POLL: What European dragstrip certification standard should we accept?

With the popularity of using the dragstrip as a benchmark for acceleration testing, our dragstrip database here on audirevolution has grown quite strong over the past 2-3 years. We have literally hundreds of records from a dozen or so Audi platforms. They key to note is that this list is not my list (I just administer it for the site owner)…it’s not the site’s list…it’s the members’ list, and the Audi community’s list. To that end, when we need to clarify the inclusion or exclusion of a time, it’s really up to the members.

One of the ‘standards’ we put on the list, itemized in the ‘Revolutionary Results’ thread was the standard the track had to be up to.

[quote]Non-certified dragstrips will also not be added. Basically only results from a proper dragstrip with standardized/certified timing systems will be included.
[/quote]
it goes on to specifically mention times that will not be included, specifically:

[quote][size=14pt]

1. pbox quarter mile times - should be self explanatory
  2. temporary airstrip type dragstrip event times - there are lots of these in Europe as they unfortunately don’t have many proper dragstrips. Including them is tough because they often calculate trap speed differently and rely on GPS or radar gun devices etc. That’s not really fair to compare to times that were run on a certified track with controls etc. on the timing and track setup.
    [/quote]
    It isn’t explicitly stated but here in North America, the members of the site with their input have deemed that to be an IHRA or NHRA member track. Around the world it starts to get complicated as those bodies appear to no longer be operating internationally the way IHRA used to a few years ago.

Many of the dragstrip events in Europe or Africa are temporary setups on an airstrip or on the straightaway of a racetrack. It’s tough to consider that for inclusion, however there are a number of other places that are permanent, standardized and in some cases certified dragstrips.

So…we can just do this on a case by case basis…we can just add everything (which would ruin the integrity of the list) or we can qualify the description a bit more.

Here’s an example of a track that is part of a couple of motorsports governing bodies, that go through certification and standardization…and is very much permanent. However under our list, as it stands today, it’s tough to include because of this grey area. Shakespeare and Santa Pod are kinda no brainers. York too I would say (also in England).

In any event, vote above, and we will go from there.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r304/muddytalker/Hot20Rod20Drags206.jpg

http://www.nostalgiadragworld.com/sg_userfiles/IMG_0153.jpg

http://static3.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/4800-2/photos/1401130048-drag-racing-at-long-marstons-shakespeare-county-raceway-uk_4846392.jpg

I voted ‘any permanent…’

But I would also like to vote that they should be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Runway with some temporary looking stuff…but it’s always used for racing? Nope.
Converted runway that has been permanently converted to a dragstrip with safety walls, a permanent tree, massive clocks, grandstands…Yup.

x2

Before I vote, will this standard be only offered to non north America tracks? What I’m getting at here is. Currently the track needs to be an IHRA or NHRA here in north America. This question is for strictly tracks overseas.

I’d say any tracks that were at one time certified IHRA should be accepted.

Question. I thought I’d read before, that even the “permanent” tracks that are not IHRA / NHRA spec tracks may do the trap speed based on speed at the finish line, rather than the average like is done here. Is that correct or incorrect? And are there any other things like that (1 foot roll out at the start line or similar that is not always uniform?).

If that is the case (the trap speed and/or start line difference) should they be added with an asterisk to denote this? If that’s not the case with any permanent track, then disregard the question/suggestion and I support the permanent option.

Yes, I should have been more clear…when I put EUROPEAN in the title and EUROPEAN AND INTERNATIONAL in the body of the message and the poll I should have clarified for the Americans that European and International means not america.

Sorry for being so misleading :slight_smile:

That’s the deal with non-standardized tracks for sure sometimes. They have a radar gun at the finish line.

If a place is permanent, giving you timeslips and ‘trap’ speeds, it’s like we do it here. The nature of a trap speed is just that…the speed through the trap.

^ Ah, thanks for clarifying.

If your running the list. I vote how you do. The standards of the NHRA should be closely followed for any international track to be considered. I agree with any permanent with requested information. If you have a permanent track thats one of the main qualifiers. I would just be careful we don’t want someone saying some super schetchy track that is “permanent” I think the deffinition of permanent should be open and shut. shakespeer is super ligit there are some cases of permanent possiblily tracks that might come into question.

I reckon go case by case. The MSA in the UK seems pretty kosher if they’re running FIA sanctioned events at Santa Pod. By extension Shakespeare would be legit.

However, that may be irrelevant since the NHRA/IHRA have no affiliation with the FIA lol. Probably easier to go case by case as it crops up on AR.

The integrity you guys have with the list is what makes the list great. Keep it up.

I think Include times from any ‘proper’ permanent dragstrip
Just make sure you make clear what ‘proper’ is. Great work

I think the competitive nature of the environment will ensure nothing makes the list that shouldn’t.

The case by case seems to make the most sense. Fortunately it’s pretty rare that someone in Europe in a modern audi actually goes to the strip for testing.

They’re more dyno happy over there, the way we were 10 years ago.