Went to track today (round 2)

Met a couple other Audi enthusiasts up at Sac speedway today. Was a good time. Weather was warmer than I expected. I wish they were open at night time during the colder months. I don’t operate a track obviously, but it would seem to make more sense to be open when conditions were better i.e. colder? But whatever. At least they are open year round. Looking at drag times DA was 360, so can’t really complain about that I guess.

2nd time ever going and I made my personal best a couple times, ha! No excuses, but my clutch was slipping like a mofo. First 3 hot lapped runs were a disaster, slipped all the way down the track. I shut her down and was contemplating saying fuck it. I need to get this bitch home anyway. But, after an hour of seeing everyone else having fun, I turned my boost down a bit with hopes that the reduced power output might allow my clutch to hold. For whatever reason(s), it worked. After a handful of shitty 13+ runs with 2+ 60-ft, I finally broke into high 12’s twice, still with 2+ 60-ft. Last run (personal best) I “cut” a 1.87 and final et 12.4 @ 115.

As soon as I popped 1st, it felt different and I figured it could be a decent run (for me). Car launched quick and 2nd hooked up nice. 3-4 was smooth and the resulting slip showed it.

Mix of race/pump gas in the tank. Still feels like there should be more in the car, but clutch won’t even hold the power it has as it is. Oh well.

Two others I met ran 12.1 @ 120+ (ft21 and e85) and 12.6 @ 112 (ko4 and pump/race mix). My old ko4’s actually. PinoyS4 and his brother met me up there. Good guys!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/01/ybyteqa3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/01/u3utezy8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/01/9y7esa3a.jpg

look at what happens when you get a good supporting cast… We all said that clutch wasn’t going to make it. ur 12.4 is nice its great to be able to turn up and down the booost. The E85 and only 12.1 what a shitty result that is. That is pure race gas pluss you would expect a better time…

you got that horse off your back. 12.4 is not bad for a piss 91 and race mix. I bet if you got a good clutch and a little more seat time you could get 11s easy.

I don’t know how shitty that e85 result is really? Faster than my 12.4 ;D

Definitely plan on getting back to track when it gets even cooler. Need to decide if I’m going to swap in a new clutch sooner than later or wait til it fully shits the bed.

85 is alcohol its better then 109 and its cools better then standard fuel. 12.4 slipping clutch and a mix vs E85… Not good.

The track isn’t open when its cold at night because only a few cars that go down the track have AWD. Most cars are RWD and that spells danger when the track is too cold.

clutch… drive the car over the next week. See how the clutch feels. The clutch is closer to OEM then race so it should be ok. You know it wont hold power so wait for a holiday sale and get a good one from JHM with a flywheel. I would change it before your stuck on the side of the road.

Who went 12.1@120 on alcohol? Pinoy? Who’s tuning that for him?

For perspective of why Chris doesn’t think it’s that great, pinoy once went 11.5 @ 125 with k04 turbos and a jhm tune for race gas. Five years ago.

Good job happy2b5. It’s fun to get thru a barrier like that. Did you scream when you got the slip?

If you get your clutch sorted your car should comfortably be able to go 11.x @ 120

Any videos?

Great work happy2b5! I’ll bet he did scream when he got the slip.

Yep. Was pretty damn thrilled…honestly was more like wtf, really!?

And my race mix was c16/pump.

I know pinoys old car has run better times…he knows that…his car is running giac e85 tune and lowered boost for engine longevity (rods) as far as I know…and is avant vs sedan.

Coolest part was how much pinoy and his bro were encouraging and cheering after my last pass. Pinoy in stands and his brother ran right after me in same lane and I just met these guys yesterday 8)

Sorry I have no video. Pinoys bro might. Pretty damn cool watching the avants pack up all their swag, throw the family in the car and roll out, classic.

And I’ll most likely be getting a clutch soon, leaning toward south bend stg 3 drag clutch. Car drove fine on way home. Seemed to hold just fine on heavy load high gear pulls on hwy. I did notice what seemed to be a slight over boosting issue though. Just a couple psi surge that would then dip back down that couple psi and hold?

Also looking over my other slips I see two other 12.9 runs had 60-ft of 2.0x…1.8x 60-ft on 12.4…that old “false” adage of .1 at start = .2 at end appears to have held true comparing those runs at least?

Car#8 btw

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/7ehyzu9e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/6y3e5yty.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/ysydu4y4.jpg

GIAC makes sense.
don’t know why anyone still buys southbend anything still. I wouldn’t get anything that says drag clutch in it. If there is no SAC don’t get it. If they advertise it as a SAC with the term drag clutch don’t get it.

.1= .2ET is a good rule but it isn’t always true when your car is out of the calulator groove. There is a good formula for 60ft 300ft and then 1/8th mile to help calulate your 1/4mile time. Guys with super lag think that the 60ft will get them from 11s to 10s

Really, south bend clutches no good huh?

Nice runs Haps!

I have a SB stage 3 enduro, no problems here.

Congrats on your new best, that’s always a good feeling…

Thanks guys! It was a little dicey early on but turned out to be a good time for sure.

Jupiter - l’ve looked at the endurance and from what I gather, its a good setup, but the kevlar surface turns me off a little. Might not be the best for launches? I have yet to take my car on any road race events which I believe the endurance is best suited for vs. the strip. The drag is a ceramic/organic mix that is supposed to be less prone to glazing over following launches? I dont know? I will talk with jhm and get their insight to help make my decision…theirs is on sale right now, and close to 1/2 the price of the SB

If you’re bogging the hell out of a small V6 that has 2 fairly large turbos, you’ll miss boost and limp out, so the ‘adage’ or anything is pretty much out the window. You could lose 10 tenths in that situation. A friend with a frankenturbo car cut a 2.1 60’ and went 13.5 @ 114. Bogged like crazy, limped through the first gear, got into boost and then boogeyed pretty good.

^ makes sense. And I’m a total track noob so very difficult to draw many solid comparisons or tendencies based on my skills or lack there of.

Get those guys to give you some pointers?

Would have been good if you could go with JHM when they’re there. Ask them if they’re planning on heading back to the strip with their S5 or A4 or anything soon.

I will. Having Pinoy there was very helpful. I’m not complaining just saying.

I completely agree re: road course application vs drag strip (launching). I only mentioned the SB because it’s what I’m currently using. I wouldn’t hesitate on JHM’s especially with their sale price.

Dropping into the 12’s must have been a great feeling!

that was a great run Jeff. i was so excited for you when you cut that time. we’ll go back soon but i’ll be on c16 and more than 22lbs of boost this time ;D it was fun having you there and watching you progress and get better times. my sons had alot of fun too!

You and yours are good people in my book! We definitely will return to the track for some more runs (hopefully quicker!)

J O was so excited I missed his phone call when I was rolling back through picking up my slip. Hilarious. Then his brother pulled in behind me jumped out of his car to high five. Pretty funny.