POLL: Drag slicks and seat/exhaust removal...do we want these times on the list?

‘let’s have an argument’

Always gets things started nicely.

Those B8s were both on total drag slicks, no debate really. The only grey area will be the ‘cheater slicks’ that qualify for street car bracket nights at NHRA tracks but are in reality a full on drag tire in disguise. The category name says it all.

The cars I can think of are the 2 B8 S4s, the APR RS4 1740, jason@jhm’s 11.1 b5 s4 k04 time (no exhaust) and a couple of other jo interior times (auditude4.2 11.46 although they have an 11.49 with the seat so that’s no loss as they’re both second place for B8)

There’s a few other legacy B5 s4 times. I can search for ‘interior’ or ‘seats’ in the other modifications category to find the no seats guys. And of course ‘slicks’ or ‘drag tires’

If anyone can see any others on the list let me know.

Bottom line is everyone is losing a time (all the big companies) so it’s not a witch hunt or unfair. I think it’s a good standard.

As an rs4 owner it was cool when an rs4 was the fastest audi on the list but it never felt right with slicks and gutted. Definitely a hollow victory. Good thing about that car was Apr also ran it in street trim. (10.60 vs 11.1 though!).

Good to see a bunch of other cars (jhm RS4 , Apr RS7, apr TTRS etc) go just as fast with full interior and street trim. Much more interesting.

why don’t we blacklist specific tires. the list wont be that big and then its very black and white, if u use this tire u don’t get on the list.

every tire u posted a pic of above should be disqualified. the et radial is also too much like a slick to qualify. the nt555r is a toss up though.

I agree that it should be a case by case basis. How about if it is a questioned by a member then the owner has to post a picture of the tires that were used to see if it looks like a slick for most of us to decide? That would be the end all of this debate.

Now what defines a slick is anything that looks like a mostly smooth tread surface across most of the tire. So those DOT approved drag radials that Jake posted before would be okay because they obviously have grooves molded in them for driving through the rain.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/deanscheidt/255-60-15DragRadials_zps8d2a729f.jpg

I personally don’t like the idea of specialty wheels/tires for just running at the dragstrip either but I feel like that would be harder to enforce.

Yeah I think it will end up being a combo of what Badtoyz and Jimmy posted.

Basically we will have a no slicks rule, and will flesh that out with a list of examples of go and no go tires.

If someone has a tire not on the list it will be up for discussion. The problem is if people start voting along party lines (i.e. I have an XYZ tune and I want XYZ on top so I’m voting Joe with XYZ and his slickish tires are ok) it will cause issues.

Interesting discussion. I think I’m convinced that this is a grey area. Another idea - allow all times ever on the one list. Then have a column called “HAIL MARY” where the options are Y/N. Set the list to default to “N” when it is viewed. Then we have the option of seeing all the Hail Mary runs.

easy for you to say. You being the guy who doesn’t have to recode the page or rebuild the entire list.

besides, gutting your car and running slicks is ghetto.

Didn’t say it would be easy, just wanted to know if it was an option.

Sounds like we’re moving towards a case by case type of scenario. I see what you mean when you say it’s hard to lay down hard and fast rules. I agree the key here is “spirit”. Like Mistro’s fastest all motor time - bunch of guys show up to a track, have fun and drive home again. No trailers, no wheel changes, no funny fuel.

those tires there jimmy are as good as a slick I had them on my 5.0. they stick like snot to a screen door. that mickey Thompson et radial is a hell of a tire. guys can lift the front tires off the ground with those on.

To bad you can’t have 2 categories 1- Street legal. 2- Experimental.

You need the experimentals too be encouraged so people and groups who are pushing the limits do so, seeing effects of weight reduction, exhaust, etc. But while those numbers don’t reflect real world, they are important to the improvement of the platform.

Then the other data point that tells the general, street legal owner what they can do to go fast.

So tires, cats, airbag removals, etc. would be determined by legality. If it isn’t legal in even one state, then it’s on the experimental list.

by that definition, almost no modifications for Audis would be allowed since the market is so small and virtually nobody carb certifies (thus illegal in california)

as has been discussed, nobody is saying you can’t run with your seats removed or with drag slicks. Have at it. The results will be discussed, and will be added to the audizoo list since Arin runs it and APR’s only stage 3 runs worth telling us about were with drag slicks no seats no exhaust.

It just won’t be added to this list, based on the voting results which were 19-7 against that.

I think the whole point here is the spirit of the list…which is to identify what parts work well to make your Audi faster. Removing your interior is the equivalent to removing 250 lbs on some Audis. Is that even possible with weight loss? Adding slicks is the equivalent of gaining about 1.5-2 tenths in the first 100 feet of the track, setting you up for incredible ET. Is that even possible with anything else? Removing your exhaust chops 50-75 lbs from the car, and creates a zero restriction exhaust that is IMPOSSIBLE to replicate…again, is there any merit in having that on the list?

If you want to demonstrate the effects of weight, ADD weight. Marc (10secS4) did this with sand bags a few years ago. Eventually adding 900 lbs to his car to show the effects on acceleration of weight. I don’t think we need to revisit that to get an understanding of weight reduction will do for you. It’s around 1 tenth for every 100 lbs.

Allow it all. I’ve run my car with drag slicks and with street tires and there was no change in the 60’ for a low 12 second all wheel drive car. There are plenty of “Sticky” street tires out there, once you open that can of worms where do you stop. My Hoosier DR2 tires are DOT approved, does that make them street tires or slicks. The same goes for a RE-71 Toyo 888 etc.