Shoot-the-Shit Thread

Eddie can absolutely shred, no doubt about that. Not sure exactly who started finger tapping, and whether it was on Bass first…but Van Halen made it mainstream and is absolutely up there as one of the top 3-5 most influential guitarists of all time. I remember in the dorms this one guy would always practice Eruption lol…took a really specific effects setup to get it right: phaser/flanger, delay, tremelo…but that guy could do it.

I used to love (trying) to play panama.

On the topic of influential guitar players - gotta go with James Hetfield. The way he plays guitar is so unique and powerful and it made metal metal. I really don’t care for “lead” guitar players in bands. To me the rhythm player is the lead player. He makes the song.

Hetfield definitely made metallica (Lars too), such an epic song writer. Love how musical the arrangements were and the different types of riffs. The riffs were still good post black album, song writing maybe not. Telling how well the music worked with the sf symphony. Awesome band live too…pretty much play the entire catalog note for note.

The anti-Metallica for being anti-napster video? Wow I’ve gotta tell you I never came close to understanding why folks felt that Metallica were either doing wrong or doing their fans a disservice or whatever it was back then.

I’m after a JHM tune at the moment right? Suppose I became aware of a channel to acquire the tune for free via piracy. Suppose I did it. I would get hammered to the wall through my nut sack if I were found out, and you’d express sympathy to JHM. Very rightfully.

But skip back 15 years and it’s Metallica Napster. The equivalent today is for someone to make a video like that Metallica one posted above featuring the guys at JHM being crybabies.

So ya see…it don’t add up. Fuck that Metallica Napster video. It’s just all wrong.

Yeah, I don’t mind buying music for my favourite bands. Ironically I will buy a CD and never ever play it. Just convert to MP3 and load it on my devices/memory cards.

As for Metallica, I think the black album is full of awesome songs. They were just more produced (is that so bad?) and they were radio friendly…as in the songs were 4min30s long instead of 7:15. The band made a conscious decision to go big and capitalize on their success, and reaching the public through the radio was the way to do that. I don’t fault that at all.

The songs were still great. You’re going to tell me that Sad But True, God that Failed and Misery are not fantastic? And are ‘sellout’ songs? Good luck. Sandman was great but just got overplayed to death but the first time you heard it, you thought it rocked the fuck out. If Sandman and Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters were all 7 minutes long, that album would never have received such public acclaim, Metallica would still be underground, and MET fans would all be lauding the album as a heroic collection of songs. But they were 4 minutes, got played on radio, and all of a sudden metallica wasn’t in the shadows…they were mainstream, so lots of people who need to be different said they were no longer cool. I think that’s a crock.

Even load and reload aren’t that bad, but they don’t have that edge. They just don’t have that feeling that you’ve accidentally put a classical album on with overdrive distorting the sound, which some of the early albums did. So for me I started losing interest in that music.

If we want to walk through their albums,
Kill em all was pretty good, but they were basically a bunch of 19 year olds ,and it’s reflected in the simplicity of it.
Lightning was great up and down
Puppets was even better
Justice is my favourite Metallica album. The whole thing is just pure as hell, and is their peak if you ask me.
Black is good, but different.
Load/Reload not a disaster, but not my style
St Anger was a mess. I still can’t figure out WTF made them do what they did to the drum tuning, or what all the crazy time signature changes are about.
Magnetic is pretty solid. Lots of good songs, and back to the music heavy style. Not as good as 2-3-4 though.

The covers/garage album is fun, but not their music so I don’t rate it at all.

Lightning was a sea change…that’s when they really became something I loved. Lightning Puppets and Justicw are just worn out on my memory cards. Love them so much.

look at Diamond Darrell lol. Youngsauce.

Awwww man that’s tough to look at. Such a tragedy, what happened to Darrell Abbott. He was so good. Another amazing rhythm player.

You know the signature line in Cowboys from Hell, the reference to the “12 gauge.” Incidentally, the guy who killed Abbott was then killed by police via point blank blast from a 12 gauge. It’s a nice thing to cling to.

Not sure if this was subtly directed at me, but if so, we’re in complete agreement. That’s why I said “post black album”…I love the black album. Solo to Nothing Else Matters was the first time I played something legit above the 12th fret. Also, nothing else matters is a pretty long song…definitely not 4 minutes.

Love ‘Tuesday’s Gone’ on the garage album. Speaking of southern rock, anyone a fan of the Allman brothers band? Duane Allman was the man, wrote the main lick in Clapton’s Layla. I can listen to Live from the Fillmore East over and over…

nah, just in general

I am, nothing like southern rock during a summer party Skynard was always my favorite but I like it all.

Haha yup, just not the kid rock versions 8)

seriously, can’t stand that guy. I went a show when they were touring together and we walked out during his first song.

Cruising Jeep listings on autotrader. Saw a 2007 2 door private sale for $9,500 - ok that’s a top end price - “400,000km, needs an engine”

I think maybe some flaming is in order…?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/nj-governor-chris-christie-spent-dollar300k-of-taxpayers-money-on-food/ar-BBjCqH9

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/swap-insanity-a-lamborghini-diablo-packing-a-480-horse-ls3/

Hilarious article - says the Diablo was a theft recovery and that the car was stolen so the engine and tranny could be harvested. Either 1.) that’s b.s., the engine and tranny were swapped out because they were spent; car was never stolen, owner chose to put in a $7,000 crate engine over a $25,000 rebuild of the Lambo powertrain or 2.) car WAS stolen for the drivetrain to be harvested, meaning the thief was the one with a Diablo with a spent powertrain, and he chose to steal a set rather than spend $25,000 on a rebuild. Either way, there was a Diablo with a spent powertrain and somebody opted for a crate engine or theft over a rebuild. So - purists may not be happy.

At best there was a guy who borrowed $80,000 to buy the car 4 years ago, drove it a ton, can’t afford the rebuild so stuck in the LS3.

At worst there was a guy who drove his Diablo a ton, can’t afford the rebuild so stole a Diablo to get the powertrain. In the process leaving the other Diablo owner engine-less, having to stick in a crate engine to keep driving the car.

amazing how small it is in there…

http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2015/05/diablo-3.jpg

Seen Hetfield live a few times now. Great performance.

FINALLY… common ground. There’s hope for us yet.

I Just got an AMD Stage3+ Clutch installed in my 2000 B5 S4. So far it feel amazing!!! I am still breaking it in so I can’t go over 4500 RPM but It feels so smooth until that range. Since Wednesday I have put 600KM of downtown city driving (Driving non stop for 4 1/2 - 5 hours a day). It is such a bitch to break it in but all good things come with patients. Im going to put 1500 kms of downtown city driving before I even try to go over 4500 RPM. I will keep you guys posted on how the break in period goes! Im so exited to launch it!!!

Big fan of the abb. Unfortunate that even the latest rendition is again no more.

Favorite “current” “southern” jam band far and away is widespread panic. Been listening and seeing them over past 20 years. Highlight was double bill with abb in Chicago for abb 40th anniversary. Awesome!