PCV elimination, VTA

For race cars and off road use only. :wink:

I’m done with phase one of my PCV elimination experiment. Taking a broke PCV, I separated the base plate from the upper portion of the valve using a cutoff wheel. It’ll be scanned and then duplicated in solid form with no voids for air to pass through to seal off the PCV.

It’s a bit complicated to completely seal off the the PCV so I thought the re-engineered “plate” would be best. Will retain the o-ring to seal everything off just like factory.

Should have those in a couple of weeks tops along with a complete kit. This is better, IMO, than running a dual catch can setup which’ll be expensive and won’t prevent all the volatiles from entering the intake.

The downside of venting to atmosphere is that you may smell oil occasionally. I’ll be testing that side of things here soon. I’ll have a few photos up later so you can see what I’m referring to.

Brilliant idea. Would be very interested to get the necessary parts shipped across the pond. Can’t see why the pcv would be needed for optimal anything.

And crankcase gases added back into the intake actually lower the octane of the fuel/air mixture entering the engine. So removing those gases is like adding Octane booster.

This is true! Multiple benefits to VTA IF we can tolerate the smell :slight_smile:

If you are going to delete them you mays we’ll get jhms coolant delete kit (since your in there) but in all honesty you can make it yourself it’s just a hose with a block off cap x 2

I have the kit, just haven’t installed it yet! I’ll need to do a how to since it doesnt come with instructions.

Honestly it should of came with a longer hose and then you wouldn’t need the brass connectors … All o used from the kit was the block off caps and got a bigger hose

Do you have photo? I may have longer hose someplace if it’s the right diameter.

I think you shared the installation with me on What’sApp but I can’t find conversation.

And nice job on the block off plates. You beat me to it! I knew you’d gone dual catch can (best setup I’ve seen so far) but didn’t know bout the block off plates.

Huh…strange they didn’t just do that! I’ll have a look sometime soon and get it installed. Thanks for the photos!

Pics with the SAI valves and with them removed.

As Mblais said, easy to do the block off plates with the engine out as well as the MAF/Coolant hose removal.

EVERYTHING is easier with the engine out, LOL. Why couldn’t it be easier to remove. I used to be able to remove the engine out of my FD RX7 in 90 minutes. I got good at it as I was blowing them up all the time! Still, 90 minutes for engine/turbo removal. The good old days.

Hey Michel, I would be interested in this kit for the pcv please can you explane how it works and the benefits as I did not know you were looking into this.
Also what coolant hose do you block off and why do you do this as this is all new to me and am not sure how it works so a better understanding would be helpful.
Thanks
Steve.

Have you got any pics of where the block off caps go and where the pipe you block off goes from and to ?
Thanks
Steve

Steve, there is a pipe that runs a small amount of Coolant to the MAF to warm the charge air. Per JHM’s website this is meant for cold weather emissions and they sell a Blockoff kit. I just did my own by plugging to two fittings with high quality Silicone plugs (034 Motorsports source in my case). I’m away from home and I’ll see if I can get a pic tomorrow. I know one of the lines goes to the other coolant line that goes to the top of the Coolant resevoir. On top of the Reservoir one goes right to the radiator for overflow and follow the other to the back of the engine.

Hey Mark,
That would be great if you can get some pictures thank you buddy :+1:

I’ve now looked on JHM website and see the kit and what it does it sounds quite easy to do.

What size pipe do you need to do this mod and have you got a link to the caps you got to block off the pipes also what size are the joiner’ s to link the pipes together ? As i wouldnt mind trying to make the kit up myself as ilive in the u.k so might be easier.

In the u.k we don’t often go below 0c but it can do now and then but only by 1 to 2c lower, would it be ok for me to still do this mod ?