Switch from Revo to GIAC

So… more and more it’s looking like I’m keeping my '14 S4 and as such considering moving on from the Revo tune I got a year or so ago to something with a little more potential. Aside from Revo obviously not being the “fastest” tune, they also don’t seem to be interested in updating or improving their tune for the B8- based on the website and FB their main efforts are in the Ford ST’s & VAG 2.0’s. It appears GIAC is the way to go for my B8.5 but what I’m wondering (and messaged GIAC about on AZ but haven’t heard back on yet) is can I keep my Revo pulley which I believe is virtually the same size as the AWE pulley and can I still use my Revo TCU tune, which honestly I’ve had no trouble with to this point. I assume I’ll get a reply at some point but wonder if anyone here has made this transition or has any thoughts about it otherwise.
Thanks

The pulley is identical, but they will make you buy theirs. All you need is the serial from it to get them to activate the stg2 software. You can keep the revo pulley installed so you don’t have to pay for labor again.

Shame to see Revo isnt going to do anything with the B8 but maybe its best. Better to leave it to the companys that are already doing very well . GIAC is a good choice if you PMd them I would think it might take a while for them to get back with you. It might have been better to just email them.

I would be interested in seeing if they will do anything for you on the pulley. I can see it from there stand point if they dont but it will be interesting to hear what they say. I also think the same thing on the TCU tune. I think they might make you switch due to how that adds a siuation to the mix if you have any issues down the road.

Even if you had to switch over. they ususally have sales a few times a year and I would think that you could also find most of the pulley stuff second hand to get the part number off. GIAC seems very involved with the 3.0t and they are top of the game on the side of the newer cars with the transmission tunes.

you’ll be able to still use your REVO pulley and the TCU should technically work with the GIAC. I have inquired about purchasing a used AWE pulley in the past, however I was told that the pulley serial # is locked to particular stage II software upgrade and any future upgrades for that particular ECU.

You may have to purchase the AWE pulley, keep the serial #, and just re-sell it online for someone who wants a quality pulley and obtain software from the likes of another tuning company who doesn’t care which pulley you have.

Thanks for the info all- I called nearest GIAC dealer in Baltimore and he’s going to check and get back with me. I’ll report back what he says.

Prompt reply from dealer and they say the GIAC recommends the pulley switch and the TCU change.

What result are you trying to achieve? Is it quantifiable or just “faster”.

I think that is a fair question - both I’d say, quantifiably faster. I guess in due diligence I should head to the track to see what my car runs now, then I’ll know what I’m comparing to. Maybe I have the one freak car that is quicker than most Revo cars I’ve seen slips for- who knows.

There are freak revo cars?

Just freakishly slow I thought…

I think this makes a lot of sense and is a great place to start. Get an idea on where your car is at performance wise and then you can just look at the list on here to see how you stack up against the GIAC cars.

Not that I have seen, but maybe mine is the one? :wink:

My revo does OK for 6MT :wink:

I don’t know if I’d drop a couple grand replacing a $3000 tune that works fine. There’s probably other things you can do, if you have a real goal.

Exactly…2000k worth of tuning for a max of what…30hp? Not worth it. These are not race cars. Functional sport sedans. Every tuning company will offer a quality tune with a great amount of increased power. I’m sure the REVO tune is very competitive with the others. Want a race car? Trade in the S4 for a 996/7. :wink:

Eh, I was passing Boxster PCA GT3 spec cars all day yesterday. And the new 991 S.

I hear you but the same could be said about everyone that has an aftermarket exhaust, no? To each his own :wink:

Finally ordered the LW wheel & tire set up I posted about in February, should be here on 4/15 and will see how everything works on 4/22 @ my first test and tune.

https://goo.gl/photos/t9SZBw2DwAwrmk4YA

Got my OZ/PSS setup installed today but found something really strange on the left side. Both wheels were shaved like this on the drivers side with no evidence of them hitting anything, the upper control arm and steering knuckle show nothing, the shop is baffled as am I.

I’m not sure i can post pics and hope the link works, put on a pic of one of the damaged wheels and the car after wheel install, albeit a dirty/pollen covered car.

Car wash - sorry , I should have figured that one out before posting.

I’m going to make the switch from Revo in the near future too. I’ve had some mediocre track result and I’m looking for a bit more. Giac is definitely a contender, but I’m going to wait to see what JHM and 034 offer. I’ll probably switch to a dual pulley setup at that time too.

Actually, I just sent JHM a message to see where they’re at on their tune and when they might release. I sure wish I could stick with Revo but they have move on from the platform.