3.2 mod interest.

Hey everyone,

New to AR here, current member of audizine but that forum is heavily biased towards the forced induction applications. After browsing the B6 section on this forum and finding the JHM thread for the B6 3.0, i started thinking. As an owner of a 3.2, im very disappointed with the lack of market for this platform. I love my car and it cannot be denied that the motor has great potential with the proper parts. But it cannot be ignored that the car in stock form is definitely not quick enough. I wanted to hear what everyone thought about getting parts developed for the 3.2 platform and what everything thinks we need to get some power added to the car. I think something along the lines of cat-less downpipes, intake manifold spacers, ecu & tcu tune, and maybe a meth injection system. What do you guys think?

Lol!!! I spent hours going through audizine messaging 3.2L guys and telling them to come here, and then you just walk in. Oh the irony.

Yes, I agree! The 3.2 is another awesome n/a motor. I would message JHM directly to inquire about a tune, since it would be a one-off thing it is going to be more expensive than an off the shelf solution (probably around $1000)

but in theory you are taking an engine with 30+ more hp than ours stock and giving it a comparable peformance gain, seems like money well spent to me. If you can get enough interest with the 3.2 guys maybe they can do a marketed tune as well.

If I was you, I would do as much research as you can on the motor, and present it here, I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable members might know a thing or two about it already.

Welcome…the home of NA tuning ;D

I was actually wondering how long it would take the 3.2 guys to show up.

I dont see why what is happening with the 3.0 would not work for the 3.2 (I have a soft spot for that engine), but you would have to get a car to JHM…looks like Meistah beat me to it.

Now on a more serious note, pics or ban…dont become like the S5/A5 guys on here

You’re absolutely right!! I will definitely research the engine more to see what its potential and possible limitations will be. Its funny because i ran into the JHM thread in the B6 section for the 3.0, so today i decided to email JHM and ask about the parts they are developing and whether of not they would fit the 3.2. I was lead to believe that JHM is indeed in the process of making some bolt-on parts for the 3.2, but they would like to see some opinions much like the thread for the 3.0 parts. I was also told to make a post on AudiRevolution because it is more “technical” friendly and that audizine is more biased towards the 2.0t and that i would get flamed. Based off of you’re response, I’m glad i posted here. :slight_smile:

Meistah for the win man great Idea. I think the 3.2 guys need to have the same ability to talik like we did in the 3.0

mtosofsky indeed welcome to teh forum. The 3.2 is a great motor and I think its a great open platform for development. I agree with going on AZ and getting your friends or like minded peiople to come here and have them post. They don’t even need to be posting ttechnical stuff. Its tgoing to start with gathering the 3.2 guys and alolowing them to talk without the bombardment of the 2.0T class poping in and trying to start a platform war. Considering what performance Ive seen out of my car with the help of audirevolution its members and JHM I would say that your in the right place and its the start of something exhating for you

Trying to draw parallels here, but is the 3.2 fsi more related to the 4.2 fsi than the “last gen” 3.0? Either way, their tuner is clearly some kind of ninja with both and I’m sure, like with the other platforms, exhaust, piggies and tune will be a worthy project!

[quote]but is the 3.2 fsi more related to the 4.2 fsi
[/quote]
Okay guys i was doing a pit of research and compare between the 2.7tt, 3.0, 3.2, and 4.2 motors and i believe that the 3.2fsi motor would be most comparable to the 4.2fsi…minus the added 2 cylinders of course. But is still comparable to the 3.0 because the biggest difference is the increase of piston bore (82.5mm on the 3.0)(84.5 for the 3.2) this is of course why the engine became a 3.2 and has higher compression. All of the motors are considered to be “undersquare engines.” This means that the bore (diameter) of the piston is small than the stroke (length the piston travels in the block). Supposedly these types of motors are meant to be powerful at low rpm and are not to be high revving. How ever there are a few exceptions where undersqaure motors are good at making highspeed(rpm) power…these motors being some of them. I will post my findings for everyone to browse…
http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Audi/699/Audi-A4-(B7)-S4-4.2-V8-Quattro.html
http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Audi/3869/Audi-A4-(B7)-3.2-FSI-V6-Quattro.html
http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Audi/3834/Audi-A4-(B5)-S4-Quattro.html
[url]http://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Audi/3838/Audi-A4-(B6)-3.0-Quattro.html[/url

The major thing that would hurt the 3.2 motor if considering forced induction would be its super high compression ratio. This motor seems to be designed to make a lot of power n/a and to be high revving. It shares the same bore/stroke as the 4.2, however it does not benefit from having 5 valves per cylinder much like the 4.2 and 3.0. I think that the 3.0 would be a good platform to start forced induction because its compression ratio is only 1 away from that of the 2.7tt, which can handle about 500hp on a stock motor. I think because of the high compression of the 3.2,having some bolt ons, such as downpipes, would allow for some high power increases at higher rpm…much more than what the 3.0 would gain. Not to forget meth injection, which is known to add some good power on boosted vehicles as well as add good gains to high compression to N/A motors.

yeah the 3.2/4.2/5.2 fsi motors are all very close, 90* v angle, alusil, 84.5mm bore with 90mm bore spacing, 4v heads, 12.5:1 compression, and I believe all have chains.

The 4v vs 5v isnt a huge concern, and the compression ratio of the motor is offset by the cooling from gdi. undersquare motors can rev, its just requires better components becuase the piston speed will be higher for a given displacement and rpm.

Like all the N/A motors, move/remove the cats, good catback, good tune and it should feel like a new car. Skip the meth, just use good fuel and you’ll do better.

[quote]Like all the N/A motors, move/remove the cats, good catback, good tune and it should feel like a new car. Skip the meth, just use good fuel and you’ll do better.
[/quote]
I couldn’t have said it better myself ;D

nooooo, no more of this, back to the V8 Revolution!

j/k, great strides in the N/A engine by JHM and the parts they’ve created are now easily adaptable to many motors with the same improvements.

Hahah, good point. I’m sure they will give the v8 some more love in the near future… At least you guys have dp options we have nothingg.

I’ll be really excited if something takes off for the 3.2 guys. There’s a member of our local audi club who has a 3.2 TT, I’ll try to take it for a spin as I’ve never experienced that engine before.

I think downpipes would be the biggest benefit to release some high rpm power. I was driving my car on the highway this evening and low to mid rpm feels strong, but then above say 4500 rpm it feels like its running out of breath. Let the 3.2 breath!!!

A 3.2tt sounds amazing. I wouldnt mind throwing the gt35r off of my friends B5 s4 onto my car!!! ;D

Don’t forget the TT’s 3.2 is the VR6 transversely mounted. Different to the 3.2 V6.

The vr6 is an amazing motor, i wish audi had utilized its technology. A friend of mine has a mk4 vw gti with the 170hp vr6. He has some bolt-ons and he spits flames and completely walks cars with 2.0t’s. But here is another question/suggestion. The only tune available for the audi 3.2 motor is made by unitronic and for 550$ its performance gains are a little lack luster. However, revo-technik has stage1-2 tunes for the 3.2vr motors. Could these tunes not be modified for the audi 3.0/3.2

mtosofsky Ill tell you first hand the unitronic tune is a complete joke for the 3.2. We were at a meet this year and one A4 guy had it. It was slower then stock. Revo is basically a stolen APR Tune as they all are and there not much more then a hyper pedal

JHM offers a beta tune that I have been in a car with that. That was my first incounter with a JHM product. Dare I say the 3.2 JHM Tune is more impressive then the 4.2 tune and thats saying alot. If your not local to jhm I think you have to wait till december to get it tho

Exactly, none of the tunes that are available right now seem to be worth it. The tune from jhm that a few of the 3.0 people are running seems to be getting amazing reviews and i cant wait for the tune to be released. Im located in south florida, so far away from jhm headquarters. I could probably send my ecu to jhm, but right now that is not possible. I also had a quick thought inspired form reading the S5 threads. We all know that the intake systems for the 3.2 dont really do much…im not sure how they work on the 3.0. The 3.2 does not function off of a MAF sensor, so it is not as sensitive to the changes from putting on an intake. While i do have an EVOMS intake(got it for a steal) i dont think it does anything. Im thinking that a tune will definitely make an intake beneficial.

^^ Now that’s some big news! A JHM 3.2 tune. Whatever tricks they discovered tuning the 4.2’s are now creeping over to the 3.0/3.2’s. I wonder what Audi makes of this.

I think the VR motors are a different proposition regarding operation. The 034 VR swap into a B5 wasn’t a straightforward drag and drop.

I helped a local guy with a 3.2 get his JHM flash as the 3.2 tunes are flash for the FSI. I was impressed what the stage 1 JHM tune did.

If your looking to do your carbon let me know Ill help tell you how to bump the motor. ;D

WOW, didn’t even know JHM already had some tunes in the work for the 3.2! I thought it was just heresy and talk of copying over the same principals to that platform (MUCH easier said then done).

I cant wait till i get the car tuned. Low end power feels nice and torquey. But i can definitely feel where the power dies up top. I also dislike the speed limiter!! Im not saying im speed racer, but sometimes its fun to push it on the highway at 3am. When i maxed out the car i was still in 5th gear at around 6000rpm. Still had 6th gear left so i think that 160mph is easily obtainable.