New carbon ceramic brake disc option

We all know the OEM CCB rotors are extremely expensive and it’s one reason I haven’t tracked my car five times a year at COTA, every year since I owned the RS5. The CCB’s tend not to last on-track and if you overheat them enough, they’re done. Throw them in the garbage and find close to $10K for a new set.

I have a solution. Continuous fiber reinforced ceramic. The largest difference is the way they’re made. It’s not a cast process but rather it uses continuous carbon fiber and is an additive/machined process.

There is FINALLY, a ceramic rotor can be refurbished, much like an iron rotor. These rotors have a TRACK LIFE of 5,000 to 10,000 miles (that’s hard track use folks, not daily driving) before needing to be refurbished. The refurbishing procedure is about $600 and takes 10 days as it’s done on a very specialized machine.

The rotors themselves have all the benefits of CCB rotors, same weight benefits, but can withstand much higher temperatures, are more thermally efficient and as I said, can be refurbished if the need ever arises. There’s a street pad and a track pad, both by Pagid.

This is not new technology. It’s been used by Koenigsegg since 2004 on every vehicle they’ve produced and the Porsche track junkie community has been enjoying them for years as a replacement for their carbon ceramic rotors.

They’re about half the cost of new CCB’s, street price (like from ECS Tuning). MSRP is generally around the $6300 range for TWO of the CFRC rotors. Not cheap but these will literally last the life of the vehicle and you can actually use them on-track without worry.

The first size is a 380x38 disc for the RS5 and a few other vehicles which use the same disc (R8, Hurican, Gallardo). I know the number of RS5 owners would be small and luckily the rotor is the same across multiple vehicles so we benefit.

There’s also the strong possibility a 380x34mm rotor could be brought to market. For the non-CCB equipped cars with the 8-piston calipers, these discs are compatible with both iron rotor and CCB calipers. So the non-CCB cars could have a new option to now have carbon ceramic rotors and leave the OEM calipers in place, albeit with spacers for the new rotor diameter.

I know many of you would probably be interested in a rear setup to “match” the fronts. The rear rotors on the RS5 are only 22mm in width and currently, it would require a completely new rotor design. It can be done with enough committed interest but I don’t think it’d be worth it given the cost would be about the same as a set of fronts.

Lastly, there’s a 395x38mm disc that will work with the CCB caliper cars with spacers up front. That also, is a possibility.

The other rotor we’re looking at is the R8’s rear CCB rotor which again, is shared by multiple vehicles spanning almost two decades so the numbers and the need are there. These would not retrofit to the RS5 even with a custom caliper kit.

It would probably require about 10 committed parties to bring to market for any new size.

Currently, the full four wheel setup for the R8/Hurican/Gallardo is a go, with the initial shipment 6-8 weeks out. Naturally we can use the front rotors on the RS5 if your car was originally equipped with CCB’s.

If the base brake package cars want a fitment with a 380x34mm rotor, it’s doable but there has to be actual interest. Otherwise one could source the Brembo 19Z calipers, brackets and brake lines and have a far less costly upgrade path to carbon ceramic brakes. The 19Z calipers would not have to be CCB-specific. They came on several Porsche’s equipped with iron rotors. Because the CFRC rotors are 3X more thermally conductive, they’ll work with “normal” calipers and don’t need the carbon ceramic pistons.

So for everyone with the base, iron brake rotor cars, you will now have an easier path to upgrade to a carbon ceramic rotor. The 380x34mm rotor is a go, complete with a caliper spacer. You’ll be able to swap these in and use your original caliper. I went and purchased a set of 380x34mm rotors and had them delivered to ST in England to help them speed up the development process. Having a CCB car I personally don’t benefit but I thought the desire would be stronger amongst those who don’t already have CCB’s.

These discs should come in right around 9 pounds.

We took some glam shots of the rotors. These things are unreal. The rotors for the CCB cars and the base, iron rotor cars are about six weeks out. This is actually a Porsche fitment but hey, the McClaren just looked right :wink:

The have a very different look vs. the OE chopped carbon fiber discs. Those that get these are going to be absolutely amazed at their braking performance vs. the iron rotors.

2 Likes

If there were fitting discs for the rear axle for some other car model that fits would be the best solution for me.

I had that discussion with Tim @ ST two weeks ago, specifically RS6 and RSQ8. If we get a fitment for the RS6 (C7) then those would bolt right on to the RS5. You’d just need to source an RS6 rear caliper.

But the discs are already here, landed stateside and I’ve fitted them to an R8 which has already done one successful track day at VIR.

I have a second set hopefully going to a Huracan RWD in Hong Kong here shortly as well.

This is him at VIR in July.

This is kind of a cool photo if you’re a total nerd like me, pad transfer onto the rotors, in this case a Pagid RSC1 brake pad:

1 Like

Picked these up today, another R8/Huracan/Gallardo replacement set. The fronts fit the RS5 with the CCB option and as mentioned, far more durable than the OE CCB rotors at about half the cost. ST was supposed to send me the iron rotor upgrade set (same diameter but 34mm width instead of 38mm). These have entered full production with the next batch being done at the end of the month.

Not cheap but easily the best brake rotors on the planet bar none. The come in at 13.8 pounds front, about 9.8 pounds rear.

1 Like

I have a B9 RS5 with the non-CCB brakes. I’d be interested in these if I could get a matching front and rear set.

Unfortunately the B9’s have a completely different rotor setup from the B8’s and the R8 so there aren’t any plans at this time to make a fitment. The rear setup wouldn’t be as advantageous due to the small disc size plus I can’t see many B9 owners spending $12,650 on carbon rotors.

Now if there’s enough interest, we can produce them but it’d take at least six owners willing to commit with a deposit.

The B9 front rotors (iron) are 375x36mm and those dimensions aren’t shared by any other brake disc for current Audi vehicles. On the B8/B8.5 RS5, the front rotors and calipers are the same as the R8, Huracan and Gallardo so there was a good business model to bring that fitment to market.

These rotors will be used in the United States International GT Car Racing Championships btw…International GT is a North American racing series that includes three different championships for late model Porsche and Ferrari competitors. Home primarily to sports drivers, with the occasional professional driver/coach joining the action in endurance races, International GT annually presents The Stuttgart Cup, Mission Foods GT3 Cup Trophy and The Maranello Cup championships. The Stuttgart Cup includes Cayman 3.4 and 3.8 liter cars. The Mission Foods GT3 Cup Trophy features 996, 997 and other GT3 Cup cars from the last decade. The Maranello Cup includes Ferrari 360, 430 and 458 challenge spec cars. All classes compete for season-long sprint championships.

So pretty serious stuff which’ll really illustrate the benefits of the ST rotors over iron and traditionally manufactured CCB rotors.

Ok fair enough. I know there are some people who are pretty serious about tracking their B9 RS5s, they even have a Discord https://discord.gg/XxEVpstf so there probably would be a few people interested in this. If RS4 owners are included you’d probably have even more. Too bad the B9 uses a unique brake rotor size.

How open would that group be in me joining and asking if there’s interest? Or…you could point them to this thread if you’d like. I’d be happy to answer any/all questions in regards to the rotors.

Yeah not sure why Audi felt the need, in this one instance, to use a unique size. I thought for sure it’d be the same rotor as say the RS6 or S6 iron rotor but it’s completely unique in diameter and width.

They could have even carried on with the B8’s 19Z caliper and CCB rotor. The new RS3 is using that caliper and assuming the same rotor (380x38mm) for it’s CCB setup.

I’m sure it would be fine, they already have several other vendors in the group. I’ll ask the mods tonight (Discord is block on my work laptop) and I’ll also post the link to this thread.

I just sent you a PM.

Sent you a PM John.
-m

I just replied to your PM.

Hi Ape,
Do you do any other brake options.
My disks are coming to end of life so will be needing to change this year. As much as I’d love these I do not have that sort of money. Wondered if your able to maybe help me though or even any advice for me what I should look for. Or am I best just replacing

You have CCB front discs? As of now, there are no replacements for the 380x38mm CCB disc with an iron rotor. Plus they’d be really, really heavy. I may have one source for something, let me reach out. Just know there’s a shortage, industry wide, of iron rotors. The foundries are experiencing a major disruption in raw materials so if there isn’t something in stock, it likely won’t be soon.

Do me a favor Mick, shoot me an email. sales@redmistracing.com.

Also know the price is in USD and being in England, you’d have a favorable exchange rate. Would come out in the neighborhood of £4700 with no import tax.

Thanks Ape, still alot but that’s more within range of consideration. I’ll fire you an email over and if you have some options that would be great.

So far I found ECS ones and was looking at RS6 ones as quite alot of RS6 here in UK in salvage yards

Sent you an email!

But to clarify for everyone else who may read this post, that price is for a PAIR of rotors, not each, so about 60% the cost of new OEM CCB discs. The ST rotors I offer are at a lower cost yet it’s a far superior disc in every measurable performance parameter with a wider selection of compatible pads to dial in your preferred braking feel.

1 Like

Yorkshire_mick, when looking at the C5 RS6 rotors and pricing, make sure you are looking at cross drilled ones, they make them in non-cross drilled.
If I had the money right now I’d definitely go with Redmist Carbon replacements, a set for my RS5 and a set for my RS6. But I’m engine shopping and retirement house shopping so in other words I’ll be broke soon enough.

I’d love the ones from Ape but money is the prevention on that.

Steve on here mentioned his Reylands on his and they seem around price I was hoping. I think I’ll likely go with them.

But priorities first, stage 2 from Ape is what I’m hoping to get first and hopefully soon now. Then I’ll get brakes when I need them more :grin: