversions for myself as many people prefer to have Horsepower figures, even locally.

Just to re-cap then on the previous figures acheived.
Stock & CC - 316 WHP / 360Nm
Stage 1 - 426 WHP / 459Nn

Dyno Run Stage 1+

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/388070220.png

Stage1+ - 496 WHP / 517Nm

Have arranged to get some V-Box acceleration logs done etc. and I will loads those details on here as well when they are completed.

As for now, well, I am sure we are out of milk, or bread or something, so might have to make a quick dash down to the store, wife don’t understand what has come over me… ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,thanks for reading!

WOW… Absolutly WOW this is fantastic. Fantasic results fantastic post and information.

Stage 1 110whp over stock.
Stage 1+ 180whp over stock.

500 awhp and a sweet sounding v8, sounds very yummy. Congrats, and Go JHM!

Props to
You for such a detailed thread and pointing out and helping future RHD installs. Very nicely done.

Now take it to a proper track, both one with curves and a quartemile for some nice times :slight_smile:

forgot were all runs down in the same octane gas or?

Great results!!!

Thanks, I am blown away by the end result, a real PITA to get it installed properly but so worth in the end!

Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Will definitely like to get it to a 1/4m track of which we unfortunately don’t have in abundance, really limited to just one close to where I stay. At the moment the car is still on the stock clutch so it will definitely not handle any hard launches. Have a JHM 3R clutch sitting in the garage and will make that my next project but for now I just want to enjoy the car for a bit. The past year between the Stage 1 & 1+ installs I didn’t got to drive it much.

Yes, all runs where done on the same shitty 95 Octane gas available locally.

Thanks Jake, glad it’s finally done!

Some small updates.

During the Dyno test I discoverred a small coolant leak on one of the aluminum fittings I fitted to the intercooler. Nothing major but still an irritation and I had to get that fixed and really didn’t looked forward to it as those fittings scratch up by just looking at them. Anyways, bit the bullet, got it all taped up and tightened both just to be sure. Another test drive revealed that I still had a leak due to coolant stains being present on the intercooler but this time I couldn’t find anything seeping from the hoses. had me baffled and then after removing the inlet feed for the airfilter discoverred this :-[ :-[

Turned out I removed this clamp from the small hose, not sure why I did it, and never slipped it back into place. As the watertemps risen it started leaking and fortunately for me it never blew off completely. Slid it back into place and problem solved.

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/732934937.png

Next mod isn’t strictly blower related but I decided to update this thread as suppose to opening another one just for this. But, on 2nd thoughts, this actually fits right in with the blower upgrade, one of those mods that is a nice to do when stock but a must do if you go the blower route. Upgrading the Engine and the Torque mounts during the Stage 1 install obviously contributed towards the affect as well as the diff mount was now one of the reamining two weak links in the chain, the tranny mount being the other one which I will upgarde when I install the 3R clutch.

Noticed a huge “Skip & Jump” affect when coming of the gas after fitting the blower. Always felt a bit of slop on the drivetrain but the extra torque and power of the blower just made that so prominent that it was hard to ignore. Actually very irritating to say the least. After looking at the different options available for upgrading the Differential mount I decided to go with the Powerflex option. Price was keen as suppose to the other options and the problem wasn’t the OEM mount housing but rather the rubber bushing. Local supplier had one available and I installed that last weekend. What a transformation, stiffened up that diff big-time. I went with the “Blue” option, designated for street use but they also have a “Black” option for track use. Wouldn’t mind testing the black one and might do that if I can get my hands on a 2nd hand OEM mount.

Swapping it out was really straight forward, almost took longer getting rid of the rubber bushing than it was to remove and fit the mount. Below a few picks of the old and the new.

OEM Fitting

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/460625179.jpg

Old Rubber removed

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/229852435.jpg

New Rubber Mount Inserts & Bushing

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/488959875.jpg

Front View

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/918062519.jpg

Rear View

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/101638572.jpg

Mount back on the Diff

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/92009394.jpg

Money well spend concidering the results.

oh man that clamp thing sucks. Its nice that it was easy to get to tho. I have had little issues like that happen but the clamp was hard to get to with the motor back in the car.

Suspension and driveline mounts make all the difference in the world. Lookin good

Looks stock…can’t really tell anything is going on at all.

Pretty funny when people say they prefer the look of the APR kit or the shit-shop in Washington’s pancake griddle look. For one, who cares what it looks like…but even then , if you do, you can’t beat the look of that stock manifold.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/rudivn/JHM%20Stage%201%20Plus/Pic%2092_zpsedb2ge7k.jpg

hello!..can only say congratulations on the job and outstanding results…

so that you know, you are the reason I pulled the trigger and ordered also stage 1 and 1+ together, along with some other parts…your posts will act as an installation and “be careful” guide once I receive the parts and start installing (not me, the workshop).

Will bug you with a few pms for some clarifications/questions if that is ok.

yeah, something small that could have easily left me stranded out somewhere on a remote road, such a small thing but so easy to miss. Just as well I did multiple test runs close to home and checked everything thoroughly once back in the garage.

Love that Diff mount upgrade, huge improvement!

Agreed, that stock manifold FTW, but again, I might just be biased :wink:

Thank you, and welcome to the blower world ;D

Me the reason for you purchase, man that’s some big words and a huge compliment but thank you kindly, I am sure my commission cheque from JHM is in the mail,LOL, Jake are you on here?? ;D ;D

You are most welcome, will assist where I can!

Its a big decision, but I am convinced you made the correct one, looking forward to follow your install and progress!

Who do I write it out to?? ;D

I think he says that to all the girls…

:slight_smile: