Slight knocking

Hi Guys.

Hope everyone is well,

So not sure if this is just me imagining sounds or if I have an issue.

Recently I’ve noticed a slight knock sound coming from drivers side wheel area. I have a feeling this could be a couple of things.

1. The wheel lining, I think this as it’s already abit messy from when my undertray plastic cover crap under car came off. I’ve ripped abit more off that was loose and might have sorted.

2. I think it might relate to the lower control arm bushes or something.

3. Loose strut maybe

I’m just wondering if there are any simple things I can do to try see if can diagnose if I have an issue. Is there anything I can do that might be able to help diagnose without ripping car apart.

No warning lights and I ran down drag strip yesterday and seemed to perform quite well. Though did seem abit snakey at bout 100mph however I think this is due to end of drag strip recently been resurfaced so when hit that newer stuff was abit scary.

Also how can I post my videos on here of my drag runs

Just to add I just noticed this :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

WTF is this about, can’t say I’m impressed so far with the P4S Michellins, durability is clearly a concern.

What the hell has happened to this

Sorry about the Michelin’s, I’ve always had good luck but they’re not a cheap tire, any warrantee left in them?
You sound like you’re heading in the right directin being a control arm. The uppers usually go before the lowers but as a whole they don’t seem to last too long. Hard to see visually if it is just starting. Sometimes you can put a spanner across the flat portion of some of the arms and torque them a little side to side while inspecting the bushings for cracks in the rubber which pretty much disappear when unloaded. How many miles on the vehicle? Rare for them to go past 50~60k miles.

So wheel will be off tomorrow for a new tyre so I’ll have a look around. See if I can spot anything.

Cars got loads of miles on it. 104.000 now.
I’ve done about 25,000 in that myself so wouldn’t surprise me and to be honest a bush is better than a shock I suppose.

At that miles I would imagine the arms were replaced before you got it.

Do you think it could be the bushes

I think it definitely could be. But could it be a bad shock? Motor mount?

I’m hoping not a bad shock

Top mount perhaps, I do feel it sounds like it’s hitting top mount.

It’s only when going real slow and not all the time either. If going over slow bumps, I hate issues like this,.end up costing a fortune diagnosing as can guarantee the issue is the last thing you try changing

Usually bad bushings in the lower control arms are quite noticeable at slow speeds right when you accelerate or tap the brake pedal.

I lowered mine on JHM springs and it knocks pretty badly over slow bumps. I’m taking everything apart when some other parts come in. I believe it’s the top hat. There has to be some play between the top nut and the top hat, or a bushing failed completely.

If it’s the bushes Ive been looking at the powerflex ones apparently more durable. Can anyone recommend.

@hahnmgh63 - is always spot on. I think he’s got you pointed in the right direction on the knocking. Bushings and control arms can look ok at first glance but once you get closer you can tell the bushing is gone and that is almost always the knocking or clunking at low speeds.

Especially if you don’t feel it in the body or steering wheel - When it comes to replacement of bushings especially when they are the control bushings. I’d tend to say just look for a good deal on replaements in OEM form… They really last a good chunk of time and you don’t want to really go too harsh.

Lastly you can load a video or picture by dragging it into your post or if the video is live hosted on a specific place. You can drop a link in the thread

Like this

Testing

Thanks Guys,

I’ve just had tyre changed.
Michelin going to investigate it for me to see why it seperated as it did.

I had a look at the arms and bushes too but could see anything wrong with the eyes. I’m no mechanic at all though.

I’ll keep ears open next few days and maybe get it in for a check at a garage

Defo something not right. Time I think to get some pricing to get some bushes then I think

1 Like

Booked in on Monday to get checked out. Will keep you posted

Shock absorber has gone. What do you guys recommend. That’s not going to kill my wallet

Probably just factory replacement. Each Shock body is about $200. When my suspension gives out I’m going coilvers and full 034 bushings with all new arms. Probably only $2000 for all of it.

Garage just quoted me £2000 to replace front absorbers with OEM ones.

I’ve seen full aftermarket kits for less.

Problem is I don’t have £2000

I have about £1000 and hoping to get something fitted within this too :pleading_face: