Brake disk options

Me again, I like to keep us all occupied.

So got advisory on MOT I need new brake disks.

I’m in no rush as I have an MOT but will need to get them done. Front and back

However before I go and start looking for them I was wondering as always anyone done any brake upgrades to there RS.

I’m presuming the RS5 brakes like every other part is same as the RS4.

Any ideas or anyone else done anything with the brakes.

Many thanks

Yes, the B8 RS4 brakes are the same. Another alternative is the C5 RS6 front rotor is a direct interchance but not the rear. I’m sure there are others in Europe but over here in the States we have Girodisc and ECS Tuning that make both 365mm (OEM SIze) and 380mm (w/caliper spacer) options. For more money Ape on here runs a company redmistracing.com that sells a Carbon disc upgrade, supposed to be better than the OEM Carbon discs (ie, lasts much longer and can be refurbished).

Really want carbon for the rear axle. But until available got https://www.ebay.de/itm/203004035458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 for xmas.

Youd be stupid to buy stock. There are zimmermanns for the front as well and virtually the same i hear as stock. They even have the wavy design (not same as above)

@hahnmgh63 and anyone else knowledgable i stripped the bleeding screw, do you think air inside i therefore did not get out while bleeding would make the braking worse even though there are two bleeding screws on the caliper? I do have to push down pretty far before i get any braking effect.

The ECS with hawk pads should work better but havent put them on but with duty will cost more than stock from audi directly. If MOT said that because they look warped or wavy the accounts are it does not matter. Also tested the braking force was ok.

Are two bleeder screws is excessive meaning I can leave it as is?

ps. I think ECS tuning are heavier than stock so I would go for @Ape_Factory 's option if I did not already have them.

Maybe I will need a spare caliper if anyone in europe is upgrading to carbon :slight_smile:

I’ll take a look what Ape has for me.
I did get my downpipes from him already and will be getting the map and oil cooler kit too at some stage when got the money and not doing other bits :rofl:

Thanks for the info though I did have a feeling it might be worth upgrading if paying out lots anyway

Apparently these don’t fit it says

I’ve found the ECS ones which look nice. They claim they are 1lb lighter than stock.
I’m thinking might be an option. Unless Ape has something else.

Yes, you need both bleed screws on the Brembos as they have opposing pistons on opposite sides and bleeding one screw will not get the air out of the opposite side. You will need to carefully remove that broken bleeder or take it somewhere to have it done. Car will probably pull slightly to the opposite side if there is air there and reduce breaking performance.
I menitoned the C5 RS6 rotor above, I’ve mentioned before but I’ll say it again. It really is a better Rotor design than the RS5 rotor in that it has directional cooling slots whereas the RS5 cooling vanes are just straight. RS5 Left & Right are the same part #'s because they are not directional, C5 RS6 rotors have separate part #'s for the Left & Right because they are directional for better cooling. The great thing is since they’ve been around longer they tend to be cheaper. Basically C5 RS6, B8/B8.5 RS4/RS5, and most R8 front Cast Iron Brake rotors are interchangeable.

1 Like

Thanks Hahn, C5 RS6 I’ll have a look.
I’ve sent an email to Ape too

I went with 380mm fronts and 365mm rears from RAYLAND they both come with spacer kit for front and back cailpers I also fitted braided hoses and Carbotech front and rear pads.

It’s made a massive difference over OEM and you wouldn’t need anymore on track or road !!

Thank you. Yes, these fit both in dimensions and looks

The reason I keep going on about Zimmermann is because I think they might be the company making the stock. Not sure you get them across the pond but that is less than 300 USD for a front rotor.

They have another rear axle rotor that looks like the original as well.

I have those with the Hawk pads but never been on the car so can’t review the setup.

Those pads are supposedly good :slight_smile: according to accounts on the other forum using them with the ecstuning discs.

Those will work fine but remember that is one side since they are directional vanes, you must order the other side. I do like Zimmermann’s site as the pics have the full rotor dimensions. I had always heard the RS6 rear rotors would no work and I hadn’t test fitted a set to see but now on that site I see the rears are a 6.6mm different offset and a small amount larger at 335mm.

Thanks Steve, the 380mm ones I’ve seen from ECS in bundles too with lines and pads. I think Ape has emailed me too so I’ll see what he has.

At this moment I’m thinking ECS 380disks

No worries buddy👍
I have heard the ECS ones are not great and people still get fade on track with them.

I’ve pushed mine really hard and have never had brake fade at all. The bell housings on the Raylands are also compatible with AP Racing discs which is a bonus !
But for the money these are well worth it, im very happy with mine.
Hope that helps a little knowing my thoughts on the Raylands.

Thanks Steve,

Yes i will speak with Reyland as ECS take forever to respond, Do reyland do a drilled and grooved disk option. I know i sound picky but i do like a nice set of drilled and grooved disks.

For street use there is a small case for having both slotted and drilled rotors at least theoretically. Drilled, for the initial braking in the rain. The heatshield might help there a bit as well.

So for that extra comfort driving in the rain might be better if not going tracking.

If you drive on the highway a lot carbon ceramic might not be the best option either unless you keep the brakes warm.

Yes mine is street use. I do alot of runs on the dragstrip but brakes are not really used hard. I don’t plan on track unless I have a set of spare wheel and brakes which I don’t have.

What are the benefits of J hook disks, sorry if this is a total noob question

There are only a few brands of drilled rotors you would want. I know SHW out of Germany and Girodisc are two that have the holes cast into the rotors when the metal is poured whereas drilling a solid rotor for holes induces a lot more stresses. Even a rotor with cast in holes has higher stress points between holes than a solid rotor but the stresses are much less than a drilled rotor.

1 Like

The front steel brake calipers for the AUDI RS6 4B (c5) seems to be the same as for the B8 RS4 and RS; I am looking to buy a used caliper. The Brembo number is the same. Not sure where the matching parts for different VAG models was again.