PCV elimination, VTA

Basically we block off the PCV’s and the engine no longer ingests the off gasses from the oil being heated up. Those gasses, or volatiles, are what leads to a majority of the carbon buildup. By doing this and venting to atmosphere instead, we’re eliminating a large portion of what causes carbon buildup. It won’t eliminate it. There’s still combustion gasses from valve overlap and oil dripping down the valve stem which gets past the stem seals and valve guides.

1 Like

Steve, I may try to tackle the JHM kit today. Will take pics.
-m

Oh that would be great thank you Michel pics will be handy to see and what size pipe you need etc :+1:
Thanks for the info on the pcv valves I get what your doing now and why.
I understand it won’t stop the carbon build up but anything to slow it down would be a bonus !
I just didn’t know you would be able to block them off completely that was why I was confused. Will the out let pipe drop down so it under the car then you might not smell it as much ?

Steve, here are some pics with the engine cover off. You can easily see the Orange plugs but I have circled the Black Silicone plug that I used in the bottom line and another plug on the Coolant tank since they are exposed to pressure and heat from the Cooling system, regular Rubber plugs are probably not recommened. When I do get the manifold off for Carbon clean next year or so I will probably replace that whole two piece line with the ‘T’ (currently plugged next to oil filter) with a one piece line. Here’s a great Brit car ad for you too!

1 Like

How come you removed the line? He cause jhms kit kept the line back to the coolant tank

Mblais, the line is there to complete the circuit so water is flowing through the MAF’s, you could keep it but there is no reason to have it once you delete the MAF’s from the circuit, just simplifies things.

Technically it’s just the air oil separator and upper intake manifold as we don’t have MAF’s (speed density). I just did the mod and it was super easy. Shot video but won’t have it up til next week.

1 Like

Ape is correct, out of habit I called them MAF’s but they are just Throttle bodies. Interesting factoid, the TTRS uses the same throttle body.

That Bosch throttle body is used across various makes and models including Mercedes Benz and others. The Ferrari 812 Superfast uses the same throttle body but with a larger diameter butterfly. You can theoretically bolt it right on to the RS5 upper intake manifold. It’ll fit the R8 as well.

That’s brilliant thank you for the pics ! Very nice advert pic too hubber hubber I’ll take 2nd and 3rd’s on this beauty :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1::joy::joy:

Looks quite simple to do, have you got the size pipe you used and the size of the caps orange and black ones ? As like I say I am going to get the parts myself as it not worth me buying them when I’m over in the u.k

Thanks ever so much for all your help buddy :blush::+1:

That’s fantastic once you get the video up I’ll have a look at it !

Thank you for this :blush:

Let me know when your pcv kit is ready as ill grab one off you, so put me on the list cheers matey :+1:

For the PCV remove, is there a way of monitoring the oil pressure, to be sure? I forgot about the vacuum being pretty strong across the pcv.

Can monitor with the VCDS. I”ll log with and without PCV.

Sorry just seen I don’t think I need the hose do ? I just need the caps orange and black if i do it your way ? Sorry had a blank on what went where earlier :man_facepalming:

Steve, you’ll need the hose to “complete” the loop. You’re simply bypassing the intake manifold.

I wish I’d known about this kit/trick round November of last year. I managed to bugger the top hose that runs over the throttle body. I failed to secure it in the bracket and it created a small hole. Had to spend needless $$$ fixing it only to find I’d bought the wrong piece! I then fabricated a metal line to replace it. Now all that is gone. Good times.

1 Like

Hey @Ape_Factory,
Looking at @Mblais first picture he has the hose then @hahnmgh63 pictures he has removed it and capped both ends off one on the coolant tank the other by the pcv valves ? Is this not correct then ?

I live in a cold climate, though, I don’t winter drive the car.

If I did this, any issues?

Coldest temps I personally drive the car in would be -3, but it gets -50 here but this a summer car now.

It’s more of an emissions thing but no, shouldn’t have an issue if you install it.

Where do I put my credit card information in? :grinning:

AF, by emission thing, do you expect anyone needing to pass annual emission testing might fail with those “deleted”?