Projekt: Pandora

Where do I begin with this car, Its really hard to know where to start to be completely honest. I remember reading for hours and hours, about this new car Audi was releasing, the successor to the Original B5 RS4, and the even more world renowned RS2 which was built with some Porsche engineering, these are the cars that really put Audi on the map in terms of the Race cars for the road.

My next fondest memory has to be the 2005/06 “Top Gear” Series 7, Episode 2, Where Clarkson competed against the climber Leo Houlding to see who could make it to the top of the Verdon Gorge in France. Fast Forward the video to 25:40
Top Gear 2006 RS4 review
That was it… that review, the way that Clarkson squeals like a little girl when he’s saying “four hundred and fourteen break horse power… 414!!! that’s a hundred more then you got from the old beemer… a hundred!!” another great quote from that episode was " I’ve got a sneaking suspicion, that I’m sitting about four feet, from one of the greatest engines… ever made." This was the car for me, i just knew it from the moment i started reading about it, the way it portrayed G.W. Bush by walking around with his hands out to his sides and hands backwards…lol, the way the engine growled, the way it revv’ed out to an astonishing 8250rpm… from a V8, the fenders, the wheels, everything about it screamed luxury and power! And this is where my problems lied, in 2005 when the car was first coming out in europe and making the first appearances I was 17, in 2006/07 when the car was actually available for sale in Canada I was only 18 turning 19, and when the the car above sold at the dealership, full load price was over 100k(a far cry from the 70-80k you could pay in the states) alittle out of my range, and would be for a while! I spent the next few years reading, and daydreaming, i kept myself busy at the time with the MKV GTI project, but this was always in the back of my head, and i know that everyone has that one car that does that to them.
This was mine: B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant, Carbon accents, with all the Euro goodies steering wheel, seats, etc…

Early 2012 was the year I was finally able to make legitimate attempts to purchase my dream car, I made 3 attempts at an RS, One Misano Red, One Suzuka Grey and for unseen reasons out my control, mostly distance, transportation costs and importation fees (esp for the SG car as it was in New York) the first two deals fell through. The third was a Black car from Calgary, it was only summer driven, had KW V3’s, GMG exhaust, Dynamax carbon fiber wheels, a recent carbon clean, 5k oil changes, and only had 61,xxx km’s, the wheels weren’t my style, but the price and km’s where a good match, I had my cash in hand, emailed the Seller and we hashed out the final price, I told him that I would send him $500 as a deposit, and a photo of my plane ticket, if I didn’t show he could keep the $500 for wasting his time, at this point he informed me he would need a $5g deposit, I took this as a sign left the deal and reported the ad, I later found the exact ad in the Audizine Archives, exact car and everything. my hunch of it being a scam was correct.

I was pretty bummed out and gave up hope, I started looking at getting a newer S4 at this point, but a couple of test drives confirmed it just lacked something for me. One monday after work I decided out of the blue to search craigslist, There was only 3 ad’s out of the 15 or so a4’s with RS badges and or “special edition” s4’s. first 2 were way over priced for the km’s, the third was just a written ad with no pictures or anything, I wish i would have copied that ad but was very very brief and to the point, listed the KM’s a phone number, email, and price. I decided that it was only located in North Van (30 mins away) I would take a chance and take a look. Met the owner that Thursday, had the car checked that weekend while the owner was away on a business vacation, everything was A ok, besides obvious wear and tear(ie: brakes, upper control arms, etc… )the following week he was still away on business, so i spent this time going through my phone drooling over pictures… I found myself feeling as i did when the car was released in 06/07, that giddy little 18yr old boy, I really couldnt contain myself at this point, so I blabbed and told a few close friends at this point that i was legitimately close to buying one of my dream cars… which in retrospec made it even harder, because then they got excited for me… this was the LONGEST WEEK OF MY LIFE!!! finally Monday rolled around and the owner was back in town and we met again to discuss final details, I was ready at this point to buy the car, everything checked out, Canadian spec car(1of100ish) I’m the 3rd owner with the 1st and 2nd being close family friends, Sprint Blue with carbon accents, 1 accident (clipped a bicyclist and got a new hood and windshield) which i wouldnt consider and accident but ICBC does, records of everything done to the car, had all recalls performed, it was literally the perfect car! seriously the only way this car could have been better was if I could have gotten an avant. Although as our discussion began everything changed quite dramatically, this is when i found out that he wanted to trade the vehicle in…(immediately in my head I started thinking ok how can I get this car? whats the dealerships name? how much did he want again? how much should I offer the dealer? crap they are gonna jack the price through the roof) my heart sunk… he continued on that he had to many cars, but his wife’s daily could use a refresh, and what with the HST, it made more sense to trade it in and save the money, rather then sell the car outright… I was dumbfounded a week of dreaming of my dream car and then this…I think he noticed the look of disappointed on my face and quickly added to the conversation that he was close friends with the dealership they wanted to get the new car from, and that the price we had agreed upon would be the final sale price to me, not only that but he was willing to drop the price another $2500 to make up for the inconvenience… well alittle poop came out, and Needless to say the papers were signed by the end of the week.

A local car show spring unsprung 2012 was her first adventure into the public you could say, at this point the ideas had very much of keeping the car stock, or as close to stock as possible with a few OEM+ upgrades, of course that changed quickly, over the past year and a bit of ownership I’ve kind of come to the idea of how I want this car to break down, I don’t ever plan on selling the car, a car like this is something that I can very well pass down to my son, or another family member, and I’m keeping that in mind when it does come down to my purchases. No expense’s will be spared, but that doesn’t mean I will be throwing money at the car all willy nilly, Some upgrades will cost more then others thats just known, but just because you pay more doesn’t mean its the best, every purchase I’m going to make or plan on making I’ll break down and share with you, I’ll be looking for longevity and compatibility between parts, and with sharing this with you I hope in return to get some information and other points of view, a new set of eyes on a problem can sometimes be exactly what you need to be able to figure things out.

2 heads are always better then one!

Introducing Projekt: Pandora
Current:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/11487680696_b90f5941db_b.jpg

I hope you enjoy following along, I do have some fairly big plans ahead, the new interior has arrived and is about 95% installed, the motor should be getting even more goodies this coming winter, and should be addressing the suspension and more maintenance pieces as well. With that being said I’m a young guy, and in the middle of searching for my first house, so with some big boy things on my plate, I might have to push Pandora to the back burner for a bit but i wanted to start something here so that i can come back and keep adding to this thread as time goes on. who knows maybe my kid might read this in 40 years…Probably not but who know’s.

I do ask for one thing, I welcome all comments whether they be bad or good, criticism is always a good thing, but please keep the comments respectable and on course! 8)

Cheers Ozcarmeyer

Great intro for the build thread! Awesome car and that interior is just right. Where’s subscription button…

that was an awesome intro. I hope u go more in depth with the interior install, I know u figured out all the bladder and air bag stuff.

god I love that colour, I look forward to checking back and seeing your progress. shes a beaut.

clarksons review sold me too, I wanted a rs4 forever as well but ya the 100k was brutal when they came out. I am the second owner of my car and the original receipt was in the glovebox still. it was $100,134.XX craziness.

what engine goodies are u thinking and what suspension are u looking at?

Great intro. Welcome! Funny you mention the TopGear episode with the climber - that is one of the moments that convinced me to pursue the RS4 as well. The other review that did it for me was Chris Harris driving the B5, B7 and B8 RS4.

Love those referenced shows.

I always figured they just over-hyped the car… until I drove one.

Thank you sir! I was actually just looking for that button, can’t seem to find it? It’s giving me an error on tapatalk saying “do not have permission for this action”

Yes I most definitely will go in depth with the interior pieces, I did make a thread for the vagcom coding in the DiY section (which I need to update as I helped a local with his seats, and we used a different set of coding to get his to work) I still haven’t figured out the bladders yet, just need some more time behind the vagina communication device pushing buttons lol

As for motor goodies, ill update alittle later on with what’s installed and what’s on the horizon to order and install.

I thought I had the suspension pretty much ironed out, but lately I’ve been second guessing myself, (just because of cost and I’ve also been thinking will I actually use the system to its full potential?) I wanted to go with the 034/PSi ohlin setup, and all the 034 mounts, But might just jump into a set of KW V3’s and call it a day.

Although I just found that the audi club NW does a bunch of track days, and I want to start participating in these (I think there are a few members on the board that participate in them so would be good to meet some somewhat local enthusiasts!) so it might be a last minute choice for me.

I think that Top Gear episode is definitely one of the best, I’m not a fan of Chris Harris, but I didn’t mind that review to much.

Datatdatum, couldn’t agree with you more!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/17/64aa3dd95cdba95834866fe0298e37d1.jpg

Really hope tapatalk doesn’t kill the quality on this.

Thursday,16,April,2015,14:54:23:12779
VCDS Version: Release 14.10.2 (x64)
www.Ross-Tech.com
PG Performance
Address 11: Engine II Labels: 079-910-560-BNS2.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8E1 910 560 A HW: 8E1 907 560
Component and/or Version: 4.4L 91/V6 JHM ª0060
Software Coding: 01040009180F0160
Work Shop Code: WSC 91450 999 89107
VCID: 244DFD09E7EA14012A7-8071
1 Fault Found:

005137 - Secondary Air Injection System; Bank 2
P1411 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100010
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 89635 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                RPM: 2279 /min
                Load: 25.9 %
                Speed: 44.0 km/h
                Temperature: 34.0°C
                Temperature: 24.0°C
                Absolute Pres.: 1030.0 mbar
                Voltage: 13.208 V

Also had this little guy pop up the other day, already in talks with CV about getting the SAI coded out, but I’m thinking either my combi valve is stuck or the pumps is on its way out, cleared the code and have had 2 days of no light. Thought’s?

That picture looks awesome.

Your Sai system has a leak. Remove system call Jhm. Boom fixed.

The vast majority of the time that code is caused by a vacuum leak from a vacuum line.

The permanent fix would be to get it coded out but otherwise it is usually an easy fix.

Yea, I thought that code on my car was just SAI so I disabled it, but turned out to be a vacuum leaak.

So finally got around to turning some wrenches on the RS.

New oil pan
Finally installed the upgraded cooler lines. (which I think JHM sent me the S4 lines as I had to cut a decent amount of length out of the lines)
New oil cooler
Coolant expansion bottle.

Also I feels like the car, kind of has a weird stumble and also have noticed alittle puff of blue smoke on start up, so I ordered a new pcv to get that all sorted.

Does anyone know the numbers for logging the hpfp and injectors? Car doesn’t seem 100% and I want to dig alittle deeper into it before just replacing the injectors and pumps.

PCV change and clean the oil separator if you can. Good moves.

The HPFP stuff I think it a 120 121 range if you can check and confirm

You get some extra length because some people end up going SC and it makes it easier ;D

I hope this link works, it’s a lot of data, and not sure I logged the right values but there definitely is an issue. Car seems to stumble as if the throttle seems to fall or run out of fuel even though my throttle input doesn’t change.

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0BxPCRvWk0LzdcS1oTFBCcy1YNGc/edit

Just wanted to put this down in here so I don’t forget;

Cruising home today after work, car is up to temperature, had a slow driver holding up traffic so I noticed an opening and gave it a quick down shift from 3rd to 2nd, car fell on its face and lost all power even though my foot was to the floor, 3aeconds later and back to full power again and took off, I probably looked like an idiot missing a shift.

30 Min’s down the road in some stop and go traffic was Cruising along in first gear and started noticed it surging, and now it’s almost impossible to have the car run smooth in first gear, now from my memory my car has never been that great in 1st gear and I might have had this problem all along. Just seems as though the issue is getting worse. Thinking it’s time for some new HPFP’s

I talked with Jimmy and logged some info / 102/103/106/101 (see post above) but didn’t really see the values I needed, I need to get out and do some more logs.

couldn’t have been traction control I guess. Weird.

Don’t think it was the Traction control, didn’t see any lights on the dash.

I was able to replicate the issue this morning on the way to work, so I’m hoping I will be able to do the same when I’m doing some logging.

film it.

3 seconds is an eternity. I have a hard time believing 3 seconds…

You are right it’s not 3 seconds, it felt like that the first few times but it’s definitely a split second of power loss then right back to full power.

I tried to film it but I have no mounting equipment for my phone and I don’t own a gopro, I finally get my hexnet vagcom this weekend, so I’ll be uploading a bunch of logs soon.