When going built with a B5 - what's the cost?

Just trying to ballpark, so no need to go nuts on the cost of shipping or state tax etc. What are the approximate costs of going built (well) with a B5 S4? Not gold plated, diamond studded…but a good build, doing it right, with a good shop (you can decide what a good shop is).

Also, what’s a ‘nice’ B5 S4 going to cost these days for one with say 100,000 miles on it or around there. Not a whore…just a car that has had a couple of owners and has normal to low miles.

a motor build that will support 550-600 whp, doing it right

bigger turbos than K04 (RS6, RS6r, GT, Tials, whatever)

tuning

fuelling

intercooling

full exhaust

car (see above for description)

Anyone have educated ballpark guesses? With built motor options for the B6/7 S4 showing up here and with the B7 RS4 about to get a couple of monster power supercharger options to complement the 500 whp TTS kits already available, I was just looking at the numbers and costs for the various platforms. Always interesting to compare.

Previously you would get absolutely RAPED on a cost basis doing any comparison to the B5 S4with the more expensive Audis. Just want to know how bad that rape is currently.

No guess on the build costs but I sold my Nogaro 2000 B5 S4 about 2ish years ago when it had 42,xxx miles and was pretty much in mint condition… I posted on craiglists and had about 10 inquiries within 12 hours… Sold it for $11,500 to the first responder… Probably could have gotten more… Not sure this helps as I’m probably not a typical car owner in terms of how much I drive them and what kind of care I take of them but figured I would mention my selling price anyway…

You can pick up a clean one all day ling for 10k, spend closer to 15 and you will get a NICE one or something clean with other supporting mods like brakes, suspension, diffs and so on.

As for the build, if you are speaking strictly power, 10k should he budgeted for a long block build if paying a shop. All in it can approach 20k very fast for customers wanting a reliable setup at 600ish whp. Often over looked are items like fueling, good downpipes, intercoolers…

When people email me or call me and they are starting from scratch, no car yet I level with them and say if you don’t have 30-40k to budget overall then they need to aim lower and do a ko4 type car or pick another platform.

oh snap, so it’s that much^^^? I knew the builds were far more expensive than most people realise, but that’s pretty big.

So about $10k for building the block, then about $4k for turbos?

How much for tuning and fuelling…$2000? $3,000?

Intercooling if you go ER works out to what…about $1500?

Exhaust I’m sure you can do it nicely for $1500?

That’s where all this ghetto booty fab shit comes in, because people start and run out of money after blowing 15k and realize they are still looking at a pile of parts.

Turbos can range from 3-5k

Intercoolers 800-1500 w/ shrouds

Fueling, minus the tune depends on what kinda overhead you want. My fuel systems are always overkill so people can run ethanol and my cheapest system is 2899, they still need injectors and that easily 600-800 depending on size and brand.

Ecu tune can range from 500 for street tuning or log/revision type tunes to 2000+ after a visit or two with a awd dyno.

On twin cars the downpipes alone are going to be 1000-1800, catback can add another 1000

Don’t forget, meth systems (if used, 500-1000), wideband systems (250-500), clutch and flywheel (1500-4500)… It’s a slippery slope when shooting big and paying a shop to do it for you.

Let’s not forget labor. My last two kinda run if the mill big power builds had over 50 hours billed. At my shop any thing that goes over 40 hours gets a lowered rate (50 hr vs 75) to help. It’s not crazy for these projects to eat up twice that in time depending on the customers wants and needs. For instance if I were to replicate my car it would be well over 100 hrs.

What kind of hourly rates? $75/hr?

Not in Cali…except for ST apparently. I am surprised he is that low. Minimum $85 at my local Indy and up over $100+ at well known specialty shops…

Wishful thinking I suppose. But from what I have heard most of the guys who actually do the work only get about half of the hourly rate. The rest goes to the dealership/shop. I was thinking if snow trooper owns the shop maybe he gives a better rate since he wouldn’t have to be padding the pockets so to speak.

My rates are lower than most Cali shops because I can. I am always booked, basically a one man show and yes own it. I have numerous rates tho. 99% of my customers encourage me to raise my rates to weed more people and cut their wait times down, because they are accustomed to the 150+ rates at other German shops. I am comfortable there though.

Standard Mech work, r&r is 75
Ecu tuning is 100 or flat rate on the project
Fabrication is 85-140 depending on the metal type
Transportation is 50
Track support is 250 but all inclusive
Dyno time depends on the dyno rental rate but I always mark that up by 50/hr

Very interesting.

When we get more info about the B6 S4 built motor program at JHM…and then see what the JHM and AMD RS4 are able to accomplish, it will be really interesting to compare performance/power per dollar. I think a lot of people will be shocked.

Snowtrooper, if someone came to you and said ‘I have $45,000 to spend on a nicely put together car and I want to threaten the 10s in the quartermile, trap 125+ without requiring race fuel or tuning around meth, have quattro, 4 doors etc (a nice daily driver).’

What would you recommend?

That’s probably a bad questions since you are a B5 guy, but do you think there’s going to be a case to be made for something other than the B5 here soon? I think it’s going to be interesting to see how people go about this. The B8 S4 is definitely interesting but is a budget killer, and you’re still stuck fighting the uphill displacement battle with a 3.0.

At this time if we are limiting that to 4 door audis the b5 still makes the most sense. It’s lighter, has more options, cheapest starting point and you can get to those goals without going hog wild. The engine could literally be box stock other than rods. Turbos can be run of the mill kkk stuff.

Eventually my drivetrain will be in a b7 RS4 once my chassis falls apart. It’s already well on its way. I’m not really a b5 guy, just an Audi guy.

That would be funny to see. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet, as the B7 RS4 looks great, but the fucking engine is a mint to replace. There have been 3-4blown out of warrant that I know about. Wonder what a shell would cost.

I almost bought a blown engine shell for 12k but i was outbid in the last hour, it went for 14.5

holy shit really? That’s a frigging steal. Seats, wheels, headlights, fenders, mirrors etc. would get you pretty good money back. Never mind the transmission and aluminium hood and fenders.

Exactly, I was going to part it down to a gutted roller and do the swap, chassis would have been free in the end. The guy who bought it fixed it, it was a hydro lock situation and it ended up only needing minor work to the engine.

Have been watching for flood cars.

I just sold my 2002 JHM STG2 B5 S4 with 75k miles for 10k, if that can give you an idea.

[quote=“sakimano,post:10,topic:4225”]
Just my .02 but it would be fun to try with a 2003 RS6… $20-25 for the car would leave $20-25 for upgrading and it would be much more unique…

you cant afford it pal!

Hey you, b!tch boy! And don’t act as if I’m not talking to you.
You couldn’t afford the $100 that was needed to run your least at MIR, because if you did, he might have been asking you the same question.

[quote=“primetime,post:17,topic:4225”]

I think the rs6 is a really cool car but it’s so damn old now and maintenance and reliability are not fun. Marc of tenseconds4 fame had a couple and they were plenty quick.