Newbie intro and JHM tune

Hi Guys.
Was recommended by some other members to jump into this section. I’ll do a quick intro

I’m Michael from UK and I drive an RS4 B8

I’ve had nightmares trying to figure out ways to tune the car and then I spoke to JHM who told me pretty much all RS5 parts work on my car too. This has opened a new world up to me.

A little about my car, it’s a 2014 RS4 in Daytona Grey. It’s stick except all the Audi options included. The only option missing is the pan alto roof.
I run at Santa Pod Dragstrip alot as its local to me. I’ve done a 12.4 as my PB

I think I’m going to get a JHM tune for my car and was really hoping to hear people’s thoughts especially if any RS4 owners have this tune.
All seems well but the part that worries me is flashing myself. I’m no mechanic at all and never claim to be. However seems only option is to flash myself.

Other mods coming soon are milltek downpipes and some performance filters.

Once these are all done I’ll then start saving again for the stage 2 tune.

I would put some times up and video of the car but I don’t know how. If anyone on Instagram you can see them on there, Yorkshire_mick

Anyhow I’m here for advice, recommendations and just Audi talk. I’m on my 4th Audi now. Since my first one I’ve never gone back :rofl:

Anyhow enough waffle look forward to hearing and speaking to people
Many thanks
Yorkshire Mick :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey Mick,
Nice to have you on here, my name is Steve and I’m in the U.K ! I also have an RS4 :blush:

I’ve got the stage 2 + JHM tune I’ve also gone Cattless and have the LWFW and LWCP’s all from JHM I’m running a modified Milltek exhaust with an xpipe and I’m running a 2.75 inch from headers to rear mufflers, to be honest the only thing that is Milltek is the rear boxes :joy::joy: !!

To do the flash of the stage 2 tune is easy id never done this kind of thing before doing this tune and i did it with no issue’s.
In fact Ape Factory who is on here as well has now done a YouTube video on this procedure something I didn’t have at the time so as long as you follow this you will be fine any doubts and the guys on here will gladly help :blush:

You will not regret this tune it transforms the car and I’m sure if you search around you will find plenty that agree there are loads of us who have this tune and are 100% happy with it.

It’s a pleasure to have you on here and anything you want to know just ask and all of us will help as much as we can :blush::+1:

2 Likes

Hi Mick,

A pretty healthy amount of RS4 guys now have the JHM tune over there in the UK. I don’t really follow too much outside of this forum. But the last I checked the top 3 (or more) fastest RS4 guys were all JHM tuned.

Tuning wise. If you can use a computer, you can with ease flash your car. It’s pretty straight forward and issue free. No need to even be car savvy to get it done.

1 Like

Steve thanks for the welcome. I will be honest one of the other guys in here did mention you to me and said you would be ideal guy to speak with.

I’m hoping to get the tune end of this month or next month. I believe the video ape monkey did is the one I’ve seen. Am I correct to say you need a battery charger though.

Did you change panel filters at all or have you left them stock.

I was told JHM don’t do downpipes for the B8 RS4 that’s why I looked to milltek.

Thanks for the welcome CountVohn.

Finding out the RS5 B8 is practically same car as mine has opened up a whole new world for me now :grin:

Hi buddy,

A battery tender is a good idea if your going to flash the ECU / TCU with the stage 2 tune.
I’d leave it on there first for half hour/ 45min before you flash. You then have peace of mind knowing your voltage is not going to drop to much.

I’ve changed my Air Filters you can go for K&N or like me you can go with BMC Filters part no for these is : FB719/20 there just as good and MRC really rate these filters !

As far as I’ve been told the JHM DP’s will fit the RS4 B8.
I’ve got Milltek DP’s but my car came with these a non resonated system. I have modified these by taking the small resonator’s they do put in on the Milltek euro spec version out and putting an xpipe in there place, if your keeping your CAT’s then there is no need to put resonator’s back in like I have just to keep the noise leave down a bit.

I’m not sure but I think the euro spec Milltek is a different size the the U.S version as my exhaust is 2.75 inch from DP’s to rear mufflers and I know the U.S version has a smaller diameter !

@SteveRS4 thanks so much. This is great and confirms I was in right page.

I’ll be doing stage 1 flash first, JHM say I can’t jump straight to stage 2 unless I buy both of which I can’t afford right now.
For stage 1 is the battery charger still required.
According to someone I know it recommends 40amp charger and most are 8amp I may be wrong.

Filters my options are K&N or BMC. Both have been recommended.

The down pipes are non resonated ones. Link below

I have a 20amp charger and I put it on half hour before I flash that’s why I said leave it for half hour to 45min before you flash ! I’d try and get as high amp as you can and then put it on a good 45min to an hour before and you will be fine.

How much is the stage 1 if you don’t mind me asking as I went straight to stage 2 I’ve never had the stage 1 tune.

The Milltek DP’s look ok just make sure there about 70mm outside diameter and that will be 2.75inch.

Stage 1 direct from JHM is 799dollar so like £500
Stage 2 is double price

Glad you mentioned the DP diameter I’m all for looking and tuning but I’m no mechanic and miss things :rofl:

I suppose I should start bothering my mechanical friends see what battery chargers they have hehe.

Are the downpipes an easy fit or ballache
I’ll be getting a garage to fit those as I have no access to a ramp.
Also did you flash with a direct cable or wireless
I’ve heard if it stops half way it’s bye bye ECU

Yes thats sounds right for stage 2 if you can i go stage 2 if you can as its much more improved over the stage 1 its so worth it i promise.

DP’s are pretty easy to fit in our car I know the RS5 has a little less room from what I’ve read.

I use a direct cable as it’s the safest way as if your mbps are not very high it’s more of a risk doing it via WiFi. I believe the new server from JHM is loads better than there old system and if it drops the signal it will still pick up from where it left off ( I think I’ve read that somwhere ) but to be safe I use a direct cable then you can’t go wrong.

It’s a good point. Im still figuring out best way for me to do this.
I don’t like doing stage 1s when I know I can do stage 2s. Although I never have money I’ve always managed to find it for my cars :wink:
I might do the downpipes first then which I should hopefully be able to do end of this month potentially, then perhaps do the stage 2 in October. Looks like I might miss out on getting it on dragstrip with new tune this season though. Will be a very long winter waiting to get it into quarter mile next year :rofl:

I’m so impatient when comes to the car :rofl: yet I’m so lazy and laid back with anything else.

Out of interest Steve where bouts you based in UK , north or south.
Do you go Santa Pod at all or any other events in UK

Yeah I know what you mean I’m the same with my car I can never wait for anything but with everything else I’m like yeah when ever lol.

I go with that DP’s first then Stage 2 you won’t regret it and it transforms the car !!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m near Scunthorpe mate I’m from down south tho lived in Luton most of my life so Santapod was my second home back then. I don’t do much now what with having kids etc but I love driving around the lanes etc as and when the wife let’s me lol :joy::joy:

Haha interesting I’m south now in MK so pod is a regular for me :rofl: but I’m originally from the north lol, Castleford way. My nanna and grandad cremated at scunny

I’ll throw out that my internet is slow, about 6~8 MB download speed and I’ve now flashed both ECU/TCU 3 times each with no problems. First time I put mine on a 20amp battery charger but the last couple of times I just left it on my 2amp trickle charge and all was fine, but that is also with a brand new Lithium Anit-gravity battery, comparable to stock amperage, but I think it is only about 7Kgs. Just make sure your DRL’s are turned off along with the climate control and MMI/radio, etc…

2 Likes

Thanks Hahn,
This might be a silly question but how do I turn the MMI off. Always baffled me this as I only bother listen listen to the sweet sound of the V8 :rofl: I know this will be something simple

If you press the volume button momentarily it mutes, if press it and hold it for 3 or 4 seconds it shuts it off.

Amazing haha thanks for that, knew it would be something silly like that.

Mick,
First, welcome! Second, I’ve flashed quite a few RS4’s around the globe at this point. From the UK to Hong Kong.

Contact me and I’ll get you a good price on the tune. sales@redmstracing.com.

I have a tutorial up on my YouTube page on how to flash. Here’s a link!

Mick,

If you get the tune defo go to Red MIST Racing !

Michel is a top guy and will look after you for sure :blush::+1:

Check out his You Tube page there is loads of helpful tutorial’s on there and some great info to be had !

Also Michel does the transmission cooler kit something I’d defo invest in especially because you go to Santapod a lot. It’s one of the best bits of kit on the market and will stop things getting to hot when doing those launches up the strip !

1 Like