New Smartphone Review Thread

I’m officially a Iphone 5S user now… LOL Now I just need my 2.5 year old to help me figure it out…

Prime yet another diehard forced to change to iOS. Muahhhh ha ha ha!

Get tapatalk!

I can promise you, anyone who considers themselves a photographer doesn’t use the presets. So I guess you’re confirming what I said earlier. An experienced photographer will use Aperture Priority Mode, Shutter Priority Mode and Manual. That’s it. And they will shoot everything in RAW. The creative presets and jpeg settings are for…you. :slight_smile:

Apple user confused by dSLR - ‘I don’t know how to use this thing…it’s too complex’

Someone else - ‘just turn it to mountain’

Apple user - ‘OK’

I’d like to know how to do the such. But unfortunately I’m not that knowledgable. So I set it to mountain, or more likely set to auto.

Picked up the note 3 yesterday and I can’t even put into words how much of an improvement this is. My days of being an iPhone person are over. It’s probably the developer in me but I’m a much bigger fan of having of all the functionality and customizations available to me with this phone. Not so mention having a screen that can finally fit my massive hand. It makes typing so much easier and I don’t find the need to jump on my laptop now to do things that were just plain annoying to do on my iPhone. I haven’t had the chance to test the camera too much but it seems to be pretty legit and I’m liking all of the different shooting options you are given. See yah later iPhone.

Welcome to the world of the note! I’m jealous of the note 3 though!

have you tried using an Iphone since? Im the same way, I have gigantor hands, I had my galaxy s4 for quite some time, accidentally broke the screen, sent it in for replacement, and in the meantime I used my sisters old apple 4s…it really did feel comical to hold, and texting was alittle difficult! But I will say though that Apple’s predictive texting is the best out there, with Swiftkey and stock Android coming in second.

Oddly I’ve had much better luck with the auto correct/predictive texting on this phone so far. It’s probably partly because I had trouble hitting the correct keys on the iPhone due to the size but either way this is still an improvement for me. I also like how it gives you the list of words underneath to choose from and the arrow to keep what you have if it’s predicting a different word. I especially like how it’ll put your email on the bottom for online forms. The only thing I miss at this point is being able to swipe left and right for the previous and next page while browsing online. I’ve also noticed on tapatalk that the time line isn’t populating with threads. Is there a reason for this?

haha fair enough, I actually barely type anything anymore, i spend the majority of the time swipe texting, its become so second nature to myself, and with the big hands its very easy to do one handed.
I did have very similair issue with tapatalk but after restarting the phone, it found a new update on the play store, and has worked fine ever since, I have notice some issues with PM’s on certain forums, also the notifications are very lacking lately, I used to receive notifications the second someone posted, I’m now receiving the post email before i receive the tapatalk notification. damn technology lol

also I ditched stock internet browser and downloaded chrome, run it on all my devices, really handy when you do have them all linked together, Just recently i was doing some researching and wanted to finish the reading while i was at work, but had used my laptop to bring up the forums, with chrome you can access what pages are still left open on other devices(laptop,tablet,phone) and bring them up on your phone or tablet or viceversa.

This phone actually came with chrome on it already. Took me about 3 seconds to replace the stock browser with chrome on the bottom of the phone. That’s a cool feature with chrome that I didn’t know about though. I’ve also noticed that the notifications have been sucking it up lately. Still trying to get used to the swipe texting though. I’m pretty quick with regular texting. Especially on this phone. Tried restarting the phone but the time line doesn’t seem to want to work for AR. Seems to work fine for other forums though.

After two weeks with the note, go back and use someone else’s iPhone. You will laugh at how little it is. Hell when I switched from Samsung S2 to Note, after a couple of months I found my old S2 and held it and I couldn’t believe how little it felt.

Ditto. Whenever I use my Wife’s iPhone, it feels like a little toy, coming from the Note2

http://audirevolution.net/addons/albums/images/727642368.jpg

Holy fack! Pretty crazy size difference, iPhone looks comical lol

The battery alone is worth the switch. I used the note all day long to stream music, spent about on hour talking on it, streamed numerous videos on YouTube, and spent a decent amount of time on tapatalk. Didn’t charge it all day and it was still at 60% when I got home. The iPhone would be down to 70% by the time I got to work in the morning.

I forgot to plug in my note 2 in the car - streaming music, using GPS for 2.5 hours, battery went from 70% to 50%. Pretty good I reckon

iPhone 5S. Drove 3 hours with Navi. Phone went from 70% to DOA%. Pretty terrible, I reckon.

Note 2 is quite a bit better than note 1. Basically by 8pm my battery is shot if I’m using it.

I’m always using everything though. I leave bluetooth, wifis and gps on, and have the screen pretty bright all the time. Don’t really bother to do anything to preserve battery life and never charge it midday.

[quote]Following Apple’s disappointing earnings report, a debate is heating up over where the consumer electronics giant’s share price is headed, with one analyst calling for a near 40 percent fall in the stock.

Apple shares fell sharply at the open Tuesday, down nearly 8 percent.

[b]Bert Dohmen, president and founder of Dohmen Capital Research Institute has a long-term downside target of $320 for the stock, citing the company’s declining profit margins and lack of technological innovation.

“Apple hasn’t had any technological innovations since Steve Jobs left, and this is a company that’s getting beaten by its competitors. Now, we hear the next big item (iPhone 6) is going to have a larger (screen) size, Samsung has had that for two years,” Dohmen said.[/b]

Data released by research firm IDC on Tuesday showed that Samsung’s smartphone market share edged up one percentage point on-year to 31.3 percent in 2013, while Apple’s fell from 18.7 percent to 15.3 percent.

“We are recommending not buying this stock, and have been since six days after the top which was $705 in September last year,” he said.

Apple shares crumbled 8 percent to $506 in after-hours trading Monday on disappointing iPhone sales during the October-December quarter and lower-than-expected revenue guidance for the current quarter.

During the quarter, Apple said it sold 51 million iPhones, fewer than the 55-million estimate expected by Wall Street analysts. In addition, the company said it expects to hand in current-quarter revenue of between $42 billion and $44 billion, versus expectations for $46.05 billion.

The company posted earnings of $14.50 a share on sales of $57.59 billion, surpassing expectations for $14.07 a share on sales of $57.46 billion, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters.

Colin Gillis analyst at BGC Financial who cut his rating on Apple to hold from buy ahead of the earnings release on Monday said the company needs new products in order to drive future growth given fierce competition from low-cost rivals in the smartphone and tablet space.
[/quote]
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101368268

It’s kinda crazy. As much as I agree that the iPhone development has been lazy of late, at the end of the day the facts surrounding the company are hard to argue

It is currently trading for 8x their cash on hand and 11.6x next years earnings. While the growth may not be there, I don’t see why the company is trading like a utility.

To put it into perspective, is Apple a stock to buy if you’re someone who likes to participate in short term price action and trap a quick capital gain? Maybe not. The market doesn’t love it right now. It’s a good value stock to trade, so if you see it hit 4XX have a look.

But let’s imagine it as a business we wanted to buy. It’s a dominant player in a load of tech segments (tablets, phones, computers, mobile music, online music, online app sales)…it has loads of cash on hand and virtually no debt (the debt it has on hand is just an arb on the dividend)…has very solid profit expectations which it is returning to shareholders in the form of a modest dividend. It’s a great fucking business. Not a great stock though.