Will it blend? (BritishTurbo build)

You should start a seperate thread here with a link to your AZ build thread. Then You can just update us so we can take a look. The work your doing I’d amazing and I hope your S4 is a monster. People like me dream of having the skills and access to the equipment you do!

why^^^ we can always just edit this thread title.

Thread updated:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/505784-My-first-Audi-2001-5-S4-with-Custom-Single-Turbo-setup/page31

your temp motor build is cleaner than most people’s permanent motor builds…Lol tell me you’ve moved this project somewhere inside already?

Thanks… yeah I’m anal about a motor going together clean… There’s no reason you should get dirty putting an engine together.

Car is still outside right now, depending on the weather I might put the engine back in inside the garage once I have the temp one built… Not enough room to have a car in there and multiple engines lol.

Short Block Sunday :

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/505784-My-first-Audi-2001-5-S4-with-Custom-Single-Turbo-setup?p=8567918&viewfull=1#post8567918

Added some updates this morning. I called it Meticulous Monday lol

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/505784-My-first-Audi-2001-5-S4-with-Custom-Single-Turbo-setup?p=8569941&viewfull=1#post8569941

Those cylinder walls are shiny. Did you use a 240 grit? Also curious to know what size hone you went with 3" or 3-1/4"? Flex hone says to up-size when in between measurements, but their ball hones already come over-sized.

This block came with the rods and pistons in it. The guy I got it from said it had low compression in cylinder 6.
Well on inspection cylinder 6 didn’t have all of the oil scraper instaled lol so no wonder it didn’t have as good compression as the others. The rings were supposedly new with 500 miles but I don’t take chances.
So I got all new rings and use a hand hone to break the glaze and give a nice fresh surface to seat the rings.

This wasn’t a ball hone it was a stone hone from Advanced Auto lol. It has two ranges, 2" to 4" and 4" to 7". I think they were either 220 or 240 grit.
The walls show up a lot shinier in the pics than they really are lol.

2.8 Heads should be showing up this week for it. I’m excited to get the engine built and in the car!

220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Cool. I know some people use 180, but I believe I will opt for the 240 (flexhone’s next one up from the 180); I’m just deglazing as well. My cylinder walls look pretty good @ 85K, but if I stare hard enough with light I can see 2 vertical lines on 2 cylinders. I’m likely putting too much emphasis on it.

BT, you sure do move fast with this build. I thought things were going to go a little stagnate for a while after the tuning blip, but I was wrong.

Well I had a busy month at work… I had 2 or 3 trips to customers and worked something like 100 hrs OT int he month lol so time was a problem haha.
But I was working on the 3.0 build… getting parts and stuff for it. But I miss the car too much, so figured I’d throw a stock motor in it temp to get running… but then I got this block and so had an extra set of rods and decided to do it right!

I really don’t want to give away details of the 3.0 build until it’s bolted together… but I believe I have a solution for bottom end strength ready for it and about a half dozen billet parts to make for other parts on the engine…
It should be pretty sweet! Now with this temp engine I won’t feel the need to rush the 3.0… I’ll do everything how I want it :slight_smile:

I can tell you the 3.0 will have the following:
JE 3.0 pistons
3.0 crank
DM rods
2.8 heads - CNC ported by me, they are out west getting valve jobs right now for +1mm valves
+1mm Supertech Intake valves
+1mm Supertech Inconel Exhaust valves
Supertech springs etc
Billet CNC intake manifold (need to get cracking on making this)

The rest of there parts have some surprises in store :wink:

That 3 liter build is going to be nice. I’m curious to see what comes out of the new parts your making as well as that manifold.

Mr. Mom!

nice!

I thought you guys might enjoy this.
It’s a shot from my cad model of an audi 2.7/3.0 bottom end that I’m working on for some some of my parts I’m making. Still working on it but I think it’s neat:

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q755/britishturbo/inventor30_zps99bb8b5e.png

nice work, looks like inventor?

Yepp. Inventor 2013 Pro.

cool, we use 2011 Pro at the plant I work at, supposed to get an update soon (IT never did the previous years since they stopped sending us discs lol)

loooks good. Just remember to put the main caps back on your you will have some issues when you start the car up ;D